× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN204 OS 6.6 update; Plex update 1.2.2.2857 fails to launch with "Empty Resource Error"

jnandi
Aspirant

RN204 OS 6.6 update; Plex update 1.2.2.2857 fails to launch with "Empty Resource Error"

Ever since the latest firmware update to 6.6 on my RN204, the plex server app version 1.2.2.2857 is not working. After installing, when I click on the "On" button, I get the following error: Application failed to initialize: Empty Resource Error. Bad NML Call. 

Looked at multiple threads on both Netgear and Plex. Can't seem to figure out the solution. My plex server is dead!

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN204 OS 6.6 update; Plex update 1.2.2.2857 fails to launch with "Empty Resource Error&

Please see https://community.netgear.com/t5/Current-NETGEAR-and-Partners/Problems-running-Plex-Media-Server-aft...

Rebooting your NAS and waiting a handful of minutes or so should lead to the problem being resolved.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 13

All Replies
Mingus
Aspirant

Re: RN204 OS 6.6 update; Plex update 1.2.2.2857 fails to launch with "Empty Resource Error&quot

I'm having the exact same issue.

Having done some research it seems the issue is likely to be simply due to a PID file (.pid / Process Identification Number) that was left behind after a PLEX crash.  As far as I can understand, when Plex tries to restart it 'sees' its .pid file and assumes that it is already running and thus refuses to start up again.

The suggested fix involves navigating to the troublesome .pid file @ /apps/plexmediaserver/MediaLibrary/Plex Media Server/plexmediaserver.pid and deleting it.

I downloaded RAIDar in order to navagate to the .pid file (using the BROWSE feature), however I'm on a Mac and the MacOS version of RAIDar doesn't include the BROWSE feature (!!!) so I am unable to try this fix.

This seems to be a recurring issue with Plex following firmware updates - I'd really appreciate some advice for getting around it on a Mac.

Message 2 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN204 OS 6.6 update; Plex update 1.2.2.2857 fails to launch with "Empty Resource Error&

Message 3 of 13
Mingus
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply, but I'm unable to reach that link due to a server DNS error !?

Message 4 of 13
Mingus
Aspirant

Disregard that, I didnt breakdown that link properly, I just clicked on it.  

I'll try again and let you know if that work around is successful to access my .pid file.

Thanks.

Message 5 of 13
Mingus
Aspirant

Ok, thanks, that got me into my Plex Media Server directory...

Unfortunately no sign of the plexmediaserver.pid file (or any other pid files) there !

Is there any way the .pid file would be hidden, or am I having a different issue entirely?

Message 6 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 7 of 13
StephenB
Guru

If you are using ssh, it should be  /apps/plexmediaserver/MediaLibrary/Plex Media Server/plexmediaserver.pid  

/apps is a mount point for /data/.apps

So you could also try mapping the data volume to a PC drive letter.  If it is called data, then run cmd and enter

net use * /delete

net use t: \\nasipaddress\data /user:admin nasadminpassword

Be careful on the typing, particularly spaces and the direction of ths slashes.

This should mount the data volume as PC drive letter T:.  If you browse T with Windows set to show hidden files you should see the .apps folder.

Message 8 of 13
Mingus
Aspirant

Ok, from reading the PLEX Forums it looks like the upshot is that there is nothing I can do to resolve this issue - this is an incompatability between the Plex Media Server for RN2xx and the Netgear 6.6.0 firmware !!

Guess I won't be as eager to update my Netgear firmware next time around...

Message 9 of 13
Mingus
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already managed to get to my Plex Media Server folder to check for the plexmediaserver.pid file, but none exists.  This appears to be an unrelated issue due to inherent incompatability between the RN2XX version of the Plex server and the new 6.6.0 Netgear firmware.

Message 10 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

6.6.0 includes the first major core upgrade we've done (Debian 7 to Debian 😎 since releasing OS6 back in 2013.

Debian 9 is expected to be released next year, but we don't need to hurry to upgrade to that straightaway, but when/if we do we will mention it in the Release Notes.

We do also mention in the Release Notes when you can't downgrade after installing a firmware update.

Message 11 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please see https://community.netgear.com/t5/Current-NETGEAR-and-Partners/Problems-running-Plex-Media-Server-aft...

Rebooting your NAS and waiting a handful of minutes or so should lead to the problem being resolved.

Message 12 of 13
Mingus
Aspirant

Ok, despite trying every suggested trick (other than SSH) it took a full 24 hours for the fix to kick in...

but all looks good now!

Thanks.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements