× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 526x00 can't access boot menu

Ashtrayq
Tutor

ReadyNAS 526x00 can't access boot menu

I have a ReadyNAS, model RN526x00 and after a restart the it only displays "Netgear Storage Welcome". I cannot reset it or access the boot menu. I tried to use my recovery USB but had no luck.
Even doing a hardware reset does not change the situation.
Can you give me some suggestions.

Thank you

Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Ashtrayq wrote:
I have a ReadyNAS, model RN526x00 and after a restart the it only displays "Netgear Storage Welcome". 

Power down the NAS, remove all disks (labeling them by slot) and then power up.  Then let us know if the display changes.

Message 2 of 6
Ashtrayq
Tutor

No change, I tried to call the things mentioned in my first post without the drives in and still all I get is the "Netgear Storage Welcome" on the screen.
Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Ashtrayq wrote:
No change, I tried to call the things mentioned in my first post without the drives in and still all I get is the "Netgear Storage Welcome" on the screen.

I'm not certain on the 526, but with older ReadyNAS that suggests a failed power supply.  @Sandshark might have some thoughts.

Message 4 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

Unfortunately, I have no experience with that model.  It could be the power supply, but there are a lot of other things it could be as well.  The only two other replaceable components are the RAM and CPU.  I suspect that, as with earlier machines, the display comes up with the default even if the motherboard isn't booting.  With a newer model like the 526, the power supply would be low on my list of suspects.

In photos in the hardware manual, there are two unlabeled openings.  I suspect one if the typical UART port (probably 3.3V).  Is the other a mini display port?  The only way you are likely to determine anything more, short of just swapping things out to see if they help, is to get access to a motherboard-level display and see if the BIOS is even booting.

Message 5 of 6
Ashtrayq
Tutor

After reading the last 2 posts mentioning a possible hardware issue, I took the 526x apart and removed all the parts to examine them one by one for problems. I did not see any obvious issues so I blew off what little dust there was and made sure everything was as clean as possible put everything back together and mustering as much hope as I could I turned it on and to my absolute surprise she booted right up. Thanks for the assistance.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements