× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN31400 booting continuously

MGZS
Aspirant

RN31400 booting continuously

Hi all,

Up until recently the RN31400 had been working fine and then when I needed to move it and shut it down, it hung on shutdown.  The boot process takes forever and will complete 1 out of every 10 reboots - even then it will only respond very slowly when querying the top level folders and will then timeout.  It boots VERY slowly and will often get stuck on 99%.  I performed a disk check and all was ok.  

I have attempted to do an OS reinstall.  Nada.

I believe the logs files / backups are causing it to have issues so if I could get in there and clear those then I believe it would be ok.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 7
mdgm
Virtuoso

Re: RN31400 booting continuously

You can look into your suspicions from tech support mode (a boot menu option) as has been discussed in numerous other threads.

Message 2 of 7
StephenB
Guru

What firmware are you running?

@MGZS wrote:

I have attempted to do an OS reinstall.  Nada.

Are you saying that you couldn't do the install?  Or that it didn't help?

@MGZS wrote:

I believe the logs files / backups are causing it to have issues so if I could get in there and clear those then I believe it would be ok.

Have you tried to download the log zip file?  If you have, then was that successful?

If you have a current log zip file, then you can see the fullness of the OS partition.  Open volume.log and scroll down to the df -h section

=== df -h ===
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev             10M  4.0K   10M   1% /dev
/dev/md0        4.0G  1.1G  2.7G  29% /
tmpfs           1.9G     0  1.9G   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           1.9G  7.5M  1.9G   1% /run
tmpfs           962M   17M  945M   2% /run/lock
tmpfs           1.9G     0  1.9G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup

The /dev/md0 line shows the fullness of the OS partition.  Normally it is about 25% full.

Message 3 of 7
MGZS
Aspirant

I'm running 6.10.4.

I managed to get the device back up and running and one of the drives had died.  I replaced the drive, but also noticed in the admin portal it said (and still says) remove inactive volumes to use the disk - also saying No volume exists. NETGEAR recommends that you create a volume before configuring other settings.

This was working fine 2 days ago and when I connect to the device via (uncached) smb I can see all my folders there, just can't go a sub level.

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

If no volume is mounted, then the files aren't really there (even if the shares are still exported for some reason).

If you have a backup of the NAS, then the simplest solution is to do a factory default, reconfigure the NAS, and restore the data from backup.

You can also contact paid netgear support - they might be able to remount the volume (and they do offer a data recovery service if that is needed).

Message 5 of 7
MGZS
Aspirant

Paid netgear support is where this is heading...  Thanks all for your help.

Message 6 of 7
MGZS
Aspirant

Just to close this out.

I contacted Netgear support and there was an issue with one of the disks in the array.  Replacement disk did not kick off resync.  Data was recovered and then a factory reset was performed.

Device working as expected now.  Again, thanks to all for their suggestions.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements