× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RaidR

PWS442
Guide

RaidR

Any plans to get a driver for Mac OS 10.15 Catalina for RaidR?

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RaidR

Hi PWS442,

RAIDar 6.5.0 for Mac OS Catalina was already fixed so you should be able to install it now on that version. We just tested it before we were able to use RAIDar on Catalina.

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 18

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Are you talking about RAIDar?  If so, it doesn't use a driver.

Message 2 of 18
PWS442
Guide

Well, when I open the System Report showing the Applications installed on my MacBook Pro running OSX 10.14.6 Mojave, it does show up as a 32-bit App. Apple and others say that these will not run under Catalina. I realize that the Web page interface will Probably still work, but RAIDar will not, so it says. (BTW: My Canon Printer/Scanner is in the same boat, alas)

Message 3 of 18
StephenB
Guru

Are you running RAIDar 6.5 for MacOS?  Or an older version?

@PWS442 wrote:

Well, when I open the System Report showing the Applications installed on my MacBook Pro running OSX 10.14.6 Mojave, it does show up as a 32-bit App. Apple and others say that these will not run under Catalina.

That's not a driver issue.

Message 4 of 18
PWS442
Guide

Yes, 6.5. Not trying to argue, but the System Display says it is 32-bit. NetGear ReadyNAS 6.10.1 is probably going to be fine. The locator software in RAIDar says no good. Not implying it is a driver, just that the code that runs in the OS is not 64-bit. This is not a deal-breaker for Catalina, but the Canon and Logitech's Harmony One software give me cause for concern. I can always use my wife's older MacBook, as it cannot be upgraded to Mojave, much less Catalina.

Message 5 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@PWS442 wrote:

Yes, 6.5. Not trying to argue, but the System Display says it is 32-bit. ... Not implying it is a driver

Netgear will obviously need to rebuild it.  @JohnCM_S, is this on Netgear's to-do list?

FWIW, your initial post was confusing, since you did talk specifically about a driver update (which made no sense) with no context.

@PWS442 wrote:

ReadyNAS 6.10.1 is probably going to be fine. 

That doesn't run on the Mac at all, so that won't be a problem.

Message 6 of 18
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @PWS442, @StephenB,

I will ask the appropriate team that handles this if it is already on their to-do list. I will provide an update once I get feedback.

Regards,

Message 7 of 18
PWS442
Guide

Thank you very much. Not for RAIDar, but there are far too many reasons to hold off on Catalina for the time being. God, look at all the posts at MacRumors and OSX Daily!

Message 8 of 18
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi PWS442,

Just an update, we have already sent a request to the appropriate team to rebuild the RAIDar app for the MacOS Catalina.

Regards,

Message 9 of 18
PWS442
Guide

Still waiting for a Catalina version for the MacOS. RAIDar_6.5.0.dmg will not even install as it is a 32 bit executable.

“RAIDar.app” needs to be updated.

The developer of this app needs to update it to work with this version of macOS. Contact the developer for more information.

I cannot access the RN314 via the Admin screen. Was hoping to get to the logs and see what is wrong with my NAS.

Message 10 of 18
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi PWS442,

RAIDar 6.5.0 for Mac OS Catalina was already fixed so you should be able to install it now on that version. We just tested it before we were able to use RAIDar on Catalina.

Regards,

Message 11 of 18
PWS442
Guide

Thank you, oddly yesterday, the .dmg file did not install a new executable, but today it successfully installed 6.5.0. Now only if the resync would finish so I can replace disk4. I have gone from redundant to degraded.

Message 12 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@PWS442 wrote:

Now only if the resync would finish so I can replace disk4. I have gone from redundant to degraded.

Is disk 4 resyncing?  

It's always dicey to resync with a failing disk in the system.  Hopefully you have a backup.

Message 13 of 18
PWS442
Guide

As I said, yes I am resyncing, and yes, I am making a backup. Concurrently they are both active. That was the jist of my concern.

I am 40.8% complete with the resync. 2 days ago was at 30%. My backup probably has just as long to complete.

Message 14 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@PWS442 wrote:

As I said, yes I am resyncing, and yes, I am making a backup. Concurrently they are both active. That was the jist of my concern.

If disk 4 is the disk that is resyncing, then you could simply pull it.  That would probably speed the backup, and it would also eliminate any chance that the resync will uncover a problem with one of the other disks.

However, if it's not about disk 4, then you probably should leave it alone and hope that the backup completes successfully.

Message 15 of 18
PWS442
Guide

It is disk 4. If I replace it, won't that start the resync over again? And, is that a bad thing if it is already degraded? Very confused.

Couldn't wait anymore. Pulled it. "Recover: 0.01%".

Pray for me!

Message 16 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@PWS442 wrote:

It is disk 4. If I replace it, won't that start the resync over again? And, is that a bad thing if it is already degraded? Very confused.

Normally with XRAID/RAID-5 you have protection from a single disk failure.  When the system is resyncing, that protection is lost - so the volume is described as "degraded".

Disk 4 was already not in the array (the resync was trying to add it back).  The risk you were running is that another disk might have some errors.  If that were to happen, the volume itself would fail, and you'd lose all the data.

Pulling disk 4 actually reduces the odds of that happening.  The resync needs to read or write every sector on all four disks.  The backup doesn't require that - for instance, it doesn't need to read free space at all.  In any event, you were going to replace disk 4 anyway.  So there's no point in trying to add a failing disk back into the array - it just was increasing the odds of losing your data, and slowing down the backup speed.

The best strategy is to have a backup plan in place, so you are always prepared for a volume failure. RAID protection is nice to have, but it isn't enough to keep your data safe.

Message 17 of 18
PWS442
Guide

BTW: Kudos for the new UI in RAIDar. Much cleaner than the older versions.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements