× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Resilio Sync disappeared from the list of installed apps after 6.8.1 firmware update Oct 2017

Nickee
Tutor

Resilio Sync disappeared from the list of installed apps after 6.8.1 firmware update Oct 2017

Hello all,

I updated to the latest greatest firmware 6.8.1 and already had installed Resilio Sync (formerly BTSync) previously.

Now in the Web UI, I dont see it in either the list of installed or available apps anymore.

The application is running in the background and works fine with my phone connected to it even after a reboot, so the application itself didnt disappear, just its traces and the link to click and manage it from the UI are now gone.

Please - is this intentional or liable to be brought back?

Model: RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 26
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Resilio Sync disappeared from the list of installed apps after 6.8.1 firmware update Oct 2017

Hello Nickee,

There was an issue raised about the apps missing after upgrading the firmware 6.8.0 but that was address on the latest firmware version 6.8.1. Please try to reboot NAS and try to access the admin page from different browser and computer.

Welcome to the community!

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 26
Nickee
Tutor

Hi Marty,

Rebooted twice - tried 2 different computers and Chrome and Firefox with no blockers - the Resilio app is neither in installed NOR available in the marketplace, so it seems to be more than a browser issue.

Thanks

Message 3 of 26
Nickee
Tutor

Also this is a new issue INTRODUCED in 6.8.1 not in 6.8.0 - maybe the "fix" actually "broke" things?

Message 4 of 26
gn00347026
Guide

try apt-get update

Message 5 of 26
Nickee
Tutor

Tried apt update too - it only had a couple of apache updates - that didnt help either.

Message 6 of 26
Nickee
Tutor

Hi Marty,

Would this be something that someone could at least verify please?

It should take a few sconds to login to any unit you have and check if Resilio Sync is available to be installed in the new firmware.

I unfortunately do not have a spare unit to do this and would really appreciate 15 minutes of Netgear's time - sounds like a fair ask?

Thanks  

Message 7 of 26
gn00347026
Guide

1. see if you got  .featuredapps  under /apps

2. try apt-get install resilio-sync to see it can be install or not..

Message 8 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@Nickee wrote:

It should take a few sconds to login to any unit you have and check if Resilio Sync is available to be installed in the new firmware.\

I see it in featured apps, and also on the available apps page. That's running 6.8.1 firmware.

Message 9 of 26
Nickee
Tutor

Thanks StephenB - then I guess it is "my problem" even though I havent done anything funky with my setup.

Message 10 of 26
Nickee
Tutor

I will assume you havent installed Reslio at all thats why it is being shown for "available apps" BUT if it is installed it disappears - thats my guess.

Message 11 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@Nickee wrote:

I will assume you havent installed Reslio at all thats why it is being shown for "available apps" 

Correct.  My overall approach is to use an application server (which does run Resilio, as well as plex, crashplan, and other stuff).

But I just did install it, and it is showing up on the installed apps page.  Then I removed it, and it shifts back to available apps.

Plex is also installed on the NAS (but turned off).  No other apps are installed.

Message 12 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@Nickee wrote:

Thanks StephenB - then I guess it is "my problem" even though I havent done anything funky with my setup.

Not sure I'd go that far.  Clearly I can't reproduce it.  It might be related to another app on your system.

Message 13 of 26
Nickee
Tutor

Thanks a lot for all your help.

My system is very simple - default install - latest update and just one app - Resilio !

I wish I could nail it on anyting else - I cant even uninstall it because I dont have that option.

It is also running fine in the background - just doesnt show up in the UI.

Message 14 of 26
StephenB
Guru

You could try downloading the app from http://apt.readynas.com/packages/readynasos/dists/apps/pool/r/resilio-sync/resilio-sync_2.5.6_armel.... and then installing it manually (using the upload control on the apps page)/

Message 15 of 26
Nickee
Tutor

Thanks again Stephen,

My problem is that it is already installed and running.

I would love to uninstall it the "right way" through the UI and then reinstall it.

However, it isnt showing up in the UI to d anything.

Installing it again (on top of the UI based older install) using apt is bound to mess up things - right?

Message 16 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@Nickee wrote:

Installing it again (on top of the UI based older install) using apt is bound to mess up things - right?

I didn't suggest that, I suggested over-installing using the upload control on the web ui apps page.  The deb file is the readynas version (it comes from apps.readynas.com). 

I guess you could try uninstalling the old version first using apt.  It could also be useful to download the log zip file, and look in apt-history.log - checking for any partially installed packages.

Of course you are already somewhat messed up.  A factory reset certainly clears it out, but that seems overkill to me right now.

Message 17 of 26
Nickee
Tutor

Thanks Stephen (again as always).

Yes - right now it is just working in the background as it should and I am ok with it.

What I am concerned is that a new version comes out and I cant update - I was planning for that scenario.

apt logs dont show much.

I am hesitant to break whats working but as a new update comes up, I may be forced to break it especially if it is a security update.

How would I be able to check the currently installed package from apps.readynas.com - I know I can do dpkg for apt/debian version but is that different from apps.readynas.com version?

Message 18 of 26
Nickee
Tutor

Here is what I found - Resilio is running in ps using this command line option on boot

/apps/resilio-sync/bin/rslsync --config /apps/resilio-sync/config/sync.conf

However, dpkg --list | grep resi or dpkg --list | grep sync shows nothing - there is no package installed that way.

Here are all references to resiliosync in all of /etc

frontview/apache/apps-https.conf:Alias /apps/logo/resilio-sync.png /apps/resilio-sync/logo.png
frontview/apache/WebShare.conf:share:resilio-sync,writeable,0,0
frontview/netatalk/Shares.conf:[resilio-sync]
frontview/netatalk/Shares.conf: path = /data/resilio-sync
frontview/samba/Shares.conf:[resilio-sync]
frontview/samba/Shares.conf: path = /data/resilio-sync
snapper/configs/4:SUBVOLUME="/data/resilio-sync"

I dont know what is inatalled and how anymore

Message 19 of 26
Nickee
Tutor

I was able to see it in apt-cache search resilio and then apt-cache show resilio-sync

Package: resilio-sync
Architecture: armel
Version: 2.5.6
Priority: extra
Section: contrib
Maintainer: Resilio, Inc. <support@resilio.com>
Installed-Size: 13514
Depends: readynasos (>= 6.0.0)
Filename: dists/6.8.1/apps/pool/r/resilio-sync/resilio-sync_2.5.6_armel.deb
Size: 9489776
MD5sum: 87373db55d0e61c8f3e6a2c3a7253bdd
SHA1: ed63db48629cc3f712f89624d54f799cd12d7e8c
SHA256: bcf5521e26fbb7b8945ea0454a983de87b9fb0602231423bafb2f8143d7c6f64
SHA512: 4b58b6409892c658b17d72021a49538baa450f0e67002b1e09194243237c1ee7ce46b95db82bffc166ff0910dd101f22f484cb9dd0cdeb557c9163fb0f0850da
Homepage: 7.0.50
Description: Resilio Sync is a proprietary peer-to-peer file synchronisation tool.
It can sync files between devices on a local network, or between remote
devices over the Internet via a modified version of the BitTorrent protocol.
Description-md5: 07081580fd63de87feeaf828da3a1ec0

Message 20 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@Nickee wrote:

How would I be able to check the currently installed package from apps.readynas.com - I know I can do dpkg for apt/debian version but is that different from apps.readynas.com version?

Well, the apps.readynas.com version will install it to /apps (keeping it from filling your OS partition), and will include the glue needed for the GUI install/uninstall.  The link I gave earlier is the NAS deb file, you can certainly look into it, and compare it with the debian version.

Did you also check apt-history.log in the NAS log zip download?

Message 21 of 26
Nickee
Tutor

Here are the two relevant recent lines in that log

Start-Date: 2017-08-30 07:44:14
Commandline: apt-get -qq install -fy rn-dictionary freeapp-collection readynasos ca-certificates
Upgrade: freeapp-collection:armel (1500585348, 1503317018), readynasos:armel (6.8.0, 6.8.0+2), wsdd2:armel (1.6, 1.7)
End-Date: 2017-08-30 07:44:22

Start-Date: 2017-10-09 18:10:39
Commandline: apt-get upgrade
Upgrade: perl-base:armel (5.20.2-3+deb8u8, 5.20.2-3+deb8u9), libperl5.20:armel (5.20.2-3+deb8u8, 5.20.2-3+deb8u9), wsdd2:armel (1.7, 1.8), apache2-utils:armel (2.4.10-10+deb8u10, 2.4.10-10+deb8u11)
End-Date: 2017-10-09 18:10:44

The last line was me running a manual apt update after I ran into this problem and was asked to run apt update

The app-install.log has this

-- No entries --

Message 22 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@Nickee wrote:

Commandline: apt-get upgrade 

The last line was me running a manual apt update after I ran into this problem and was asked to run apt update

Actually you ran apt-get upgrade which is not recommended (and could have bricked your NAS).

However, you apparently got away with it this time.

Message 23 of 26
Nickee
Tutor

Ok - firmware 6.9 is out - upadting - fingers crossed that this "unacknowldged" issue has been "silently" fixed.

Message 24 of 26
Nickee
Tutor

Silly me - just rebooted after 6.9 and no Resilio !

Just Frustrated !

Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements