× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN424 System volume root's usage is 90%

johnnyow
Aspirant

RN424 System volume root's usage is 90%

Hi,

I'm seeing this log message on my RN424:

Volume: System volume root's usage is 90%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions. Contact technical support.

My guess is that Plex is eating up a lot of diskspace.  Is there a way to safely either increase the root volume size or move the Plex database to another volume?

Thx.

Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN424 System volume root's usage is 90%

The plex database should be on the data volume (/data/.apps) - so I think the cause is likely something else.

What firmware are you running?

Do you have ssh enabled?

What other apps (or packages) are installed on the NAS?

Message 2 of 10
johnnyow
Aspirant

Firmware 6.9.5.

No other apps/packages installed.

SSH not enabled.  Only SMB, HTTP, and HTTPS services enabled.

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Ok. So DLNA and Antivirus are not enabled? 

Message 4 of 10
johnnyow
Aspirant

Correct, not enabled.

Message 5 of 10
johnnyow
Aspirant

I looked through some of the system logs but can't find anything obvious.  I do have a few emails in the queue that hasn't been sent for months (I never setup the email notification system).  I can't imagine that eating up so much disk space though.

Feb 16 10:31:50 Galactus msmtpq[9512]: mail [ 1 ] [ 2019-02-10-04.57.52 ] from queue ; send failed ; msmtp rc = 78
Feb 16 10:31:52 Galactus msmtpq[9957]: 22 more mails from queue failed to send with rc = 78

From etc-ls.log:

total 4732
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 4838002 Feb 10 18:27 hwdb.bin

Is this a typical size for hwdb.bin?  I'm guessing the file size is in bytes, so it should be okay?
Message 6 of 10
StephenB
Guru

It'd be wise to make sure you have an up-to-date backup of the files on the NAS.

To resolve the issue, you could use paid Netgear support (my.netgear.com).  If you are already familiar with the linux command line interface, you could go in with ssh and attempt to diagnose it yourself. 

Alternatively, you could do a factory reset, reconfigure the ReadyNAS and restore the files from your backup.

Message 7 of 10
johnnyow
Aspirant

I enabled ssh and logged onto the NAS.  There is a huge numer of chunk-stream1-xxxxx.m4s and sub-chunk-0000 files in the root of the system volume.  They are dated to just before I started getting the volume usage warnings.  Are they safe to delete?  I'm guessing they're from Plex, but this hasn't happened before.  And it's odd that they are in root.

Message 8 of 10
johnnyow
Aspirant

Deleted the files.  Seems to be okay.

Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@johnnyow wrote:

I'm guessing they're from Plex, but this hasn't happened before.  And it's odd that they are in root.

They are from Plex, and were used for real-time transcoding.  I agree it's odd that they are in root.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements