× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN102 pulling Rsynch Backup from Linux Mint.

Trytohelp11
Aspirant

RN102 pulling Rsynch Backup from Linux Mint.

Good afternoon,

How  would like to configure my RN102 to backup the shared folder on my Linux Mint via Rsync. I would like to do as I would configure the NAS to connect to Linux Mint and pull off all the data from it.  Just like you would configure the NAS to NAS  to backup from a remote to local. 

It will be very appreciated if somebody will be able to help as I have been in contact to the Mint community but unfortunately they haven't got the NAS and didn't help with my request.

Basically it should be like you set up the nas to back up windows in Time stamp style.

Thank you very much in advance.

Trytohelp11

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN102 pulling Rsynch Backup from Linux Mint.

On the Mint device you need to have the rsync daemon, and it needs to be configured to allow access to the folder.  The Linux Mint folks should be able to help you with that. 

On the ReadyNAS-

You create a backup job on the RN102.

Source type is "remote", using "remote: Rsync Server"

Host is the IP address or the name of the Mint device (I generally use IP address)

Path is the name of the server folder

Logon/password are whatever the Mint device needs

Destination type is "share", using the share name.

If you want to mirror the server, then check "remove deleted files on target" on advanced.

Schedule is of course as you like it.

Options should have "first time" in "schedule full backup".  

I set "errors only" for completion, but that of course is up to you.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

On the Mint device you need to have the rsync daemon, and it needs to be configured to allow access to the folder.  The Linux Mint folks should be able to help you with that. 

On the ReadyNAS-

You create a backup job on the RN102.

Source type is "remote", using "remote: Rsync Server"

Host is the IP address or the name of the Mint device (I generally use IP address)

Path is the name of the server folder

Logon/password are whatever the Mint device needs

Destination type is "share", using the share name.

If you want to mirror the server, then check "remove deleted files on target" on advanced.

Schedule is of course as you like it.

Options should have "first time" in "schedule full backup".  

I set "errors only" for completion, but that of course is up to you.

Message 2 of 4
Trytohelp11
Aspirant

Hi there,

Thank you very much, I did imagine so, but is the mint side that i am not sure if i have to install a server or client. I suspect the server. Anyway thank you very much and have a nice day.

Regards

Trytohelp11

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Trytohelp11 wrote:

Hi there,

Thank you very much, I did imagine so, but is the mint side that i am not sure if i have to install a server or client. I suspect the server. Anyway thank you very much and have a nice day.

Regards

Trytohelp11

If you are using the ReadyNAS backup jobs, then you'd need to install the server (daemon).

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements