× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS PRO Disks Won't Stay Spun Down (Asleep)

JosephAE
Aspirant

ReadyNAS PRO Disks Won't Stay Spun Down (Asleep)

My ReadyNAS Pro will spin the disks down just fine after the predetermined inactivity time.  My problem is that the disks don't stay spun down.  The logs tell me that the disks spin up every 3 to 12 hours.  I don’t have Snapshot on.  One thing that is happening and I don’t know why.  Some times when I open a Windows 10 Explorer window on my laptop the disks immediate spin up.  This may be happening with other computer on my home network.  Thanks.

Model: RNDP6350|ReadyNAS Pro 6 1.5TB (3 x 500GB Enterprise)
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

The operating system is on the disks, so lots of events can cause them to spin up.  

Message 2 of 4
JosephAE
Aspirant

Is there someone on the forum that has actual knowledge of the operating system that could answer what causes the disks to spin up after sleeping?  What type of messages to the network address of your NAS will cause it to wake up?  Is it something Windows 10 is doing that wakes the NAS?  Things like running RAIDar doesn’t wake the NAS up.  Not until you attempt to log into the NAS with RAIDar does it wake up.

There has to be other cases where individual are only using their NAS occasional and don’t what the disks destroyed because they’re being constantly powered up by spurious messages from other devices on their local network.  Short of shutting off the NAS is there a way to save your disks from this abuse?

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

The operating system is on the disks - and that includes the apache web server that you are using with the admin web ui. So logging in to that UI certainly requires disk activity on the NAS.  As does accessing the files with file explorer, or using DLNA.  The NAS is authenticating the connection, and usually showing you the contents of a share or folder.

Periodically the system will connect to the internet to re-sync the time.  That can wake up the disks.  If you are using DHCP the NAS will occasionally need to renew the lease on the IP address.  Anything the system logs is written to the disks, though perhaps not right away.

Then there are any installed apps, which will generate their own activity. 

You won't get an exhaustive list here.  But spinning the disks up/down ~8 times a day (every 3 hours) isn't going to abuse or damage your disks in any way.  If you disagree, the simplest option is to turn spindown off.  

You could also download the log zip file, and look for log entries around the spinup time.  That might give you a clue on what caused a particular spinup event. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements