× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas 51600

scravatt
Apprentice

Readynas 51600

The ReadyCloud IOS app is broken. It does not work on IOS 16.2 or higher. It logs in, shows my devices and just hangs.  I know it worked specifically on IOS 15.7.3. It broke somewhere around IOS 16.2 or make be right before.

Can you please fix this?

Message 1 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Readynas 51600

ReadyCloud is being taken out of service next month, so it is highly unlikely that anything will be done with the app at this point.

In what way are you using ReadyCloud (so alternatives can be suggested)?

Message 2 of 13
AnkitGH
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @scravatt 

Note : NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by April 1st, 2023. ReadyCLOUD mobile app, desktop application, and ReadyCLOUD web portal readycloud.netgear.com will all be terminated by April 4th,
2023. After that date, you can continue to access locally your
ReadyNAS, or access locally the USB drive connected to the routers, but
remote access won’t be available.

Have a lovely day, 
Ankit G
Netgear Team 

Message 3 of 13
scravatt
Apprentice

I just use it to access files on my NAS remotely. I use the IOS app to do that when I'm mobile. It works on IOS 16.2 but not on 16.3. Probably a simple fix to get it working. 

Message 4 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@scravatt wrote:

Probably a simple fix to get it working. 

But unlikely they will touch it, since they are dropping the service anyway.

@scravatt wrote:

I just use it to access files on my NAS remotely. 

Are you interested in alternative solutions?  There are a couple:

• using a router-hosted VPN (for instance OpenVPN, which is in the Nighthawk and Orbi routers)
  • using ZeroTier (which would be run on the RN516)
  • using port-forwarding for FTPS or SFTP
Message 5 of 13
scravatt
Apprentice

how to i setup for FTPS or SFTP?

Message 6 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@scravatt wrote:

how to i setup for FTPS or SFTP?

FTPS is a bit easier - you go into the FTP settings in services, and check "Enable Force FTPS"  That ensures that unencrypted FTP will be rejected. Set the Authentication Mode to "User".

On the client side, you configure the connection to use "explicit TLS", and use a local NAS user account and password.

Personally I recommend using non-standard ports (for instance, 54321 for the control port, and 54322-54326 for passive ports).  The number of passive ports depends on the number of simultaneous users accessing the NAS.  I find that 4 ports per user is a good number.  This port range (54321-54326 in this example) needs to be forwarded to the NAS in your router.

You will also want to run DDNS so you can use a name to reach the NAS instead of using an IP address.  Most routers include DDNS support.  NoIP.com is one provider that still has a free DDNS service.

One complication with FTPS is the "Masquerade Address". This can get in the way if you want to use FTPS both on your lopal network and remotely.  If you only use it remotely, then you can set the masquerade address to your DDNS name.

Some clients - notably FileZilla - don't require masquerading.  So you can use one of those clients, and set the Masquerade Address to disabled. That would allow both local and remote access with that client.  FileZilla is available for iOS, but I don't know what alternatives would work w/o masquerading with Android.

Message 7 of 13
klausn
Tutor

Hi,

Just I wonder why it stops?

I have seen this topic else on the Netgear platform but can't reply on it..... and it seems it doesn't work anymore for some month.

It was a real pleasure to use it.....such a sadness then we need to switchover to another vendor. 

Message 8 of 13
klausn
Tutor

Or build your own VPN connection.

Message 9 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@klausn wrote:

Or build your own VPN connection.

Several options, including ZeroTier, and OpenVPN (both posted in other threads here).

Message 10 of 13
klausn
Tutor

@StephenB txs for your advise

Message 11 of 13
npandit
Aspirant

Hello @scravatt 

Use FTP and FTPS
You can use FTP and FTPS to access any shares that are enabled for the FTP and FTPS
file-sharing protocols.
For better security, use an FTPS client to connect to your ReadyNAS using the FTP
file-sharing protocol. With FTPS, your password and data are encrypted.

If you are using FTPS, you must use explicit mode (also known as FTPES or AUTH TLS)
in your FTP client.
To access a share using FTP:
1. Ensure that the FTP file-sharing protocol is enabled on your ReadyNAS system.
2. Launch an FTP client or a terminal program.
3. Log in to your ReadyNAS system, as follows:
• If you required user FTP access when you enabled the FTP-file sharing protocol,
log in as a user, your access is limited by the settings configured by the ReadyNAS
system administrator.
• If you allowed anonymous access when you enabled the FTP-file sharing protocol,

Have a lovely day,
Nivedita Pa
Netgear Team

Message 12 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@npandit wrote:

Hello @scravatt 

Use FTP and FTPS

I don't recommend using FTP to access your NAS over the internet.  It is unencrypted, and the password is sent in the clear.

If you enable the FTP/FTPS server on the NAS, then make sure you check "Enable Force FTPS" in system->settings->services->FTP.  That will tell the NAS to reject unencrypted FTP connections, and only accept encrypted FTPS.

There are some other aspects to getting FTP to work through your firewall that @npandit left out.  The masquerading and port forwarding settings can be a bit tricky to get right.  If you go with FTPS, post back if you run into problems, and we can help.

Overall, although FTPS is considered secure, the two VPN solutions (ZeroTier and OpenVPN) are IMO preferrable.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements