× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS OS 6.9.3 | Run on existing x86 (4.2) #notsupported

chirpa
Luminary

Re: ReadyNAS OS 6.0.5 | Run on existing x86 (4.2) #notsuppor

If you login with your remote/readycloud login it may work. Backup button method won't.
Message 26 of 135
chirpa
Luminary

New 6.0.5 posted that is verified to work.
Message 27 of 135
nkd
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yea set up cloud through ip, everything is up and working, tested cloud on my S4 through 4g and I was able to access it. Set up plex server as well. So far so good, any update son genie market place? Would be nice if someone could get it to work. Although I can live with this, appreciate the help, thanks alot. I guess I just became a beta tester for a bit, lol.
Message 28 of 135
chirpa
Luminary

Genie not yet.

Even people that bought actual R6 systems are beta testers 😞
Message 29 of 135
F_L_
Tutor

Chirpa: would you mind update your second post with the release notes for 6.0.5?

It´s great to have everything in one place.
Message 30 of 135
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

NetGear hasn't posted the Release Notes for 6.0.5 yet. Until they do that there's no way that those Notes could be copied to this thread.
Message 31 of 135
chirpa
Luminary

I will add them there once NTGR publishes them. Seems like a pre-mature firmware release. No GPL is available yet either.
Message 32 of 135
F_L_
Tutor

chirpa wrote:
I will add them there once NTGR publishes them. Seems like a pre-mature firmware release. No GPL is available yet either.

Ah I see, thanks for the info!
Message 33 of 135
pywong
Aspirant

Any ideas when Netgear will add better support out of the box for fan control and backup button without actually having to support OS6 on old hardware.
Message 34 of 135
chirpa
Luminary

There is no reason they would want to. They want you to buy the new systems to get OS6.
Message 35 of 135
interested
Tutor

There is no reason they would want to. They want you to buy the new systems to get OS6.

Sad, but true.

Unfortunately, there is no reason why not to buy a new product from another manufacturer, which will provide better support and upgrades.
Message 36 of 135
pywong
Aspirant

I think I'll be going back to 4.2.* for now, there still needs to be some bugs worked on for OS6.
My next NAS will not be a netgear unit, I'll maybe get a QNAP or a custom NAS.
Message 37 of 135
chirpa
Luminary

The beta site said 6.0.6 is coming very soon. Guess there was more missed issues in 6.0.5 that the 'public customer QA test base' found for them.

On the 4.2 platform, 4.2.23 is due soon too, but mainly has the few fixes already available in the public beta.
Message 38 of 135
ihartley
Tutor

This is a NAS for goodness sake! That you put your data on, TRUST your data with.

The world has gone mad to think that all these problems are acceptable, that "factory reset and lose all your data" is helpful support. No wonder they still have to feed Hollerith cards into the computers at the ISS. 🙂 Now I have to go away and calm down and figure out how many "bits" are in a bag of rice. I might store my data there.

-----------------------

Update: Arse. I've just eaten 3 photos of the kids 🙂
Message 39 of 135
chirpa
Luminary

Re: ReadyNAS OS 6.0.6 | Run on existing x86 (4.2) #notsuppor

Updated initial conversion image to 6.0.6 for first timers. Existing users can just use 'Check for Update' in the 6.0 GUI.
Message 40 of 135
chirpa
Luminary

6.0.6 release notes were posted; http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23504
Message 41 of 135
chirpa
Luminary

For my own amusement...
# strings /usr/sbin/readyNASVault* | grep Drobo
/mnt/DroboFS/Shares/DroboApps
/mnt/DroboFS/System/samba/conf/smb.conf
/mnt/DroboFS/Shares/DroboApps/elephantdrive/
Message 42 of 135
networkn
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS OS 6.0.8 | Run on existing x86 (4.2) #notsuppor

Updated and did the factory reset (Man it takes a long time to backup 6TB of data!)

The default username and password of admin/netgear1 doesn't work. Any ideas?
- Found it - Admin - Password
Message 43 of 135
chirpa
Luminary

Its admin/password now.
Message 44 of 135
networkn
Aspirant

Thanks. I have Upgraded but have the following two problems.

One the fans running like crazy, and I see something about a console edit, but I don't understand what is required to make that work. Is there more specific details around getting that working please?

Also I enabled ReadyDrop setup an account and loaded the android app. I dragged some files to the readydrop share that got created, but I can't see it on my device. Any ideas? Is there a tutorial around readydrop on os6 that might help or some troubleshooting guide that might be useful?
Message 45 of 135
glem
Aspirant

Look at this thread to fix fan issue http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=71155
Message 46 of 135
nlaredo
Aspirant

For anyone who has done this, do automatic updates work for future 6.0.x releases? For example, if you did this for <6.0.8, was the upgrade to 6.0.8 done completely by the ultra6 itself through the usual automatic path where it downloads the update itself and applies it?
Message 47 of 135
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Once you have installed ReadyNAS OS 6 on the NAS you can do updates in the usual way.
Message 48 of 135
networkn
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS OS 6.1.1 | Run on existing x86 (4.2) #notsuppor

What's new in 6.1.1?
Message 49 of 135
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS OS 6.1.1 | Run on existing x86 (4.2) #notsuppor

Take a look at http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72574 (there is a link to the Release Notes there).

It also appears 6.1.1 now shows the correct temps for some of the legacy models.
Message 50 of 135
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements