× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Problems running Plex Media Server after 6.6.0 update

Pinkyg
Apprentice

Yeah did this for testing too Eckers. It's a decent enough workaround if you don't use the transcoding.
Message 26 of 82
Simondv81
Aspirant

I am trying to install the base arm version of plex 1.2.2 but it just doesn't install through the upload button. How did you do it please?

I have a 212 version

Message 27 of 82
StephenB
Guru

@Simondv81 wrote:

I am trying to install the base arm version of plex 1.2.2 but it just doesn't install through the upload button. How did you do it please?

I have a 212 version

It can take a few minutes after the upload completes.  Are you sure it failed?

Message 28 of 82
jhagg
Luminary

If you turn on alerts you will get an email that the application has installed successfully, or not.  Then you can refresh the apps page and turn on Plex.

Message 29 of 82
Simondv81
Aspirant

Thanks, got it install. Took a while.

On to the next issue......

I have plex media player on on the latest apple tv. When I try to play a movie it says:

Couln't create the playback session for this item.

Anyone's got an idea on how to solve this by anychance?

Thanks for the help

Message 30 of 82
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If your media needs to be transcoded and your hardware or the app you're running or both don't support transcoding then it's not going to work.

Message 31 of 82
StephenB
Guru

@Simondv81 wrote:

I have plex media player on on the latest apple tv. When I try to play a movie it says:

Couln't create the playback session for this item.

Is this an mp4?  I think there are still issues with plex transcoding and 6.6.0

If it is a normal mp4, then go into the network page of the plex server config.

-Add the IP address of the apple TV to the "List of IP addresses and networks that are allowed without auth"

-If that doesn't help, try downgrading the "

Message 32 of 82
Eckers
Guide

The base PMS software doesn't support transcoding

Message 33 of 82
Simondv81
Aspirant

Thanks for the replies. I beleive it's a transcoding issue. 

What I don't get is why plex works fine on the samsung plex app but not on the apple tv. 

Thanks for your help I will stick to the samsung app for the time being and wait for a resolution.

Message 34 of 82
StephenB
Guru

@Simondv81 wrote:

What I don't get is why plex works fine on the samsung plex app but not on the apple tv. 

The samsung platform must not need transcoding to render that movie. 

Message 35 of 82
StephenB
Guru

@Eckers wrote:

The base PMS software doesn't support transcoding

Well, if he downloaded the ARM 6.x RN2XX package, then he has the transcoding version,

Message 36 of 82
Pinkyg
Apprentice

Unfortunately that's the package that has a problem at the moment....
Message 37 of 82
Royalgipsy
Initiate

I am getting real tired of this, its getting really embarrassing at this time that no working Plex software in any way is available for the Netgear Ready NAS . The main reason I bought this **bleep** 3 days or so before the dread update was the possibillity to run the Plex server. I dont give a rats ass about transcoding, I just want the damn thing to stream my media to my devices in any way it can thru Plex now. I have terrabytes of media that is just worthless space for me without getting Plex to work. PLEX was specially mentioned in BIG LETTERS on the package when I bought it. Well so I am the one who is a complete idiot, or does BOTH Netgear and Plex have a responsability to make this work, together or for themselves if that is neccessary?  This is getting REALLY ridiculous at this time. I spent a lot of money on this setup, and a lot of time to get all my things from different machines and disks over to the NAS, making it work for a rather big household here.. Right now I do regret it, because I cannot even get back to the software versions that did work so great the first few days.. 

Message 38 of 82
viperhansa
Virtuoso

@Royalgipsy wrote:

I am getting real tired of this, its getting really embarrassing at this time that no working Plex software in any way is available for the Netgear Ready NAS . The main reason I bought this **bleep** 3 days or so before the dread update was the possibillity to run the Plex server. I dont give a rats ass about transcoding, I just want the damn thing to stream my media to my devices in any way it can thru Plex now. I have terrabytes of media that is just worthless space for me without getting Plex to work. PLEX was specially mentioned in BIG LETTERS on the package when I bought it. Well so I am the one who is a complete idiot, or does BOTH Netgear and Plex have a responsability to make this work, together or for themselves if that is neccessary?  This is getting REALLY ridiculous at this time. I spent a lot of money on this setup, and a lot of time to get all my things from different machines and disks over to the NAS, making it work for a rather big household here.. Right now I do regret it, because I cannot even get back to the software versions that did work so great the first few days.. 

Well, i understand the frustration, been there done that several times...

I have been running PLEX several years now and so far, fingers crossed it have more or less worked flawless.
Since there are several different PLEX versions and several Readynas versions to use and combine this issues occur now and then.

Just sit back and give it some time and it will be solved. It always have.. Let the geniuses work and you will see.

My setup is an old RN Pro Business (6x4TB) with upgraded cpu and more memory, running os 6.6.0. (and that is a gamble every update) 🙂

So my advice is, keep cool and check the forums all the time. The solution will be there sooner or later..

Best regards

Hans 

Message 39 of 82
Royalgipsy
Initiate

I am shure.. But really? The geniuses are paid for solving this, it's going in the direction of a certain company and it's selfcombusting units where the geniuses did not even find the real cause of the problem and just called of the entire product line. Since we dont hear a single word about progression, bad or good, I feel they are preparing to give up from both netgear and plex to support this software. We are after all in the lords year of 2016, in the age of information and development, with no lack of digital prodigys in the firms..

Message 40 of 82
Pinkyg
Apprentice

@Royalgipsy

The guys over at Plex do at least seem to be trying to put things right and I am confident they will eventually.

Netgear on the other hand appear to have washed their hands and finger pointed.....at least that's all I've witnessed thus far.

Maybe they are working behind the scenes but if they are then they should be communicating it better.

Message 41 of 82
StephenB
Guru

@Pinkyg wrote:

Netgear on the other hand appear to have washed their hands and finger pointed.....at least that's all I've witnessed thus far.

Maybe they are working behind the scenes but if they are then they should be communicating it better.

I have no information on the history of the development of the RN21x plex features.

But it's been clear for quite a while that the app is built by Plex, distributed by Plex and supported by Plex - and not Netgear.  Plex customers probably have more leverage with Plex than Netgear has.

Message 42 of 82
Pinkyg
Apprentice

Yes of course the app is built by Plex etc etc. Plex however didn't sell me a readynas advertised as being able to run a transcoding PMS - Netgear did that. Plex didn't update the firmware of my readynas without confirming that one if it's main selling points would continue to work. This is my problem with Netgear. They should have checked and communicated with the main app providers (especially Plex as it was all over their advertising) before releasing the update. That would be the professional way to do it....
Message 43 of 82
StephenB
Guru

@Pinkyg wrote:
They should have checked and communicated with the main app providers (especially Plex as it was all over their advertising) before releasing the update. 

Ok, but that ship has sailed.  

I don't see anything Netgear can do now.

Message 44 of 82
Pinkyg
Apprentice

You may well be right about that.

I'm hoping though that me harping on about it might plant a seed that improves the way they roll out their firmware updates in the future, with the customer in mind.

Here's hoping!
Message 45 of 82
jpcarro
Star

And how would Netgear feel if, when it's time to purchase a new NAS, those of us stung by this, look at other options??

Message 46 of 82
StephenB
Guru

@jpcarro wrote:

And how would Netgear feel if, when it's time to purchase a new NAS, those of us stung by this, look at other options??

I don't work for Netgear, but my guess is that they assume you will look at all your options when its time to purchase a new NAS.

Message 47 of 82
jpcarro
Star

What I'm intimating is that brand loyalty matters.  Of course, I would look at my options during a new purchase, but all things being equal (or close) between brands, I would stick with the brand I know and trust.  Netgear has ding'd that trust.  From the consumer perspective, Netgear claiming "not our problem", doesn't wash.

Message 48 of 82
StephenB
Guru

@jpcarro wrote:

From the consumer perspective, Netgear claiming "not our problem", doesn't wash.

Netgear does watch the forums, and certainly they are hearing the complaints.

Do you have any practical suggestions on what Netgear should do now?  Keeping in mind that Plex develops, distributes, and supports the plex server app.

FWIW, I am a customer, not an Netgear employee.

Message 49 of 82
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I ran some tests yesterday and I think I can see something from our end that might fix it. I have asked our engineering team about this.

Message 50 of 82
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 81 replies
  • 34 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements