× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN214 Plex malware file detected.

dabanh_freak
Tutor

RN214 Plex malware file detected.

Woke up this morning to find a strange warning message from my NAS

Antivirus scanner found a threat (Win.Malware.Triusor-6824994-0) in the file /data/.apps/plexmediaserver-annapurna/Binaries/Resources/Python/lib/python2.7/ensurepip/_bundled/pip-8.1.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl. Please delete the infected file soon.

No idea what this is, first time it has happened.  Should I delete the file? Uninstall?
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

It's almost certainly a false detection in the antivirus software (there are a couple of posts in the Clam AV forum reporting this).  https://lists.gt.net/clamav/users/74693

You could make sure the file is still in /data/.apps/plexmediaserver-annapurna/Binaries/Resources/Python/lib/python2.7/ensurepip/_bundled/

If you access the NAS with file explorer using the NAS admin credentials you can examine /data/.apps.  You do need to either enable viewing of hidden files in the PC, or enter the full path (using the backslash instead of the forward path).  For example, \\nas-ip-address\data\.apps\plexmediaserver-annapurna\Binaries\Resources\Python\lib\python2.7\ensurepip\_bundled

If the file isn't there, you'll probably need to disable the antivirus package, and reinstall plex.

Message 2 of 9
jljeeper
Tutor

Antivirus scanner found a threat ( Win.Malware.Triusor-6824994-0) in the file /apps/plexmediaserver-annapurna/Binaries/Resources/Python/lib/python2.7/ensurepip/_bundled/pip-8.1.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl. Please delete the infected file soon

Message 3 of 9
jljeeper
Tutor

I also got the same exact message thismorning

Antivirus scanner found a threat ( Win.Malware.Triusor-6824994-0) in the file /apps/plexmediaserver-annapurna/Binaries/Resources/Python/lib/python2.7/ensurepip/_bundled/pip-8.1.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl. Please delete the infected file soon

Message 4 of 9
Malius
Aspirant

I have the same message, and one more thing. This afternoon, all three of my disks turned RED in the System>Volumes page, and the Shares page tells me I have no shares. I hope these are unrelated. 

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Malius wrote:

I hope these are unrelated. 

I think they are unrelated, as the antivirus error is alreay identified as a false positive in the ClamAV forum (the ReadyNAS AV software is ClamAV),

Have you downloaded the logs and looked at the disk health (disk_info.log)?

Message 6 of 9
Malius
Aspirant

Yes, the disk health is perfect. I'm engaging in a chat support with Netgear, and they tell me that the "md127" or the NAS' data partition is gone.

Apparently the symptoms point to a file system or a "btrfs" issue.

I don't know what the cause coud be. There was no unusual activity -- in fact not much activity at all except for Time Machine backups, which were proceeding without problem. As for the virus, it's probably real, but irrelevant. It is a Windows virus and might pose a risk to hardware on my network, but not the NAS.

Support has been elevated a level or two, and an attempt to rebuild the volume will soon begin.

m

Message 7 of 9
o98n34c
Aspirant

I have been seeing Antivirus scanner find threats (Doc.Malware.Sagent-6865733-0) for the last 3 days.  So far, more than 100 files have been infected, which I have deleted.  There seems to be no stopping this.  HELP!  How do I stop this before it infects every file on my NAS?

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Others are seeing this, so it is likely a false positive (that is, the files probably aren't infected).

Try turning off the NAS Antivirus, and scanning the network shares or the files with a different AV package (something running on a PC).  If they pass, then try reporting this issue to ClamAV here: https://www.clamav.net/reports/fp

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements