× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas 424 replace drive

spwb
Aspirant

Readynas 424 replace drive

Hello forum,

I have a ReadyNas 424 that began showing the 'data degraded' message on the front panel upon booting up.  I took this to mean that one of the drives had failed.  Also, there is a red-flashing LED on of the drives.  The other two still show blue.

The set up is 3x4TB Seagate HDDs

I've ordered and received 1x new Seagate Ironwolf 4TB drive and have not installed it yet.

My question is when should I install the new drive, given that when I start up the NAS currently, it goes into 'Recover data 0.00...%' mode and this process seems to be very slow.

Should I stop the recover data mode (how?) and swap out the degraded drive? Or wait for it to finish (seems like it could take days), and then swap the drives?

Also, I cannot log into the NAS admin page via browser either.  I did the other day, but today I get a message that the ReadyNas admin page is offline or busy (see screenshot attached).

What are the implications for potential data loss here?  

Thank you for any input, I've never dealt with a failed HDD on this NAS before, suppose it was inevitable that it would happen.  

Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: Readynas 424 replace drive

I suggest rebooting the NAS in read-only mode.  See pages 97-98 here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf  I believe that will stop the system from trying to recover.

Then get the full log zip file, and double-check the health of all drives.  I recommend making a backup of your data if you don't have a current backup.  If another drive fails, then you will lose all the data - so it is at risk.

Personally I always test my drives before inserting them into the NAS, using vendor tools in a PC (Seatools in this case).  I first run the full generic (non-destructive) test, and follow that up with the full erase test. 

In any event, once once you've confirmed the failed drive, then remove it, and reboot in the normal mode.  Then hot-insert the new drive. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements