× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 4312v2 - Web Admin Page Management

WLauHK
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 4312v2 - Web Admin Page Management

Dear Sir,

May I know if the web admin page management allows to set a role who can only manage the snapshots or monitor the NAS performance, but cannot browser or download the files under shares?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Winnie 

Model: ReadyNAS-4200v2|ReadyNAS 4200v2
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 4312v2 - Web Admin Page Management

@Sandshark wrote:

But to answer your question, there is no such user type on a ReadyNAS.

Yeah.  There is no way to limit what an admin can access.

@WLauHK - it might be helpful if you gave us more details on what you need to accomplish.

If you need to ensure that some files/folders are kept completely private, then setting up an iSCSI LUN, and putting iSCSI clients on the PCs would accomplish that.  TrueCrypt containers would be another way.  Those approaches work because the encryption key for the storage repository is stored in the clients, and is not on the NAS.  One aspect is that the files can't be shared - only one user can access the repository at a time.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

If "managing snapshots" means being able to browse them, then that user will effectively have access to all files except those in shares without snapshots.  And I'm not sure if it's even possible in BTRFS to allow other management without the ability to browse them (for file restoration purposes).

But to answer your question, there is no such user type on a ReadyNAS.  There are Linux based tools you can install to help monitor the NAS and have them put their output in a share available to specific users or even send them to another device on the network.  I use HDSentinel in a way similar to that because the GUI does not give me all the drive info for my non-Netgear SAS expansion chassis.  And there are also built-in ones (like rnutil and BTRFS tools) you can use in the same way, but you have to set all that up via SSH and scripts and schedule them.

Some useful command for that:

rnutil create_system_log -o [path_and_name_of_file]>.zip
df -h >[path_and_name_of_file].txt
btrfs fi usage -T / >>[path_and_name_of_file].txt
btrfs fi usage -T /data >>[path_and_name_of_file].txt
btrfs fi show >>[path_and_name_of_file].txt
rnutil get_disk_info >>[path_and_name_of_file].txt

And if running HDSentinel:

/apps/hdsentinel/HDSentinel -solid >>[path_and_name_of_file].txt
/apps/hdsentinel/HDSentinel -r [path_and_name_of_file].html -html

I have the file names created based on the time and date and include commands later in the script that clean out old stuff. , I also send the reports to another NAS via rsync so I have the reports stored elsewhere if the NAS quits working.

But, a lot of folks get a NAS instead of a generic Linux server because they don't want to deal with this type of stuff.

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

But to answer your question, there is no such user type on a ReadyNAS.

Yeah.  There is no way to limit what an admin can access.

@WLauHK - it might be helpful if you gave us more details on what you need to accomplish.

If you need to ensure that some files/folders are kept completely private, then setting up an iSCSI LUN, and putting iSCSI clients on the PCs would accomplish that.  TrueCrypt containers would be another way.  Those approaches work because the encryption key for the storage repository is stored in the clients, and is not on the NAS.  One aspect is that the files can't be shared - only one user can access the repository at a time.

Message 3 of 5
WLauHK
Aspirant

Thanks for your suggest.

Setting up iSCSI lun and clients is a way, but it may not suitable for large amount of data. It takes longer time for data recovery. 

Message 4 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

If you do decide to look at VeraCrypt containers as an option, be sure to turn "strict sync" off in any share containing them.  Strict Sync significantly hinders write operations to VeraCrypt containers.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements