× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS OS 6.9.3 | Run on existing x86 (4.2) #notsupported

networkn
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS OS 6.1.1 | Run on existing x86 (4.2) #notsuppor

That's good. Man they sure made the shutdown hard to find. Anyone know how I can make the on/off button on the front of the unit, shut the Pro6 down?
Message 51 of 135
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

So when you press the power button for a few seconds or so you don't get prompted to press the power button again to turn the unit off?
Message 52 of 135
networkn
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
So when you press the power button for a few seconds or so you don't get prompted to press the power button again to turn the unit off?

Nope, if I hold it down long enough it hard shuts off, which isn't desireable. The screen flickers when I short press it.
Message 53 of 135
bodiedoo
Aspirant

Thanks Chirpa,

Worked like a charm on Ultra 4,

No fan fixes needed.

I feel like the mods of this forum could run netgear better then the current entire staff of netgear =D

You guys should make a kickstarter for nas systems, I think everyone here would support it.
Message 54 of 135
JMehring
Apprentice

Re: ReadyNAS OS 6.1.2 | Run on existing x86 (4.2) #notsuppor

If you were to install OS 6 on an Ultra 6 Plus, would you be able to then use 4TB disks instead of the maximum 3TB that I can use on 4.2?
Message 55 of 135
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You can use 4TB disks with RAIDiator 4.2.x as many users have found. You do not need to update to an OS that NetGear will not support running on your device. However if you use disks outside the compatibility list you will be denied support if you have issues.

Updating to 6.1.x does have the advantage though that you no longer face two expansion limitations from 4.2.x:
1. Cannot expand past 16TB (only an issue if using single-redundancy and want 6x4TB disks installed). You need to backup the data and do a factory default with the disks in place on 4.2.x if you want a volume with higher capacity than 16TB.
2. Cannot expand past 8TB over the life of the volume. So if the volume capacity was 2.7TB when you last did a factory reset you cannot expand past 10.7TB. Again a factory default will overcome this.

Though when you consider that you need to backup your data and do a factory default as part of the update process to go to 4.2.x the above expansion limitations of 4.2.x are not such a big reason to move away from 4.2.x.

If you need some of the features of the new OS then you would have a good reason to update to it.
Message 56 of 135
JMehring
Apprentice

Thanks for the quick reply.

The only reason I am considering moving to OS 6 is for volume encryption. I have already tried encfs on 4.2.x but it is way too slow. Truecrypt is really fast but I am not sure if I would be able to encrypt the whole volume. I currently use a TC container, but I did worry it would be difficult to grow if I ever upgraded my disks.

Another benefit, if it actually works with OS 6 is volume expansion with encrypted volumes

EDIT. I don't mind doing a factory install once and start fresh since I am in process of backing everything up to a 314
Message 57 of 135
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well you could give it a try. If you don't like it I can give you instructions to downgrade back to 4.2.x

Do be aware also that a downside of encryption is that it can make data recovery more difficult so if you store important data on encrypted volumes you should especially make sure you backup that data e.g. to an encrypted volume on another ReadyNAS.
Message 58 of 135
Orionos
Aspirant

I've been thinking about installing a custom OS on my Ultra 6 for a while now (the 4.2 OS is getting outdated and I like encryption). While trying to figure out how to avoid the system from overwriting my disks during boot without breaking my options of a rollback, I came across this post, and it's definitely something I want to try.

Question though: Since this most likely messes with the internal USB/default image, is there a recommended way to backup a clean 4.2 image, so that I could return to the stock image? Or will I be stuck on 6.x?

Hypothetically, if I remove all my disks, insert a single empty disk (or no disk at all), and let the Ultra reset to factory default, could I make a backup of that state, that will allow me to return to it (possibly to the point where Netgear would actually support it again).
Knowing that I have that option would help me experiment more freely.

I have a VGA cable on the system, so I am able to get into the system at boot.
Message 59 of 135
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Orionos when the firmware is updated it is updated on the internal flash as well as on the disks. I have sent you a PM with a link to an image you can install to downgrade.

If you need to downgrade and have trouble doing so, ask for help on the forum and it can be provided.
Message 60 of 135
Orionos
Aspirant

Well, I finally got around to it. It stated 'ERR: Could not properly extract' during the first of 3 reboots it did. Interesting how the LCD display remained active between reboots. I'll just push the official 6.1.2 on it now, just to be sure.

It now states 'Fan Dead' so I'll have to use the workaround.

I like how it now actually presents a logon prompt on the screen for interactive logon. 4.2 didn't.
Message 61 of 135
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Could not properly extract root image does suggest there may have been a problem installing the firmware (possibly a bad sector on your internal flash), so yes installing 6.1.2 over the top of itself is a good move.
Message 62 of 135
Orionos
Aspirant

Works fine either way. No errors during reinstall. What would be the best way to scan for bad sectors? Just reboot with a recovery USB?

It would appear that the scripts are pointing to the wrong device for the fan. Would it not be possible to edit them to the right reference and the fan control would work without needing to install extra packages?

I found the RAID scrubbing (not the fsck). Is it no longer possible to schedule it, or am I overlooking it?

EDIT: The console fix for the fans doesn't work for me, I'll install fancontrol.

EDIT2: So far, it's definitely better than 4.2. Apart from the dead fan errors filling the log, it's stable too. I wish it were possible to enter in size of a new F-RAID volume though. And perhaps xts instead of cbc encryption. I would test out some of the RNXTRAS packages, but they've risen considerably in price since I last purchased them, so I won't buy them just for testing. Although the marketplace doesn't work, it is possible to install custom packages, right?
Message 63 of 135
glem
Aspirant

May be you can try to add a sensors.d configuration to see alive your dead fan
Look at this thread http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=71155&start=60#p405894
Message 64 of 135
viperhansa
Virtuoso

Re: ReadyNAS OS 6.1.4 | Run on existing x86 (4.2) #notsuppor

Hi guys.
I have a upgraded business that i wonder if its possible for me to upgrade to os 6.
Specs as follows:

regards
/ Hans
Message 65 of 135
vaprasad
Aspirant

Running MP3FS on 6.1.4?

How does FLAC to MP3 transcoding via MP3FS perform on 6.1.4? I used to use the directions from http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=33389#p248017 on my Pro 6 box running RAIDiator 4.2.24 -- do they still work or do they need to be revised?
Message 66 of 135
4wardlight
Aspirant

Does anyone know if this update can be performed on the ReadyNAS Duo (RND2000-100NAS)? I have no idea how to check if it's x86 or x64. I know it's running 4.1.x firmware.
Message 67 of 135
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

No. The Duo (v1) is Sparc. However 4.1.13 was recently released for your Duo and you can update to that.
Message 68 of 135
superceu
Aspirant

I have a RNDU2000 with ReadyNAS OS 6.1.4. Can I upgrade to 6.1.5? by clicking on the "update" button?
Message 69 of 135
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes, once you have installed ReadyNAS OS you can then do further updates as you would on one of the new models e.g. 312. The R4ToR6 image is only needed for updating from 4.2.x to 6.0.x.
Message 70 of 135
Scouser
Aspirant

This is a great thread.

I am about to take the plunge to OS6 on my Pro6. But the link to R4toR6_Prep_Addon.bin does not work.

Is this now not required?

TIA
Message 71 of 135
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Still required if you don't want to have to initiate the factory default manually using the boot menu. I updated the link to point to a copy of the add-on on readynas.com so the link should work now.
Message 72 of 135
Scouser
Aspirant

Got it. Many thanks.

Couple of questions:
1) The binary I have is ReadyNASOS-6.1.5-x86_64.bin. Is it OK to use that for the install or should I use an old one and upgrade to this package (after the PREP and R4toR6 addons)
2)I will of course be doing a backup first, but are there any specific directories I should backup apart from /c. I have a couple of init.d scripts I will also backup but what about stuff in /etc. For example /etc/apt/* and so on. I am certain my data will be backed up OK but worried about other configurations I have for things like php5, serviio (which I installed/configured myslf way before there was an addon available), and so on.
3) Has the fan issue been fixed in 6.1.5 or does a hack via SSH still need doing.

I am excited about upgrading to OS6 but my Pro6 has been up now for just over a year without a single problem so I am a tad worried about taking the plunge and messing with it. But I need ownCloud and some other things that are supported on Debian4 builds.

Anyway. Thanks for the great work you guys have done.
Message 73 of 135
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

1. You need to use the modified image or modify the ReadyNASOS-6.1.5-x86_64.bin yourself. The modified image appears to 4.2.x to be a 4.2.x firmware image so it accepts it. If you change the R4toR6 link to say 6.1.5 not 6.1.4 you can download one to go straight to 6.1.5. I didn't update the links to point to that though due to the issues some have had on 6.1.5.

Once you are running ReadyNAS OS you need to use the standard firmware image for future updates.

2. The new OS is very different so be careful what you restore. Best to make as many changes as possible manually. It's possible you might need to use systemd to start custom services. The apps sdk should give some clues as to how this works: http://apps.readynas.com/pages/?page_id=68

3. The SSH hack would still be needed I think for the 6-bay Pro. Or if you have a VGA header cable you could modify the BIOS setting to get the BIOS to control the fan speed.

If you're not happy with the new OS I can help you downgrade back to 4.2.x
Message 74 of 135
Scouser
Aspirant

Many thanks again mdgm. I am back home in a week and will do the upgrade then.
Cheers
Message 75 of 135
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements