× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN312 snapshots have disappeared - how to recover

s_khlm
Follower

RN312 snapshots have disappeared - how to recover

Hi,

There were a couple of similar discussions to this but none seemed to be solved. I have an RN312 (currently on OS 6.10.1) that we've been using in our small business for almost 6 years (so out of warranty) and have always used the snapshots feature (set to daily). It's always worked great but when I went to rollback a few files last week I noticed that all my old snapshots had completely disappeared. It had probably been a few months since I'd needed to roll anything back so I have no idea when it stopped working.

Log files show old snapshots being pruned successfully right up until the day I checked so I assume they are still in there somewhere. Coincidentally (or not), since I logged in new daily snapshots are being created fine with no changes from me except a reboot.

Since we're running a business I'd really like those snapshots back! I'd be happy to purchase a service contract if Netgear can recover my old snapshots, but don't want to waste my time/money if it's impossible. 

I usually try to upgrade the firmware within a few weeks of a new version being released.

So I my questions are:-

1. Are the snapshots recoverable?

2. Can I do it myself or can Netgear do under a purchased support contract?

Thanks in advance,

Sarah.

(FYI My networking technical knowledge is probably on the newbie level!)

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

@s_khlm wrote:

1. Are the snapshots recoverable?

The pruned snapshots were actually deleted.  It'd be difficult to recover them (and almost certainly impossible to recover the old ones, since the space has been re-allocated to new files).

You can control the pruning by switching to custom snapshots.   You'll still need to delete old ones (otherwise you will run out of disk space - and risk losing all your data).  You can do that either by setting a retention limit or by deleting them manually.

IMO, snapshots aren't a good mechanism for long term backup.  They are handly for short-term rollback.  But if you want or need to recover 6-year old files, you should invest in a system intended for long-term archival.  Also, RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe.  If the data is important to your business, you need a backup to a different device anyway.

Message 2 of 3
sklaw
Aspirant

Thanks, I guess I suspected they would be unrecoverable. We've always done weekly off-site backups as well so it's not the end of the world, just an inconvenience. 

I've looked back at the logs in more detail and can see the new snapshots stopped being created the day I upgraded to 6.10.1 on 19 June 2019. Always a risk when you upgrade something will break I suppose!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements