× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 428 Shows constant read activity

bpmitche
Follower

ReadyNAS 428 Shows constant read activity

Hello - 

I'm running a ReadyNAS 428 using the 6.10.2 firmware and a total array size of 8 x 10 TB in Raid6.  I've noticed that the server is _constantly_ churning and grinding, and the admin panel shows near constant read activity.  I use my NAS as a file and Plex Media server, with extremely low utilization, so I'm concerned about why the server seems to be constantly reading and re-reading the data.  Can someone explain this behavior, and how to stop it?  Are there any settings I should be investigating?

Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 428 Shows constant read activity

@bpmitche wrote:

I'm running a ReadyNAS 428 using the 6.10.2 firmware and a total array size of 8 x 10 TB in Raid6.  I've noticed that the server is _constantly_ churning and grinding, and the admin panel shows near constant read activity.  I use my NAS as a file and Plex Media server, with extremely low utilization, so I'm concerned about why the server seems to be constantly reading and re-reading the data.  Can someone explain this behavior, and how to stop it?  Are there any settings I should be investigating?

There are some background things that might be going on,but they generally aren't continuous.

The file search might be indexing, the AV package might be scanning, and auto-defrag might be looking for files to defrag.  All that stuff can be turned off.

Plex might also be searching for metadata or new files - particularly if you just set it up.  You'd have to turn off plex to really tell though.

Another way to probe this is to connect to the NAS with ssh and run top - looking for processes that are consuming CPU for instance.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements