× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS RN422 and RN424 with PLEX app installe... cannot sign-in to Plex app, first time using Plex

WIZZYWIZ
Aspirant

ReadyNAS RN422 and RN424 with PLEX app installe... cannot sign-in to Plex app, first time using Plex

I have an RN422 (2 drive bays) and an RN424 (4 drive bays). These are about 2 years old. They have been running fine as network servers for movies, music, and TV programs. They are connected by Ethernet to the same router my cable modem is connected to and I can access the two ReadyNAS devices from any computer or mobile device in the house. I wanted to see if I could upgrade the DLNA media player's dull user interface to something nicer than what DLNA provides. PLEX has a fairly good rep, so I installed that app on both ReadyNAS units by logging-in to each one's Admin page, then going to the App page and selecting PLEX to install. After PLEX is installed and appears as the only installed App in both ReadyNAS devices, the next step is signing-in to PLEX. When I double-click the PLEX icon on the main Admin page, a new page opens with log-in options: Continue with Google; Continue with Facebook; Continue with Apple; Continue with Email. I don't have an Apple account so that option is "out". I do have a Facebook account, but clicking that button doesn't do anything... everything just sits there like nothing is happening. The button seems to change slightly when I click it (drop shadow comes and goes maybe?) but nothing ever happens. So Facebook login is completely brain-dead. When I try the other 2 options, Google account, or Email account info, I get the same errors: either "Invalid username or password" or I get a spinning progress-thingy that never stops spinning with no notifications or warnings. Is there something else I need to enable in the ReadyNAS devices that will allow one of my login options to get me setup with PLEX working? Or some other setting or "switch" that needs to be changed to make this work?

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
rn_enthusiast
Virtuoso

Re: ReadyNAS RN422 and RN424 with PLEX app installe... cannot sign-in to Plex app, first time using

I would advise to not use the Plex app in the ReadyNAS app library. It is really outdated. Instead get the install file from the Plex website directly. Please see this KB here:

https://kb.netgear.com/25705/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Plex-Installation-Setup 

FWIW I use Plex on my RN422 and it runs very well but start by getting the latest version of Plex, using the above link.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
rn_enthusiast
Virtuoso

Re: ReadyNAS RN422 and RN424 with PLEX app installe... cannot sign-in to Plex app, first time using

I would advise to not use the Plex app in the ReadyNAS app library. It is really outdated. Instead get the install file from the Plex website directly. Please see this KB here:

FWIW I use Plex on my RN422 and it runs very well but start by getting the latest version of Plex, using the above link.

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@rn_enthusiast wrote:

@JohnCM_S / @Marc_V :  Netgear should remove that app from the library, I agree that users really need to get it from plex directly.  Is that something you can arrange?

@WIZZYWIZ  wrote:

When I try the other 2 options, Google account, or Email account info, I get the same errors: either "Invalid username or password"

Did you set up a plex account at plex.tv? Make sure you have that first (and know the password). Then use the email login method (at least to start with).

There is a process for "claiming" a plex server, and associating it with your plex account.  Normally that works well, but there are sometimes glitches.  I suggest following up in the plex forum.

Message 3 of 4
WIZZYWIZ
Aspirant

Thanks for the comments about Plex. After reading through how Plex does it's thing online rather than from within my own home network, I can't deal with the security risks involved with those ReadyNAS devices to be "live and online" through the Plex app which may or may not be harder to get into than Ft. Knox. If everything Plex does was happening locally instead of out in the wild space of "the internet" I'd be OK with it. I don't even like the idea of having a Plex account those devices are linked to either. Presumably, Plex isn't any LESS susceptible to hacking than any other business. I'm just paranoid enough to feel like any connection of the ReadyNAS devices to the world outside of my house is too risky. Will probably just keep using simple text file lists for the time being. Media Center was a candidate for this, but it forces me to do too much THEIR way and not enough MY way.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements