× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ready NAS Duo power light blinking

RoPri
Aspirant

Ready NAS Duo power light blinking

So i recently bought this Ready NAS Duo from ebay, and set it up. The shares were appearing on the network and all was fine. Then i turn it off by holding down the power button ready for the next day. The next day, i turn it on, and the power light is blinking blue, no other light is on, only the power light slowly blinking on and off.

I have tried everything, even bought new RAM. It doesnt appear in the RAIDar and doesnt appear in the network. The admin panel also doesnt load.

I have two 500gb drives in there, i have switched sides they are one when it boots up, and even tried it with no drives at all.

Any help appreciated.

Model: RND2000|ReadyNAS Duo Chassis only
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
RoPri
Aspirant

Re: Ready NAS Duo power light blinking

So what if i just buy new drives for the NAS, and put them in. Im assuming that would work so i will just do that.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@RoPri wrote:

So i recently bought this Ready NAS Duo from ebay

Does the front panel say "Duo" or "Duo v2"?

@RoPri wrote:

and even tried it with no drives at all.

Did you try RAIDar with no drives inserted?

@RoPri wrote:

even bought new RAM

Put back the original RAM - at least for now.  

Message 2 of 7
RoPri
Aspirant

The NAS is Netgear RND2000 V2, i have tried RAIDar without any drives, and it shows up. I'm now going to put only one of the drives in and see which one works when by itself.

Message 3 of 7
RoPri
Aspirant

Update:

It doesnt work with the first WD Blue 500gb drive, and the other drive (Seagate Barracuda 500GB) also doesnt work.
So when any one of the drives are in the slots, it does the same thing and wont appear in RAIDar.

So now im not sure what to do.

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@RoPri wrote:

It doesnt work with the first WD Blue 500gb drive, and the other drive (Seagate Barracuda 500GB) also doesnt work.
So when any one of the drives are in the slots, it does the same thing and wont appear in RAIDar.

So now im not sure what to do.

Test the drives in a Windows PC with vendor tools (Seatools and Lifeguard).  Run the full non-destructive test, and then the full erase / write zeros test.  If they pass, then put them back in the NAS and power up - it will then do a fresh factory install.

FWIW, these aren't great disk choices, though you don't have a good option for 500GB.  If you go larger, then Seagate Ironwolf and WD Red drives are better choices.

@RoPri wrote:

Then i turn it off by holding down the power button ...

The NAS is Netgear RND2000 V2

If you have a v2, then you powered down the wrong way. You should have pressed the power button briefly twice to do a clean shutdown.

Though I want to emphasize that the labels here are confusing, and many Duo v1 owners mistakenly think they have a v2.  The v2 has Duo v2 on the front panel.  A v1 has Duo on the front panel - but often will say RND2000 v2 on a label somewhere else. 

Message 5 of 7
RoPri
Aspirant

So what if i just buy new drives for the NAS, and put them in. Im assuming that would work so i will just do that.

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@RoPri wrote:

So what if i just buy new drives for the NAS, and put them in.

No guarantees that will work - it is quite possible that something failed in the chassis.  After all, you are taking about hardware that is at least 9 years old.   Also some of the older legacy models are very fussy about what memory they will accept.

If you try this, make sure the drives are 2TB or smaller.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements