× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readycloud Android app cant see shares

bals76
Tutor

Readycloud Android app cant see shares

I have a Ready NAS RN212 with 2 x 4TB drives.I have managed to set this up as admin and configure the shares I want to assign to 2 different users. The users can access these shares locally on desktop and laptop. I also wanted the 2 users to have access on mobile phones and so I installed installed the Readycloud mobile app on both their phones. 

The problem I have is that, when I login via the Readycloud web portal, I can access the relevant shares as both users without any problems. As local users, also no problems. But when I login via the mobile app, only one of the user accounts can see the reselvant shares that I have given them permission to access. The other user account can see the device when I login, but when I click on the device, I get the following message - "You have no shares on this device".

This is odd because, when I login to the webportal and as local user, using the same credentials, I can see the shares that I have given this user permission to access.

I have checked the permissions against the account that works and the one that doesnt and both are identical. 

Can someone please advise what I might have done wrong here and how I can rectify it please?

Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 10
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi bals76,

Welcome to the Community!

Have you tried deleting and then re-inviting that ReadyCLOUD user? If you have not done that yet, you may try that first and check if that user will be able to see the shares using the ReadyCLOUD app.

Regards,

Message 2 of 10
bals76
Tutor

Hi JohnCM_S.

I have tried the following after trying to find answers for similar problems online:

Reboot the NAS

Uninstall and reinstall the Readycloud Android App

Delete the shared "Share" and recreating it

Delete the relevant Cloud User and re-creating it

Ticking and unticking different permissions to see if it makes a difference - which it didnt.

When I use the admin account or the other Readycloud User credentials on this users mobile Phone, I can see and access the shares. But when I use this specific user's credentials, I can only see the device and when I click on the device, it says that the user has no shares.

As Admin, when I initially sent the user the invite, i got some message saying that the email address exceeded 31 characters, but it is still ok to use that email to login. Also, after I deleted the Cloud user account (and rebooted the NAS for good measure 🙂 ) and resent the invite (2nd, 3rd and 4th time) the cloud user clicked on the link in the email he received, but did not have to register again, his cloud account was already created from the first time. He also did not get the message asking to bind the account.

I will try deleting the account and creating it again, but hoping the above additional info will shed some light?

Thank you

Message 3 of 10
bals76
Tutor

Hi John_CM

Sorry, but I think I have only removed that cloud user. How do I delete a cloud user's account?

Thanks.

Message 4 of 10
bals76
Tutor

Ok, so I have now managed to delete this cloud account twice and tried re-creating it and sending a new invite. I know it was deleted because it ask me to register from scratch when I send the new account. But after going through the usual procedure... when I log into the portal, I can still see the shares as before. But when I login via the android App, it still says - You Have no shares on this device?

Message 5 of 10
bals76
Tutor

Hi JohnCM_S

After much trial and error, I have finally figured out the cause of my bain. It seems that while the readycloud web portal will accept a username (email address) that is longer than 31 characters, the Readycloud Android App does not like a username with more than 31 characters. 

I deleted my readycloud account by changing the email address (to a random silly email which had less than 31 characters). After a few attempts of deleting and recreating new accounts (and getting the same error), i decided to use the silly (but shorter) email address to login to the RC android app and I could now see and access the shared folder without any problems. But this does not help my case as our domain name (and hence email addresses) will generally be long and some will undoubtedly be longer than 31 characters.

Can you please suggest a fix or sensible workaround (other than giving users fake email addressess as usernames) so that they can access the android app via mobile phones please?

Thanks. 

Message 6 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

A VPN solution instead of ReadyCloud will let your users use their "local" account when remote, including on Android.  I personally like ZeroTier, but there are other options.  You'd have to separately inplement any file sync capability, if you use that.

Message 7 of 10
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi bals76,

I will try simulating this on our end and see if I will encounter the same issue. I will report this to the appropriate team if I encounter the same issue.

Regards,

Message 8 of 10
Demiurg
Aspirant

Same problem here

Message 9 of 10
bals76
Tutor

I dont think there is a fix for this. sadly, the only current answer is to use an email address that is shorter than 31 characters.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements