× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas 104 - USB Backup Question

cctsupport
Aspirant

ReadyNas 104 - USB Backup Question

Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me if the built in backup to USB can create multiple sets of files when backing up or does it just do a copy and paste? Does anyone know of any apps that could backup to USB?

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 3
cctsupport
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNas 104 - Boot from USB Failed!

THE TITLE FOR THIS POST IS WRONG. IT HAS CHANGED ACCIDENTALLY.

Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas 104 - USB Backup Question

I took the liberty of changing the title of the thread. Let me know if you prefer something different.

@cctsupport wrote:

Can anyone tell me if the built in backup to USB can create multiple sets of files when backing up or does it just do a copy and paste? Does anyone know of any apps that could backup to USB?

Most of the built in backup methods just copy files - they aren't versioned backups.

The exception is ReadyDR - which backs up snapshots. But that requires a business-class ReadyNAS (RN300 or above) - it won't run on the RN100 or RN200 series.  Plus you wouldn't be able to access the backup files directly from a Windows PC or Mac.

ReadyNAS Vault is another possibility - though it would do a versioned cloud backup - not a backup to USB.  Current home pricing is $10 per TB per month.  Details are here: https://www.readynasvault.com

Although in principle someone could create a backup app, I've never seen one posted here (or on apps.readynas.com or rnxtras.com).

It might be possible to set up a destination share on the USB drive that has snapshots.  Then if you used incremental backup, the snapshots would give you older versions.  The drive would need to be formatted as BTRFS - which again would mean that you could only access the files from a linux system.

Or just use rotating USB backup drives (2-4), which would give some retention.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements