× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN312 app install issues

ChiffaNe
Tutor

RN312 app install issues

I have recently had to do a factory reset on RN312 and when trying to set up back to where I was I have faced the following challenges:

1. TransmissionNT (from NasTools) does not install. I have managed to instal the other version from a 3d attempt though and it seems to be working fine.

2. I am unable to install homebridge - direct install wants libc 2.28 or higher and node.js can't find a version for jessie

3. Can't deploy a letsencrypt SSL certifcate as the only guide I found starts with wget certbot-auto and it is missing from the server

So bloody frustrated, that box has been running like clockwork for years before locking up for no apparent reason.

Message 1 of 11
AnishaA
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: RN312 app install issues

Hello @ChiffaNe ,

And welcome to the NETGEAR Community! 🙂

Please check your firmware version if it is not up to date(6.10.8) please update the firmware using the below steps. 

Please update your firmware to the latest version. Steps for upgrading or downgrading the Firmware :
1. Download the required firmware image from the google browser compatible with
 your ReadyNAS model. Link for the reference :
https://kb.netgear.com/000064653/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Software-Version-6-10-8
2. Open the NAS admin UI
3. Navigate to system >> settings >> update
4. Click on Install firmware >> browse the downloaded firmware
5. Click on upload.

Have a lovely day, 
Anisha A
Netgear Team 

Message 2 of 11
ChiffaNe
Tutor

Yes, I am on the latest version 6.10.8
Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@ChiffaNe wrote:
Yes, I am on the latest version 6.10.8

With all due respect to the mods - Jessie is really old, and installing 6.10.8 doesn't change that. It was superceded by Stretch back in 2017, and is now an Archived release. Getting current apps and libraries installed is increasingly a problem, and that is only going to get worse.

If you can get past your install challenges, I suggest making regular backups of your OS partition, to give you a better starting point if you need to do a factory default in the future.

Another approach is to get PC, and run your apps on the PC - mapping the NAS volume to a drive letter.  One of the 1-liter PC platforms would perform at least as well as your NAS (likely better).

Message 4 of 11
ChiffaNe
Tutor

I do backups of the data but never thought to backup the system partition, lol.

And getting another pc just to run homebridge and a couple of other odds and ends is a bit overkill for me, especially since I bought the ReadyNas specifically as it has extra power to run stuff.
Message 5 of 11
ChiffaNe
Tutor

So, can we expect Netgear to create and maintain a jessie repo or at least to adjust the pointers? I'm ok to use older versions if I can find load them.

Message 6 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

@StephenB , what method do you recommend for backing up the OS partition?

Message 7 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

@StephenB , what method do you recommend for backing up the OS partition?

If the NAS is booted normally, you need to remount it to /mnt.  From there you can copy /mnt with rsync or cp.

I haven't ever needed to restore it, but I think it is a good precaution.

Message 8 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

OK.  I thought maybe you'd figured out how to do it without having to go to SSH.

I just had a power failure with an UPS whose battery didn't hold and ended up with a NAS with a corrupt boot prom and one corrupt drive.  Had to USB recover the NAS, then boot with the good drive, then re-sync the other.  The OS partition was fine, but it got me thinking that I've made some changes to various configuration files and such and having to start over from a factory default wouldn't have been fun since I've not made especially good notes of the changes I've made.  If I had an OS volume backup, I wouldn't have been dreading maybe having to do the default.

Message 9 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

OK.  I thought maybe you'd figured out how to do it without having to go to SSH.

You could mount the OS partition to a mount point on the data volume at startup.  Then back it up anytime you like (including with ReadyNAS backup jobs).

Message 10 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

Yeah, I guess mounting it read-only to something more accessible would be pretty safe.  Still, you have to at least set things up initially in SSH, so not something everyone will be comfortable with.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements