× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Factory Reset - Licenses

Brannor_McThife
Follower

ReadyNAS Factory Reset - Licenses

Hi Guys,

(Brannor here... forum move and couldn't recover my password... 😐 )

I had to factory reset my 104 after the 6.4.0 Firmware...so lost everything.  I have my license keys, but it won't accept my input.  What do I do?

-G

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
Brannor
Guide

They have been reset. I then activated them. Exported each one and have stored in my cloud and locally. Then used the Offline tool to re-enable them and activate again. All good.

Thank you mdgm for your help.

-G

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 16

All Replies
Brannor
Guide

(Got my password sorted. 🙂 )

But still need my licenses. 😞

Message 2 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Licenses for what?

Message 3 of 16
Brannor
Guide

Erm, sorry.  I did tag it with Surveillance.

My ReadyNAS Surveillance licenses.

-G

Message 4 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You need to deactivate/deregister your licenses before doing a factory reset. You could contact support and ask them to reset the licenses.

Message 5 of 16
Brannor
Guide

"You need to deactivate/deregister your licenses before doing a factory reset"

I upgraded my FW on Thursday morning... I waited till Sunday evening and it never moved out of "Booting...".  Nothing I could do would give me access to be able to do anything on the Surveillance app.  So I was left with having to do a reset.

"You could contact support and ask them to reset the licenses."

ReadyNAS support?  You mean, I must pay for something that show be built into the licensing?  i.e. same license codes for same physical NAS.  I would think the licensing model would at least be able to detect that it's being applied against the same NAS.

-G

Message 6 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There are alternatives to doing a factory reset if a NAS is stuck on booting, but in any case you've done the factory reset now.

You shouldn't need to pay anything further to simply get the licenses reset.

Message 7 of 16
Brannor
Guide

Ok.  I've submitted a ticket and will report back how that goes.

Thansk for your help.  I'll maybe backup and clear the drive next time before doing a FW upgrade.  Might have been the amount of data... but 72+ hours is a very long time to have my cameras down. 😞

-G

Message 8 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Note you will need to let support know your license key(s) so they can process the license reset request.

Message 9 of 16
Brannor
Guide

Have done so.  Thanks.

-G

Message 10 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The license reset request has been submitted. We will let you know once it has been completed.

Message 11 of 16
ifixidevices
Luminary

You sound very hostile towards him for a piece of software that was released that caused a lot of problems for the RN104 (and it's still telling people to update to 6.4.0)

How was he supposed to know? Not to mention that netgear security licenses are pretty expensive. I don't get why you come off as so pissed at a customer who spent money with you and now has a problem caused by netgear.

Message 12 of 16
Brannor
Guide

Hey iFix.

It's ok.  They're helping me get it sorted.  I'll export license backups afterwards as I read about that after finding out I couldn't submit it again until they are deactivated.

mdgm has always been a great help in the past, and I am not upset with him/her.

Just think it's bad design on the license design process that should take the serial number of the NAS and register the licenses against that.  So if you ever re-install the software, the NAS simply downloads your licenses again.  But that's just me... the idealist software architect. 😛

-G

Message 13 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I certainly wasn't meant to be coming across as annoyed.

There are alternatives to doing a factory reset that could perhaps have lead to a quicker resolution. My comment on that was more for future reference and for others coming across this thread who may be thinking about doing a factory reset.

Message 14 of 16
Brannor
Guide

They have been reset. I then activated them. Exported each one and have stored in my cloud and locally. Then used the Offline tool to re-enable them and activate again. All good.

Thank you mdgm for your help.

-G
Message 15 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Glad to be of help.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo