× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN42400 + ReadyNAS 6.9.5 and Surveillance

thebigerns
Aspirant

RN42400 + ReadyNAS 6.9.5 and Surveillance

I am exploring the video surveillance aspect of my ReadyNAS 424 + 6.9.5 and hitting loads of brick walls.

I intalled the ReadyNAS Surveillance app, but only get a login screen that doesn’t accept any password I use with Netgear. Then I went to the Netgear website to try and learn more, but was disappointed. There is a nice video about switches though. Then I used the page Chat feature to talk with a nice NETGEAR Business team member who happily sent me on to the mySupport page which promptly sent me here to beg for answers. 

Also, before coming here I tried the Milestone Arcus Surveillance app which runs but keeps saying that I need to be licensed. There is even a link it provides for me to buy one. Went to their website and, surprise, was exactly as informative and helpful as the Netgear site. 

Okay, so is it really possible to use my ReadyNAS server with IP cameras and HOW DOES THAT WORK?  Can anyone please point me in a direction more production than the road that leads me here?

Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN42400 + ReadyNAS 6.9.5 and Surveillance

I get why you are frustrated, as Netgear has offered two solutions in the past and abandoned them later.  Milestone Arcus was one of them.

So there is no Netgear solution (and honestly - given the history - if they offered another one I wouldn't use it).  There are some cameras that can write to network shares over FTP.  That might be one approach. 

A second approach (IMO better) is to find a third-party surveillance application, and host that on a PC.  Then set up the storage repository to be the NAS.  Ideally the surveillance software would directly support network shares, but even if it doesn't you could map a share to a PC drive letter.  I believe there are some folks here who are doing that (perhaps with Blue Iris???)

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: RN42400 + ReadyNAS 6.9.5 and Surveillance

I second the recommendation of Blue Iris.  It is what i use, and I run it on a Core2 Quad computer I would have otherwise just retired. It runs under Windows (10 in my case, but 7 works fine) and I generally access it via Windows Remote Access in house or it's own web inteface externally, though it does have an older monitor and keyboard attached (it's just inconveniently located).  Running a surveillance system on a headless system like a NAS never made sense to me, anyway.  You want a monitor!

I have 7 cameras, all 720P or better, and it handles them fine (with motion detection recording only).  No per-camera licensing, and basic cost is quite reasonable (added cost only for major updates).  I use my NAS as the archival repository for the videos, so storage on the PC can be small.

There are a lot of micro-PC's that would likely make a great host for Blue Iris if you don't have an old one to relegate to it.

BTW, I sent somebody to prison for 39 months based on Blue Iris video.  Once his lawyer saw the footage, he begged for a plea bargain.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements