× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN4220S NASOS 6.8.0/6.8.1 - Applications no longer working

UKGeoffnew1
Aspirant

RN4220S NASOS 6.8.0/6.8.1 - Applications no longer working

This week my RN4220S NASOS upgraded to 6.8.0 and then 6.8.1 but all the applications that were loaded and working perfectly for many months have stop working and initialising.

I can see that this is a known problem since the 6.8.0 release, due to connectivity between third party developer apps; and some people have mnaged through SSH to remove specific challenges to their apps - is there a known fix/patch for all previously installed apps?

Also no new apps are installing either....and a factory reset is also not an option.

I have tried removing (no luck) and reinstalling (no luck) manually - any help or support/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Geoff

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN4220S NASOS 6.8.0/6.8.1 - Applications no longer working

Hello UKGeoffnew1,

Thank you for the update and sharing resolution/work around,  it does appear that the NAS is working fine as it should. I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. You may also choose your reply as solution for the thread.

The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello UKGeoffnew1,

I understand that after upgrading the firmware of the NAS applications stops working and initializing. After upgrading to 6.8.0 some installed 3rd-party apps (including Plex) not appearing in the GUI and this was fixed on the 6.8.1 firmware version. On your case I would like to verify if the apps are still on the admin page and it just stop working and initializing or you are still encountering the same issue on the 6.8.0? Please try initializing and setting up the app using different computer and browser for isolation.

Welcome to the community!

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 8
UKGeoffnew1
Aspirant

Hi Marty_M,

Thanks for replying - i am stumped.  Using another computer and the NAS IP address, it doesn't connect.  The second eth port IP address does however work.

Using the main computer with a different browser I can access the system (using either eth port IP address).  The firmware is now at 6.8.1, but the apps will not initialize and the apps are not appearing on the main admin screen - but are installed when going to the apps screen.  I have tried to manually update and uninstall - no luck...

I don't know if this is important but the icons of the featured and the installed apps are not displaying either.

Any help would be gratefully received, as I have been using the server to back up all our business data, and access is essential as is overcoming the potential 'weirdness'.

Looking forward to becoming a useful community member.

Many thanks

Geoff

Message 3 of 8
UKGeoffnew1
Aspirant

And the fun continues.....

The 8.6.1 firmware seems to have resynched overnight and the application icons are now displaying.

All of the applications are now working with the exception of Plex.  

I also appear to have lost the ability to alter the server configuration.

Installing; initialzing; and uninstalling Plex are not working either through the app page or the firmware update (via settings).

I am getting an error of 'childNODES' when I attempt to update manually.

I know we will eventually get there and everything will be ultimately fixed, but was hoping to do something else with my weekend... 🙂

Any fixes; recommendations; help greatfully welcomed.

Geoff

Message 4 of 8
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello UKGeoffnew1,

It does appear that you are still encountering the Plex problem even after upgrading to 6.8.1 I would recommend to try to uninstall the Plex app from the NAS and try to download and install the app from the Plex media site then check if it will make any difference. 

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 8
UKGeoffnew1
Aspirant

Hi Marty_M,

thanks for the feedback and advice, but for some apparent reason i can't uninstall or delet the application from the NAS.

I have tried using the application tab ad also the settings tab, and in both instances i receive an error message and failure to uninstall.

I appear to be 'stuck'.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Geoff

Message 6 of 8
UKGeoffnew1
Aspirant

Hi Marty_M

I don't know if this is a good solution or not, but I pulled one of the drives - forced a resynch and then managed to uninstall plex and reinstall it as you have directed previously.

I saw from another user when they went to 6.5.x that they resorted to this and it worked - well it has worked again for 6.8.x.

For now we appear to have all our apps working including Plex.

I want to thank you all for your support, and hopefully this is now a stable NASOS environment.

Thankful that I am part of the community.

Geoff

Message 7 of 8
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello UKGeoffnew1,

Thank you for the update and sharing resolution/work around,  it does appear that the NAS is working fine as it should. I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. You may also choose your reply as solution for the thread.

The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements