× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS and Roon

RoSko
Aspirant

ReadyNAS and Roon

Does anyone know if Roon will run on a ReadyNAS Pro?  If so, how?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi RoSko,

Welcome to the community.

Are you referring to the Roon server?

Roon Server on NAS

Looking at its requirements, I do not think the ReadyNAS PRO can handle it.

They would require about 4GB or RAM and an SSD HDD for it.

Also, you can probably ask some people from Roon forums (if they have one).

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi RoSko,

Welcome to the community.

Are you referring to the Roon server?

Roon Server on NAS

Looking at its requirements, I do not think the ReadyNAS PRO can handle it.

They would require about 4GB or RAM and an SSD HDD for it.

Also, you can probably ask some people from Roon forums (if they have one).

Regards,

Message 2 of 8
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi RoSko,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. 

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 3 of 8

Interresting topic I am less stupid now 🙂 !

Message 4 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Which Pro?  Pro 6/BE/Pioneer CPU can be upgraded, but it has no USB3 for the SSD.  I suppose you could put an SSD internal, though the trays lack the proper mounting holes and they are only SATA II.  OS 6.x would be a must.  Pro 2 and 4 undoubtedly lack the CPU horsepower and cannot be upgraded.

Better, I think, to run the server on a micro-PC and have it serve up music from the NAS.

Message 5 of 8
RoSko
Aspirant

Thanks, I have a Pro 6 and I had no idea that it was upgradeable, either with its CPU or to OS6.  I don't think i want to mess with the CPU upgrade, but the OS upgrade is intriguing.  I have it on dual redundancy and have not backed it up.  (I know, I know, it isn't a backup plan!)  Since the upgrade requires a wipe and I would need to backup the ReadyNas, presumably I would do it to a USB drive, right?  Or is there some other way?  If not, do you have a large capacity USB drive that you recommend?

Thanks!

Message 6 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

While the motherboard for the older ProBE/Pioneer is identical to the Pro 6, the Pro6 has a much more capable CPU (Pentium Dual E5300  @ 2.60GHz) vs. that in the older ones (Pentium Dual E2160  @ 1.80GHz).  Unless you are willing to go with a Quad-core, which will generate more heat than the stock cooler is designed to handle, you can't get a huge bump in throughput above that.  More RAM would help more.

Yes, you need to back up your data before the upgrade, which you should already be doing.  I have other NASes for my backup, but most probably use USB.  A USB written to in OS4.2.x is compatible with 6.x.  Of course, if your current backup is cloud based, restoring the NAS after the upgrade would take quite a while, but it should work.

OS6.6.x is based on a current Debian distro, so add-ons are more up to date and available than on the older 4.2.x, especially if you are willing to use SSH to install standard Debian packages.

Message 7 of 8
bedlam1
Prodigy

If you upgrade to OS 6 check/update your NAS bios first using OS 4

You can do this by down loading this http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/x86/4.2/BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin and uploding to your NAS as an Addon.

I suggest a read of this thread too https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Ultra-6-OS-Upgrade-from-4-2-30-to-OS-6/td-p/118... it is for an Ultra but applies equally to the Pro range

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements