× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Restore function broken: Apps do not work correctly after full restore

kevinb1
Aspirant

Restore function broken: Apps do not work correctly after full restore

When rebuilding a Ultra 6 Plus that had a bad RAID (800GB missing in a 14.4TB array), I had serious problems getting Apps to work.

Original System: U6+ (4GB RAM), OS 6.4.1, 14.4TB array. Apps installed: Transmission (as backup: installed but not normally active), Sickrage was NOT installed on the original system.

Rebuild procedure:

Removed disks and zeroed, Factory reset, started with 1 3.6TB HD to rebuild array. Did a restore from previous build, then added Transmission, Sickrage from Apps>Available Apps. Here's what happened:

Transmission: config.json file showed rpc port set to 9091, rpc whitelist at 127.0.0.1. Fixed by SSH'ing in then manually editing file to change port to 8181 (to match ReadyNAS "Launch" specs) and adding 192.168.0.* to whitelist. Web interface available.

Sickrage: No files present in /apps/sickrage/app-config. Zip. Nada. Nothing. I considered adding everything in by hand, then decided to rebuild differently. to see if I could fix it.

By doing another factory reset then adding apps BEFORE the restore, everything appears to be correct (Transmission: good settings.json file, Sickrage has files in /apps/sickrage/app-config).

HOWEVER, when doing an initial update within Sickrage, it breaks the app. The config files are there, but the web interface no longer comes up.

I then uninstalled then reinstalled Sickrage to see if it would come up: After reinstalling, there were once again No files present in /apps/sickrage/app-config, so the default install seems to be broken.

Apparently, doing a full restore permanently kills the ability to add/change/upgrade/reinstall apps.

Is this a Apps problem, or a problem with how OS6 treats App installation after a restore? I suspect the latter.

Would choosing to do a partial restore be possible? Is this a "Services" or "Misc" Restore problem?

I would rather not have to rebuild my shares, users, services manually. However, if it is the only way to work around the problem with this obviously broken Restore, I'll do so.

Logs downloaded and available upon request.

Comments, anyone?

I'll be doing yet another factory reset and a partial restore to see if I can get around this. <sigh>

Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Restore function broken: Apps do not work correctly after full restore

/apps is just another mount point for /data/.apps, so it could be tricky to restore the full data volume without interfering with the apps.  

I'm not sure of the best workaround - my own backups are always share-by-share, and I generally just reinstall my apps from scratch.  I have seen some odd behavior when I've restored an old config file though - some settings not being preserved, etc.

Message 2 of 6
kevinb1
Aspirant

OK, more info.

I was able to do a restore as long as I chose Custom and checked everything but  "Share Access", then hand-installed the shares and set everything up: permissions, services, etc.. Not fun.

Looks like Restore>Share Access locks up both Transmission and Sickrage, in both cases never doing the "configuration" part of the App installation as a result.

Reinstalling apps from scratch MIGHT work if you did it from a .deb file, because it's broken in the Apps>Available Apps installation, at least for Transmission & Sickrage. Those 2 relatively simple packages not installing stopped me, so I didn't even look at things like github, osticket, surveillance, prestashop, etc. 

Repeat: NOT fun.

And certainly broken. 

I take your point about the apps mount point. but since this is by long-ago setup Netgear standard, mission-critical operations like a configuration backup and restore should work flawlessly, especially since it's practically the only way to come back from hardware failure of the unit in question. And if I was restoring to a replacement unit, it would be a brand-killer if a restore killed apps, as this one seems to do. IT departments I've worked in would junk and ban hardware if they couldn't restore to replacement hardware.

Instead, I have to use RSS (potentially breaking warranty) and dive in "behind the curtain" to find out some of what's going on, and it certainly seems as if there's SOMETHING important not being done right. Especially if I can see stuff in the config directory broken right away, broken so badly that there's no web interface, not solvable by a remove & reinstall, and as near as I can tell not fixable without tarballing over files from the original unit. 

I confess, I could not recommend a ReadyNAS product based on this.

QNAPs are already off my list, for just this reason.

Synology units are not known for having this problem.

I never had a Config Restore kill an add-on in old RAIDiator, and I was running a few.

Logs available. I'd sure like to do what I can to help ReadyNAS people to fix this problem. I was just lucky in that this was a backup to an active unit.

Hope this helps! Now just to wait until the 1st resync is done, to start the slow, painful "add disk, resync, rsync" back to see if I get the full array availaible this time.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@kevinb1 wrote:

mission-critical operations like a configuration backup and restore should work flawlessly, especially since it's practically the only way to come back from hardware failure of the unit in question.

I agree.  

Message 4 of 6
kevinb1
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@kevinb1 wrote:

mission-critical operations like a configuration backup and restore should work flawlessly, especially since it's practically the only way to come back from hardware failure of the unit in question.

I agree.  

Is there any way to get ReadyNAS dev group involved in this? I want to help, but haven't been contacted by anyone other than yourself. I don't know enough of the internals this time (how Netgear Apps install), but I sure can make a repeatable and presumably duplicatable error.

Or am I just whistling in the wind?

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@kevinb1 wrote:
Is there any way to get ReadyNAS dev group involved in this? I want to help, but haven't been contacted by anyone other than yourself. I don't know enough of the internals this time (how Netgear Apps install), but I sure can make a repeatable and presumably duplicatable error.

I don't work for Netgear, so I have no special access.  I will forward it to one of the developers.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements