× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 2nd factor authentication, Does anyone know if/or/how/when, ReadyNAS would support it.

dionuk
Star

ReadyNAS 2nd factor authentication, Does anyone know if/or/how/when, ReadyNAS would support it.

HI, Does anyone know if/how/when/ ReadyNAS would be able to support 2nd factor authentication, with either a YUBIKEY with Yubico OTP, Oath-HOTP, Oath-TOTP, Challenge Response, FIDO U2F, or Google Authenticator, and if ReadyCLOUD and the Physical ReadyNAS already support Yubikey, can anyone point me to some documentation as to how to implement it please. (preferably want to use FIDO-U2F) Readynas OS 6.5.0, RN314

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS 2nd factor authentication, Does anyone know if/or/how/when, ReadyNAS would support it.

Hi dionuk,

Your idea to improve the security of the product is very much appreciated, and we thank you for sharing your interest in this. I suggest that you post this idea at the Idea Exchange board. 

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS 2nd factor authentication, Does anyone know if/or/how/when, ReadyNAS would support it.

Hi dionuk,

Your idea to improve the security of the product is very much appreciated, and we thank you for sharing your interest in this. I suggest that you post this idea at the Idea Exchange board. 

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community team

Message 2 of 8
dionuk
Star

Thanks for the reply, can you please post a link to the board you mentioned as I am running round in circles on this site trying to find it. 

Kind regards

Dion

Message 3 of 8
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi dionuk,

Here you go.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 8
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

I informed the product team over a year ago about customers wanting more 2-factor authentication support on ReadyNAS. I personally use Yubikey and have many authenticators as well.

We currently have file system level encryption built-in but it requires USB and is not compatible with 2FA.

What's your expectation on how 2FA would be used for ReadyNAS/ReadyCLOUD? What are you planning to unlock/lock? 

Message 5 of 8
dionuk
Star

its a more secure way of logging into readycloud when you are not on your LAN, Google, github, dropbox all make use of U2F on Yubikey, and just wondered if that would be an option in the near future. 

Message 6 of 8
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

So, you're just looking more for 2FA when outside the network, nothing 2FA within ReadyNAS itself? 

I'm just trying to get more information of what customers actually want, since we're not mind-readers, and want to make sure we don't misunderstand what you actually want. There's many different applications for 2FA. 

Message 7 of 8
dionuk
Star

I understand what you mean, I have this thing about security and encryption, all my laptops and pc's have encrypted drives, as well as using yibkey challenge response to log into the computers as well. I use Yubikey wherever I can, and just thought its another extra layer when logging into the readynas or on readycloud. I'm thinking of using Readynas in my business and I would like to have a 2nd factor authentication on my company LAN when acessing ReadyNAS Web GUI on LAN.... and on Readycloud WAN GUI access. The Reason why I was thinking FIDO-U2F, is that is the newest of all the Yubikey technologies, does not require web access to make it work where with Yubikey OTP you need the yubicloud web service unless you run your own validation server (which I am not going to do) FIDO-U2F seems to be the more sensible option. I know you can implement Challenge response on Linux systems with the PAM module, but I don't want to fiddle around with that on my ReadyNAS unless it is properly supported. I am using the PAM module on MAC OS X for Yubikey Challenge response mode for Logon to MAC OS X, and the implementation on Linux is roughly the same as Linux and MAC both use the PAM module for account authentication. I hope I make sense. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements