× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Root Access

Newsat11
Luminary

Root Access

I am in need of root access to my Readynas. It's the SSH add-on the only option? I need to change my default upload limit for PHP.
Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Root Access

On an OS6 NAS go to System > Settings > Services and enable SSH.

On a legacy ReadyNAS you will need to install the EnableRootSSH add-on.

Any way you get root access has the same support implications.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 18

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

On an OS6 NAS go to System > Settings > Services and enable SSH.

On a legacy ReadyNAS you will need to install the EnableRootSSH add-on.

Any way you get root access has the same support implications.

Message 2 of 18
Newsat11
Luminary

It's there any GUI for root access?
Message 3 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@Newsat11 wrote:

No, just CLI

Message 4 of 18
Newsat11
Luminary

I'm new to having to log in through SSH. None of the command seem to be working after login. I am trying to navigate to the config.php file and make changes. Can you suggest any tutorials or have any advice?
Message 5 of 18
StephenB
Guru

Generally it is risky to use ssh on the NAS if you don't understand what the commands do.

What commands are you trying to enter?  

In your case, you could copy the config file to a share, and then use notepad++ on a PC to edit it.  (notepad won't work, you want a tool that maintains linux end-of-line conventions).  That would be easier than attempting to use vi.

Message 6 of 18
Newsat11
Luminary

Hmmm. Maybe I missed something. I am trying to copy the config file to share and make edits. I don't see the directory where it is stored. It was my understanding the only way to get to the directory was throught SSH? Is that incorrect? Truthfully there may be a number of files I need to edit. I need edit the Moodle standard.php file as well. I have been treking down this road in an effort to gain access to all the files for ReadyNAS plug-ins. Can you help with that?

Message 7 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@Newsat11 wrote:

Hmmm. Maybe I missed something. I am trying to copy the config file to share and make edits. I don't see the directory where it is stored. It was my understanding the only way to get to the directory was throught SSH? Is that incorrect? 

Most of the app data is in /data/.apps (which is also mounted as /apps).  You can see /apps only with ssh, but you can see /data/.apps if you mount the /data volume as a drive letter on your pc.  For instance

net use z: \\nasname\data /user:admin password

However, the files you are looking for might be somewhere else (depending on the app install).  I don't have php installed on my os6 systems, so I'm not sure where they are put.

If you do find the files in /data/.apps (or if you copy them to a share for editing), make sure you edit with notepad++ and be careful to preserve linux formatting.

Message 8 of 18
Newsat11
Luminary

So I should clear up a couple things about the equipment. I'll be on a Mac, mounting with SMB. Do the same instructions apply, or should I be mounting with AFP? I'll be editing in DWeaver do Linux formatting won't be a problem.
Message 9 of 18
StephenB
Guru

The net use command doesn't apply to Mac, its just windows.  Mac also uses the same formatting as linux for text files, so that is not a concern.

You will want to access /data/.apps using SMB even though you are on a mac.   I don't have any macs, but I think this guide is likely correct: http://users.wfu.edu/yipcw/atg/apple/smb/

.apps is a hidden folder (which I gather is a pain on a mac).   But I think you can simply use smb:\\nasname\data\.apps for the server address. You will need to use admin as the username, and the NAS admin password for the password.

Message 10 of 18
Sandshark
Sensei

@Newsat11 wrote:

Pydio (Ajaxplorer on legacy systems) is a GUI file access program that can be used to perform edits on many system .php and .conf files. 

Message 11 of 18
Newsat11
Luminary

Man....this it's becoming a hassle (excuse the frustration). Access to the .apps directory was not a problem...turning on hidden files was not a problem. Still...can find the .php file I am looking for. The search is turning out to be harder than the modification. Lol. It's 30 seconds to change the line of code, 30 hours to find the file. Has no one else done this? What sad is this all to get my test server to match my live server. I can access the file on my hosted server anytime, but I do all my testing offline. The 2MB upload restriction is ridiculous.
Message 12 of 18
Newsat11
Luminary

The directory I am looking for is /etc/php5/apache2
Message 13 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@Newsat11 wrote:
The directory I am looking for is /etc/php5/apache2

You'll need ssh for that (or possibly pydio).

Message 14 of 18
Newsat11
Luminary

Thanks to StephenB and the Netgear community for all there help. I will install Ajax Explorer (think it's still called that) and see what happens. If that doesn't work I'll have to learn SSH, which isn't hard, but seemed like a lot of effort to change a number in a config file. I'm trying really hard to make ReadyNAS the equipment default for these installing and this is really the last hurdle...It's been a long road. Thanks again, I'll write one more post either letting everyone know Ajax Explorer worked, or that I manned up on SSH.
Message 15 of 18
Newsat11
Luminary

Manned up on the command line, but still having problems. Pydio did not give me access to the files I needed. I am now using SSH but no directories are listed in the Root. Any thoughts?
Message 16 of 18
StephenB
Guru

Did you try 

cd /etc/php5/apache2

Message 17 of 18
Newsat11
Luminary

Thanks for the answer. I know how to get to this directory, you anwered the question on my other thread.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements