× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS OS 6.9.3 | Run on existing x86 (4.2) #notsupported

LogicX
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS OS 6.1.6 | Run on existing x86 (4.2) #notsuppor

When will the 6.1.6 source be posted here: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2649/~/gpl-open-source-code-for-programmers ?

I'd like to try compiling a kernel module, and am running 6.1.6 final; which came out a few days ago.
Message 76 of 135
chirpa
Luminary

Send a PM to Skywalker, and he can post it here: http://www.readynas.com/download/GPL/in ... readynasos

The kb.netgear.com site is always lagged behind.
Message 77 of 135
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The 6.1.6 GPL has been posted in the location chirpa mentioned.
Message 78 of 135
LogicX
Aspirant

Just noticed the 6.1.6 source file includes the wrong linux kernel version (3.0.93 instead of 3.0.101)

mdgm wrote:
The 6.1.6 GPL has been posted in the location chirpa mentioned.
Message 79 of 135
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes, I noticed that too and reported it to NetGear. Hopefully they will fix it.
Message 80 of 135
oshae
Tutor

Re: ReadyNAS OS 6.0.5 | Run on existing x86 (4.2) #notsuppor

pywong wrote:
I think I'll be going back to 4.2.* for now, there still needs to be some bugs worked on for OS6.
My next NAS will not be a netgear unit, I'll maybe get a QNAP or a custom NAS.

My thoughts exactly. They are not supporting these perfectly capable "last gen" units with OS 6 or features like ReadyDROP. That feature I would especially like and it could be easily implemented but no. They want us to buy a new unit.

If I'm going to buy a new unit I will likely be going the Synology route. Better support and they don't pull crap like this. Unless the hardware truly is not capable of supporting it. They and QNAP also had the 16TB limit issue sorted out long ago and they're quicker on testing new drives. NTGR get a clue.
Message 81 of 135
Sandshark
Sensei

Thanks for starting the new thread, the old one was getting long and hard to follow. I'm looking at taking the plunge with OS6. I just acquired another Pro to replace my Ultra4 and then let the Ultra be relegated to backup duty and replace my last sad NV+. Before I do all that, I want to experiment with OS6 and see if I want to move there. I may start with the VM so as not to have too much to undo if I really mess things up.

I have seen that the latest version of the OS has the right temperatures and fan controls for "some legacy units". Is there a list? I am specifically interested in the Ultra4 and older Pro Business Edition (not newer Pro 6, if it matters).

I have seen some things that need to be done via shell. I can get the VGA connector for the pro, but not the Ultra. Is root SSH enabled by default in OS6, or is there something I need to do to add that?

I am far from a Linux guru. I've used real Unix and even Multics, but the Readynases are the only Linux boxes I've owned. With copious Googling, I've figured some things out, but it would be nice to have a comprehensive list of useful utilities and the appropriate app-get and other commands to install them since the add-on concept is dead and the marketplace is off limits to us. Starting with the available add-ons for the X86 models would be great.

And a special thanks to the pioneers who blazed the trail. Your work and the fixes in the OS itself finally look stable and ready for me to get my feet wet.
Message 82 of 135
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sandshark wrote:

I have seen that the latest version of the OS has the right temperatures and fan controls for "some legacy units". Is there a list? I am specifically interested in the Ultra4 and older Pro Business Edition (not newer Pro 6, if it matters).

It is just for the 2-bay and 4-bay desktop units, so the Ultra/Ultra Plus/Pro 2/4 would be the units on the list.
Sandshark wrote:

Is root SSH enabled by default in OS6, or is there something I need to do to add that?

It is disabled by default. There is an option in the GUI to enable it.
Sandshark wrote:

I am far from a Linux guru. I've used real Unix and even Multics, but the Readynases are the only Linux boxes I've owned. With copious Googling, I've figured some things out, but it would be nice to have a comprehensive list of useful utilities and the appropriate app-get and other commands to install them since the add-on concept is dead and the marketplace is off limits to us. Starting with the available add-ons for the X86 models would be great.

There is a list of available apps in the Dashboard. You can get some add-ons at rnxtras.com and there are add-ons in super-poussin's Dropbox: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=153&t=70914

A comprehensive list of useful utilities would be very long.
Message 83 of 135
tony359
Apprentice

Ok. After a little experimenting I managed to install OS6 on my Pro6, downgraded back to 4.2.26 and back to OS6. I have tweaked the fans and they work fine.

My only problem is: if I transfer content, the unit disappears after a while, and windows come up with an error. Transfers are also very temperamental: NAStester shows maybe a good average but out o 5 transfers it may be that 2 are 110MB/s and 2 are 60MB/s. Back to 4.2.26 and tested with the same disk I have much more stable transfers - and the connection is stable.

Anything I may be missing?

Thanks
Message 84 of 135
michaelvec
Tutor

same here.
When from 4.2.26 to 6.1.6 per R4toR6 image.
Transfers from my computer back to the NAS has 100 to 40 MB/s and often stops.
Fan are not loud but NAS website doesnt indicate fan rpms correctly (5355). temp ok but temp graph doesnt seems to work.
Enabled SSH but ssh session terminates after successful login with putty.

login as: admin
admin@nas01's password:

Welcome to ReadyNASOS 6.1.6

Anybody who got some of these issues resolved?
Message 85 of 135
tony359
Apprentice

My SSH works, I managed to tweak the fans. My fans and temperature do not show correctly either, but I understand it will be fixed with a future release (funny: it's not going to be fixed, it will happen to be fixed!). Oh, try logging in with root!
The loud fan is the system fan, with the modification they both get very quiet.

The transfer problem is a big one though. While I'm writing it has stopped again. I can still ping the box and it looks like Frontview is not working - it's there, but not updating.
Message 86 of 135
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Try 6.1.7 RC5.
Message 87 of 135
michaelvec
Tutor

Hi Tony,

thanks for the quick reply. Yes, using root does the trick. Thanks!
All: Please keep in mind to use user root instead of admin when using ssh.

Hi mdgm,
not sure if I can simply upload this to the Pro 6 but will look into it.

Thanks so much
Message 88 of 135
tony359
Apprentice

Yes you can. After you are on 6.x you can upgrade to another 6.x. I've just done it and so far so good. It's transferring ok, even though I'm not convinced by the speed.
The fan speed is finally ok, but I've lost the CPU speed. Temps are still off.
Message 89 of 135
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

6.1.7 has been released: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=76000

I would recommend updating to that if you are running an older version of ReadyNAS OS 6.
Message 90 of 135
sgirard
Aspirant

michaelvec wrote:
same here.
When from 4.2.26 to 6.1.6 per R4toR6 image.
Transfers from my computer back to the NAS has 100 to 40 MB/s and often stops.
Fan are not loud but NAS website doesnt indicate fan rpms correctly (5355). temp ok but temp graph doesnt seems to work.
Enabled SSH but ssh session terminates after successful login with putty.

login as: admin
admin@nas01's password:

Welcome to ReadyNASOS 6.1.6

Anybody who got some of these issues resolved?

Hi there Micheal, I am getting this same behavior too. Thought I would upgrade to 6.1.7 tonight because I read somewhere it may reduce this problem. Unfortunately, I cannot access my Web interface to do the upgrade VIA web interface. 😞 Meanwhile, I am able I can access my shares and connect via SSH.

Does anyone have any suggestions that I can try. I have already tried rebooting the unit a number of times.

Cheers
Shawn
Message 91 of 135
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS OS 6.1.7 | Run on existing x86 (4.2) #notsuppor

You SSH in as root not as admin. The root password is initially set to be the same as the admin password at the time you enabled SSH. Thought the root account is a separate account and the password can subsequently be changed to be different.

You can update via SSH. Also note that once you are running ReadyNAS OS you update as you would on a system that shipped with OS6 pre-installed.

# cd /var/readynasd
# wget ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-300/ReadyNASOS-6.1.7-x86_64.zip
# unzip R*.zip
# rm *.html *.zip
# echo /var/readynasd/ReadyNASOS-6.1.7-x86_64.img > /etc/.flash_update
# rn_shutdown -r
Message 92 of 135
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I would suggest that if you can't access the Dashboard you should check the fullness of the 4GB OS partition before attempting to update via SSH.

You could do e.g.

# df -h
Message 93 of 135
sgirard
Aspirant

Thanks for the information mdgm. I was able to eventually access the dashboard through a different browser. Found an earlier thread which mentioned R6 has some issues with Chrome.:'(
Message 94 of 135
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Try 6.1.8 RC1 which fixes compatibility with Chrome 34 or update to Chrome 35 beta which doesn't have the bug that a Chrome 34 has.
Message 95 of 135
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS OS 6.1.8 | Run on existing x86 (4.2) #notsuppor

Updated for 6.1.8
Message 96 of 135
Ney
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I have an Ultra 6 with 3 1tb drives that are nearing their expected runtime. So my plan is to upgrade them to 4tb drives and at the same time upgrade to OS6.

Now I would like to do this operation with as little hassle as possible. If I replace the 3 drives and reboot the nas I assume it will factory reset, and do the full partionion build etc, then i have to install os6 and then wait for the partion build one more time.

Is there a way that i can opgrade and change the drives in one operation? My idea was to upload the OS6 image, shut down the nas, change the drives and then factory reset it in the hopes that it would then boot OS6 with the new drives in. But is this possible?
What would you do?
Message 97 of 135
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Ney when you upload the image it is verified and if the image is good then you are prompted to reboot. When you reboot the NAS it updates the firmware. Part of this process it to update the firmware on the internal flash. The firmware on the internal flash is what is used when you do a factory reset. So doing what you proposed the firmware would not be updated on the flash and when you put the 4TB disks in it would put 4.2.x on them.

Here is what you could do:

1. Backup all data, settings, everything
2. Power down and remove your disks (label order).
3. Put one 4TB disk in the NAS. A factory reset will be done (you can monitor the NAS in RAIDar, click setup when prompted and choose the RAID mode to avoid waiting for the 10 minute countdown to complete). With just one disk in this should be pretty quick.
4. Install the Prep Add-on
5. Update to OS6
6. Verify the NAS updated successfully.
7. Put the additional disks in
8. Do another factory default.
Message 98 of 135
Ney
Aspirant
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Hi Ney when you upload the image it is verified and if the image is good then you are prompted to reboot. When you reboot the NAS it updates the firmware. Part of this process it to update the firmware on the internal flash. The firmware on the internal flash is what is used when you do a factory reset. So doing what you proposed the firmware would not be updated on the flash and when you put the 4TB disks in it would put 4.2.x on them.

Here is what you could do:

1. Backup all data, settings, everything
2. Power down and remove your disks (label order).
3. Put one 4TB disk in the NAS. A factory reset will be done (you can monitor the NAS in RAIDar, click setup when prompted and choose the RAID mode to avoid waiting for the 10 minute countdown to complete). With just one disk in this should be pretty quick.
4. Install the Prep Add-on
5. Update to OS6
6. Verify the NAS updated successfully.
7. Put the additional disks in
8. Do another factory default.

Thank you for the fast reply. This seems pretty straightforward. And I can remove the old disk from the trays and put the new ones in while waiting for OS 4->6 procedure.

And just to be clear, how do I do a factory default when I put in the new disks? I know it's something you need to press on the front :oops:
Message 99 of 135
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 100 of 135
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements