× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 626 terminal app?

alangstein_QMC
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 626 terminal app?

I have several ReadyNAS 626x devices running in a large corporate environment.  I have added them to the ADS and I can access them and ping them by IP address.  When I try to address them or ping them by device name they are not found.  For troubleshooting purposes IT has asked me to do some windows cmd functions (Nslookup & set) which I cannot do because these are not windows machines and there is no CMD or terminal app.  

Is there a terminal type app that can run similar commands?

Thanks,

AGS

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 626 terminal app?

@alangstein_QMC wrote:

For troubleshooting purposes IT has asked me to do some windows cmd functions (Nslookup & set) which I cannot do because these are not windows machines and there is no CMD or terminal app.  

Normally you enable ssh in the admin web ui (system->settings->services)

Then enter ssh root@nas-ip-address or ssh root@nas-name into the windows search bar on your PC.  You'll need to trust the NAS credential, and then you'll get a password prompt.  Use the NAS admin password.

At that point you will be access the linux command line interface (CLI) of the NAS - the equivalant of CMD.

Of course it isn't windows, so you'll have to use linux commands.  nslookup will work.  No idea what they want you to do with set, but just entering set will list the environment parameters (as it does in Windows).

You do need to be careful, especially if you aren't familar with linux.  

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

PuTTY could be a good choice - free, and secure -> https://www.putty.org/

Message 2 of 6
alangstein_QMC
Aspirant

thank you,

I know of PuTTy as a windows app.  I'm looking for an app that runs on the ReadyNAS itself.  Does PuTTy have an app that runs on the ReadyNAS?

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Poussin's Shell in a box ... search for ssh in the Apps. Unclear why one does want another port exposed...

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@alangstein_QMC wrote:

For troubleshooting purposes IT has asked me to do some windows cmd functions (Nslookup & set) which I cannot do because these are not windows machines and there is no CMD or terminal app.  

Normally you enable ssh in the admin web ui (system->settings->services)

Then enter ssh root@nas-ip-address or ssh root@nas-name into the windows search bar on your PC.  You'll need to trust the NAS credential, and then you'll get a password prompt.  Use the NAS admin password.

At that point you will be access the linux command line interface (CLI) of the NAS - the equivalant of CMD.

Of course it isn't windows, so you'll have to use linux commands.  nslookup will work.  No idea what they want you to do with set, but just entering set will list the environment parameters (as it does in Windows).

You do need to be careful, especially if you aren't familar with linux.  

Message 5 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

Since you are in a corporate environment, you may also be running a version of Windows without the SSH client, and that's where PuTTY can help you connect to the SSH shell of the NAS.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements