× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RNDP4000 - ReadyNAS Pro 4- How to change all discs with larger discs and mantain all data and obtain

Bob245
Guide

RNDP4000 - ReadyNAS Pro 4- How to change all discs with larger discs and mantain all data and obtain

Hello to all
My ReadyNas Pro 4 (RNDP4000) has OS ver 6.10.3 and module of 1024 Mb system RAM.
I need to replace the current four 3 TB disks with four new 12 TB disks to obtain a new larger volume (there is a single volume).
In order to not start from scratch with the configuration, I thought of replacing a 3TB disk with a one 12TB disk and then wait for the volume rebuild. Then continue one after the other with the other discs (each time wait for the volume rebuild).
I am in no hurry and I can wait for the rebuild to be done every time....
At the end I hope to expand the volume including all the available space that will have been created because the disks are bigger.
What do you think? Will it work?
Bob

Model: RNDP4000|ReadyNAS Pro 4 Chassis only
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RNDP4000 - ReadyNAS Pro 4- How to change all discs with larger discs and mantain all data and...

@Bob245

That expansion method would be the best option, expanding the drives one by one and waiting for it to finish resync and then proceed with another.

Here are a few links for more information.

https://kb.netgear.com/23135/How-do-I-vertically-expand-an-X-RAID-2-volume-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-stora...

https://kb.netgear.com/23136/How-do-I-vertically-expand-a-Flex-RAID-volume-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-stora...

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 14

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RNDP4000 - ReadyNAS Pro 4- How to change all discs with larger discs and mantain all data and...

@Bob245

That expansion method would be the best option, expanding the drives one by one and waiting for it to finish resync and then proceed with another.

Here are a few links for more information.

https://kb.netgear.com/23135/How-do-I-vertically-expand-an-X-RAID-2-volume-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-stora...

https://kb.netgear.com/23136/How-do-I-vertically-expand-a-Flex-RAID-volume-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-stora...

Regards

Message 2 of 14
StephenB
Guru

Re: RNDP4000 - ReadyNAS Pro 4- How to change all discs with larger discs and mantain all data and ob

@Bob245 wrote:
My ReadyNas Pro 4 (RNDP4000) has OS ver 6.10.3 and module of 1024 Mb system RAM.

I'd upgrade the RAM to at least 2 GB as part of the project.  Some folks are starting to seeing out-of-memory issues on their legacy systems.  Currently shipping OS-6 NAS all have at least 2 GB of RAM, so that should be a safe amount. 

Message 3 of 14
Bob245
Guide

Hi Marc, the new 12TB discs have just arrived.
I inserted the first disk that was identified by the OS and is already being resynced.
I would say it will take 7/8 hours to complete. I would say that everything is going well.
Thanks for your valuable support. Bye. Bob

Message 4 of 14
Bob245
Guide

Re: RNDP4000 - ReadyNAS Pro 4- How to change all discs with larger discs and mantain all data and ob

Hi Stephen,

I gave an incorrect indication, I had already installed the 2GB of ram when I updated the Readynas to OS6.x.
In this regard, I ask to you where I can see the system ram installed in the administration pages of GUI interface?
Thanks. Bob

Message 5 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Bob245 wrote:

where I can see the system ram installed in the administration pages of GUI interface?

I don't believe it's there. You can look in mem_info.log in the log zip file, or use ssh

# free -h --si
Message 6 of 14
Sandshark
Sensei

One thing to remember is that you should insure your backup is up to date before doing this.  Replacing the drives one by one will put the most stress on them, and a drive near failure may be pushed over the edge.  With RAID5, the loss of one drive while another is syncing destroys the volume.  Note that each old drive becomes out of sync as it is replaced, so you don't have the option of going beck to the old drives if you find later that you should have made a backup.

Message 7 of 14
Bob245
Guide

Fantastic...! Thanks

Bob

total  used  free  shared  buffers  cached
Mem:               2.0G   1.9G  155M  4.3M    2.6M     304M
-/+ buffers/cache:        1.6G  463M
Swap:              1.0G   36K   1.0G

Message 8 of 14
Bob245
Guide

I thank you for the consideration that indicates that it is absolutely true and that I had not considered.
I'm on the last of the 4 discs which is already 25% rebuild.

So I already have all the new disks on the NAS. We hope to get to the end without problems.

Message 9 of 14
Bob245
Guide

Hi Sandshark,

yesterday, almost at the end of office hours, the rebuild phase of the last new disk inserted was completed and in the NAS log report the last is this "Disk: Disk in channel 4 (Internal) changed state from RESYNC to ONLINE" . So all OK.

But this morning by connecting remotely to the office, I realized that the status of the NAS is "Healthy" (with green bullet) but on the side it says "Volume Resyncing" and it is already at 66% indicating that it will still take many hours to end.

I was convinced that the rebuild of each disc was enough, instead it seems to be doing a general rebuild of the whole volume.

Is this normal this behavior?

At the end of this "Volume Resyncing" will I have already an expanded volume to the maximum capacity due to the new disks?

Or will I have to do an expansion procedure since previously the volume was made with 4 x 3TB disks, while now it is with 4 x 12TB disks?

I think it's not necessary because from the admin page it tells me that the volume is 32.7 TB, but I ask you what you think about all. Thanks

Bob

Message 10 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Bob245 wrote:

I was convinced that the rebuild of each disc was enough, instead it seems to be doing a general rebuild of the whole volume.

Is this normal this behavior?

The UI messages can be a bit confusing here. When you insert larger disks, there are two steps.  First you need to rebuild the existing RAID groups; then you either need to create a new RAID group that uses the extra space, or you need to expand/re-organize an existing RAID group.

I think your first message was just the completion of the first step, and that the second step is still in progress. Note that the amount of time increases as the volume grows, so the last disk will take the longest.

Though it is also possible that something else has triggered the resync of the final disk.  You might want to download the log zip file, and look for disk errors (for instance ATA errors) in system.log and kernel.log.  Perhaps also take a look at disk_info.log.

Message 11 of 14
Bob245
Guide

Hi,

the resyncig ended last night. Now the volume is "Healthy".

The size is 32Tb so I think it has already expanded the volume automatically.
I checked the various logs and there are no errors.
At this point I would say that by inserting the new disks one at a time, if all goes well, an automatic volume expansion is made based on the new space that is created. I'd say everything is ok.

I think I will open a new thread to understand if and how I can use the snapshot functionality and how it would be good to configure it, counting that I would use this NAS as a second storage backup for Veeam. Have you some suggestion or a document about snapshot use?

Thanks for your valuable support. Bob

Message 12 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Bob245 wrote:

The size is 32Tb so I think it has already expanded the volume automatically.

4x12TB will give you a 36 TB volume.  But the NAS reports the size in TiB (1024*1024*1024*1024 bytes).  36 TB is the same as 32.7 TiB, so your volume has fully expanded.

@Bob245 wrote:

Have you some suggestion or a document about snapshot use?

I posted some info on this a while ago - the link is here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Backup-snapshots-Best-Practices/m-p...

There is some info in the kb articles - for example

https://kb.netgear.com/23353/How-does-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system-use-snapshots-to-protect-my-da...

Searching in Google for snapshots site:kb.netgear.com will bring up some more.  Note as I stated in my earlier post - I don't recommend using the "smart snapshot" setting in the NAS.  Custom snapshots are better approach, because they give you control over retention.

Message 13 of 14
Bob245
Guide

Hi,

thank you for the links about the "Snapshot", it was enough to understand the operation and I have already configured.

I will try, in the next days, to understand the size taken by the snapshots when there are Veeam vbk and vib files in the share.
It is certainly better to start with the "custom" option. Many many thanks!!

Bob

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements