× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Running VirtualBox VM host on ReadyNAS Pro

invader980
Aspirant

jmalmlund wrote:
invader980 wrote:
prometheus wrote:
Is this likely to become an installable package 😄
i would be really interested in running this on my ultra 4

secound that .... which i had the know how to put this together i feel so left out 😞 lol

I doubt that this will ever become an installable package, sure it could be done but I'll share my thoughts as to why it's unlikely.

1. To install VirtualBox there are a number of pre-requisits that needs to be in place, build-essentials for example. These are usually not hard to install, just do
apt-get update
apt-get install build-essential amd64-libs lib64stdc++6 bzip2 lib64z1 lzma
apt-get --reinstall install libc6-amd64
and one should be ready to install VirtualBox.
Only problem is that the software-repository holding these components for 4.2.19 is broken with version mismatches and creating an add-on that first downgrades the installed RAIDiator software to 4.2.17, a version that to my knowledge doesn't work well with Mac OS X Lion afp isn't a good idea.

2. To have any real use for VirtualBox on a ReadyNAS a memory-upgrade is also needed, the stock 1GB won't get anyone very far when considering that about half of that is needed to run the ReadyNAS itself. I've got 2GB ram in my Pro Pioneer and if I run transmission and a VirtualBox computer with any more than 256MB memory the ReadyNAS starts swaping out memory to disk which can really slow everything to a crawl, or even a complete system crash (ReadyNAS looks up only to reboot it self moments later, happened to me twice when trying to allocate more memory to a vm computer).

3. Every ReadyNAS in the Ultra series except for the Ultra 6 Plus uses Intel Atom cpu's and Ultra 4 Plus is the first to feature dual-core cpu's, but even so I wouldn't even consider running any virtualization software on an Atom cpu, they are simply not designed for it.

agreed... i run the ultra 4 plus so i am runing the atom dual core ... and a ram upgrade for such a reason + i dont do apple product so im the perfect candidate for a beta app 😉 lol (J/K), the potential draw backs r pretty major but the potential u open ur nas up to is exponential i would even go so far as to experiment with the 4gb upgrades people have gotten working to do soo.... i think an atom dual core has much unlocked potential and can do some major work (aside from the obvious cpu intensive task).I think the limited os it has is handy capping this amazing nas... i mean there are alot of simple task that can be accomplished with a handy windows app that if my nas is already on ... id love for it to preform for me vs turning on a comp to do such. Ive made plenty of atom based systems for people to do simple task (eg: media encoding (not hd of course) / seed box / folder syncing & unraring/encryption/ Virtual hard mounting ) that although it will do it SLOWLY its out of site out of mind always on & low consumption and it WILL get the task done with 24 hours 7 days a week to work on it lol (granted most of this there r current add-ons for )

credit were credit is due ... the readynas has one of the most amazing communities ive ever seen for a line of product and the amount/usefullness of the ad-ons created for it are amazing . I'm in love with my readynas lol , unfortunately i dont live in the world of linux so there very little i can do outside the add-ons created for it to customize it 😞 ( other then bugg everyone to make an app for me )

thanx for the info ( will keep my fingers cross , and a single tear lol) maybe one day ill get the guts to dive into this and see if i can make this happen
Message 326 of 442
laksmkk
Aspirant

With the mini-guide written by jmalmlund was successfully able to install Windows. Now here is my question? How do I install the sound card?
Message 327 of 442
MikeMcr1
Aspirant

jmalmlund wrote:
Only problem is that the software-repository holding these components for 4.2.19 is broken with version mismatches and creating an add-on that first downgrades the installed RAIDiator software to 4.2.17, a version that to my knowledge doesn't work well with Mac OS X Lion afp isn't a good idea.

Has this been fixed yet? Am I safe to install VirtualBox with 4.2.19?
Message 328 of 442
InTheShires
Tutor

MikeMcr wrote:
jmalmlund wrote:

I don't know the answer at all, but I'm running into errors that "could" relate the above quote. (At least the way I'm interpreting things)

I'm simply trying to install bzip2/bunzip2.
Message 329 of 442
jmalmlund
Aspirant

InTheShires wrote:
MikeMcr wrote:
jmalmlund wrote:

I don't know the answer at all, but I'm running into errors that "could" relate the above quote. (At least the way I'm interpreting things)

4.2.19 is still a no-go and I don't expect it to ever get fixed eigther seeing how work on 4.2.20 seems to be progressing with numerous beta releases already. I just hope that Netgear doesn't make the same mistake again and that we'll have a working software repository once again when 4.2.20 is released in finalized form.
Message 330 of 442
MikeMcr1
Aspirant

jmalmlund wrote:
4.2.19 is still a no-go and I don't expect it to ever get fixed eigther seeing how work on 4.2.20 seems to be progressing with numerous beta releases already. I just hope that Netgear doesn't make the same mistake again and that we'll have a working software repository once again when 4.2.20 is released in finalized form.

OK, thanks, that is very poor of Netgear; how can they expect people to keep up to date with RAIDiator releases when they make these mistakes :x
Message 331 of 442
jmalmlund
Aspirant

laksmkk wrote:
With the mini-guide written by jmalmlund was successfully able to install Windows. Now here is my question? How do I install the sound card?

First you need to assign what soundcard your virtual machine should have, for a Windows XP machine this would do.
VBoxManage modifyvm <name> --audiocontroller ac97

If you use Vista 64bit or Windows 7 32/64bit the only supported controller (soundcard) is named "hda"..

Once this is done (with machine powered off) and you start it again you just need to install the appropriate windows drivers to support the card you selected to use.

ps. When setting up your virtual machines from a console everything is done using the application 'VBoxManage' and to get usage help just type 'VBoxManage' without any commands and it'll print a list of all supported commands. If you just need a reminder of how 'VBoxManage modifyvm' works, then press enter after that and you'll get help on just 'modifyvm' section.
Message 332 of 442
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

MikeMcr wrote:

OK, thanks, that is very poor of Netgear; how can they expect people to keep up to date with RAIDiator releases when they make these mistakes :x

You do not have to run the latest RAIDiator. However, it is expected that you will run a recent version of RAIDiator. After all, firmware updates are free. If you run very old firmware limited support can be provided. If you rely on running software like Virtualbox then I would suggest waiting after a firmware upgrade for reports of successful installation of Virtualbox on that firmware. Keep an eye on this thread.

It is true that often a firmware update will be recommended for many problems as an early troubleshooting step, to see if it will fix it, but the choice is still up to you as to whether you update to the newer firmware.

It should also be pointed out that installing and using software like Virtualbox is not "supported". Whilst NetGear makes it possible to do so, the only support you'll get for that will be from this forum. The focus of NetGear's QA testing would be on features handled by the GUI, not extra things you can do via SSH (the possibilities of what you can do are rather endless). Having said that in most cases firmware updates shouldn't cause problems with this. In the rare case there is an issue due to a problem at their end that slips by then they will then deal with it proceeding based on what the determine as the best way forward. Sometimes unfortunately it may not be able to be resolved until a firmware update is provided.

There are of course likely complications due to the continued use of Debian etch. NetGear has looked into moving to Debian Lenny or Debian Squeeze, but there are issues that prevent that from being possible at this time: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=58629&p=332047
Message 333 of 442
jmalmlund
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:

You do not have to run the latest RAIDiator. However, it is expected that you will run a recent version of RAIDiator. After all, firmware updates are free. If you run very old firmware limited support can be provided. If you rely on running software like Virtualbox then I would suggest waiting after a firmware upgrade for reports of successful installation of Virtualbox on that firmware. Keep an eye on this thread.

It is true that often a firmware update will be recommended for many problems as an early troubleshooting step, to see if it will fix it, but the choice is still up to you as to whether you update to the newer firmware.

It should also be pointed out that installing and using software like Virtualbox is not "supported". Whilst NetGear makes it possible to do so, the only support you'll get for that will be from this forum. The focus of NetGear's QA testing would be on features handled by the GUI, not extra things you can do via SSH (the possibilities of what you can do are rather endless). Having said that in most cases firmware updates shouldn't cause problems with this. In the rare case there is an issue due to a problem at their end that slips by then they will then deal with it proceeding based on what the determine as the best way forward. Sometimes unfortunately it may not be able to be resolved until a firmware update is provided.

There are of course likely complications due to the continued use of Debian etch. NetGear has looked into moving to Debian Lenny or Debian Squeeze, but there are issues that prevent that from being possible at this time: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=58629&p=332047

While I agree that there's nothing that say that I have to run the latest RAIDiator but it's still expected.

But what's more, from a developers perspective I really think that this is an area which does deserve to be checked in the QA since some of tools that are now unavailable for "normal" apt-get installs in 4.2.19, well they are required for development of some of the add-ons!

I don't expect Netgear to ever support things like VirtualBox but I do expect them to support their developer community with tools to make great add-ons!

Sure I'll admit that I can manually install (download/compile/install) pretty much all software that's missing from the apt-sources to get these tools and then keep developing with/running the desired tools/programs but that I still hope that this was a one-off mistake from Netgear and that they'll get it right when they release 4.2.20. If not then I really really hope that the major version update that'll give us a newer Debian base (Lenny or preferably Squeeze) will leap forward soon 😎
Message 334 of 442
laksmkk
Aspirant

Thank You for the reply
Message 335 of 442
maciekish
Aspirant

jmalmlund wrote:
InTheShires wrote:
MikeMcr wrote:
jmalmlund wrote:

Its not a no-go. I got it running and i just installed bzip2 from sources on http://bzip.org/.

Just make && make install. No ./configure
Message 336 of 442
maciekish
Aspirant

Any1 got the bridged network working? I got some error but forgot to copy it. Will restart the vm soon and get the exact error.
Message 337 of 442
maciekish
Aspirant

Heres the error. Any clues please? As i said before, trying to run bridged networking on an Ultra 2 with 2GB RAM.

Error: failed to start machine. Error message: Failed to open/create the internal network 'HostInterfaceNetworking-' (VERR_INVALID_PARAMETER).
Failed to attach the network LUN (VERR_INVALID_PARAMETER)
Message 338 of 442
maciekish
Aspirant

maciekish wrote:
Heres the error. Any clues please? As i said before, trying to run bridged networking on an Ultra 2 with 2GB RAM.

Error: failed to start machine. Error message: Failed to open/create the internal network 'HostInterfaceNetworking-' (VERR_INVALID_PARAMETER).
Failed to attach the network LUN (VERR_INVALID_PARAMETER)

SOLVED: VBoxManage modifyvm "Ubuntu" --nic1 bridged --bridgeadapter1 eth0
Message 339 of 442
cmassey
Guide

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone in this thread 🙂
Especially to both jmalmlund & Xaver

After a bit of tweaking I now have a WinXP VM working on my Pro 6 with 4.2.19
The main issues I had was with apt-get not working with 4.2.19, so went back to 4.2.17, still no joy.
So I decided to upgrade to 4.2.20 [T32] installed what I needed and moved back to 4.2.19 (not sure if this was a good or bad thing to do but no issues so far for the NAS or Virtualbox)
Message 340 of 442
cduce
Aspirant

Ok, so during my numerous attempts to install VirtualBox on my Ultra+, here's where I stand and I need some assistance from the community.

- Before going on this Journey, my FW was at 4.2.19, and I ran into quite a few issues attempting to get VB installed; so I saw a few posts where ppl were having success with FW 4.2.17, so I figured a downgrade wouldn't hurt.
- I proceed with the downgrade and now I cannot access my NAS via GUI, but can still access via SSH., Not exactly sure what I may have done to the GUI, but I need to get it back.
- Also, everytime I try to do an apt-get -f install, I get the following error msg:

Linking and byte-compiling packages for runtime python2.4...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/py_compile.py", line 164, in ?
main()
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/py_compile.py", line 159, in main
compile(filename, doraise=True)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/py_compile.py", line 115, in compile
f = open(file, 'U')
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '-'
dpkg: error processing python2.4-minimal (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of python2.4:
python2.4 depends on python2.4-minimal (= 2.4.4-3+etch3); however:
Package python2.4-minimal is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing python2.4 (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of virtualbox-2.1:
virtualbox-2.1 depends on python2.4 (>= 2.3.90); however:
Package python2.4 is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing virtualbox-2.1 (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Setting up bzip2 (1.0.3-6) ...

Errors were encountered while processing:
python2.4-minimal
python2.4
virtualbox-2.1
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Any guidance on this will be appreciated 🙂
Message 341 of 442
cmassey
Guide

cduce wrote:
Any guidance on this will be appreciated 🙂

Did you see the post above?

cmassey wrote:

So I decided to upgrade to 4.2.20 [T32] installed what I needed and moved back to 4.2.19 (not sure if this was a good or bad thing to do but no issues so far for the NAS or Virtualbox)
Message 342 of 442
gexxie
Aspirant

Hello,

I was a happy user on VMware server 2 on top on my readynas ultra 2+ but since I upgraded to the last releases, I have not been able to make it work again. I know, I should have waited for other folks to confirm it would still work...
This is really a pain because I was running a SSL VPn appliance and since I have no longer remote access to my network :cry:

So I decided to migrate to Virtual box and no joy I can not make it work.
I have followed the instructions on this forum but still not working.
I've got the following
 /usr/bin/VBoxManage extpack install Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.1.0-73009.vbox-extpack
/opt/VirtualBox/VBoxManage: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypt.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

The library is already on the nas:
 find -name  libcrypt.so.1
./lib/libcrypt.so.1

so I tried to link it but still no joy
 ln -s libcrypto.so.1 /lib/libcrypto.so.1
ldconfig
/usr/bin/VBoxManage extpack install Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.1.0-73009.vbox-extpack
/opt/VirtualBox/VBoxManage: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypt.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

openssl is the latest version on my nas
 sudo apt-get install openssl
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
openssl is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove

any ideas?
Message 343 of 442
j6harri
Aspirant

Just a quick update of the install instructions provided by jmalmlund...

I just ran through and updated this Miniguide on installing/upgrading VirtualBox 4.1.14 on RAIDiator 4.2.20.

Section 1 for new installations,

apt-get update
apt-get install build-essential amd64-libs lib64stdc++6 bzip2 lib64z1 lzma
apt-get --reinstall install libc6-amd64

Section 1 for upgrades,

apt-get update
apt-get -f install

Section 2 for both new installs and upgrades.

mkdir /c/VirtualBox
cd /c/VirtualBox
wget -q http://www.readynas.com/download/GPL/RNDP6xxx_4.2.20_WW_src.zip
unzip -q RNDP6xxx_4.2.20_WW_src.zip "linux-2.6.37.6/*"
ln -snf `pwd`/linux-2.6.37.6 /usr/src/linux
cd linux-2.6.37.6
cp arch/x86/configs/defconfig.smp .config
make ARCH=x86_64 silentoldconfig
make prepare
make modules_prepare
make
make modules

cd ..
wget -q http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.1.14/VirtualBox-4.1.14-77440-Linux_amd64.run
wget -q http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.1.14/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.1.14-77440.vbox-extpack
chmod 755 VirtualBox-4.1.14-77440-Linux_amd64.run

Section 3, optional for upgraders, not relevant for new installs.
IF upgraders want to start clean with the install insert this command now to uninstall previous lingering VirtualBox components.

./VirtualBox-4.1.10-73009-Linux_amd64.run uninstall

Section 4, install/upgrade VirtualBox

./VirtualBox-4.1.14-77440-Linux_amd64.run

Section 5, new installs

/usr/bin/VBoxManage extpack install Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.1.14-77440.vbox-extpack

Section 5, for upgrades,
It's to my knowledge not possible to just upgrade the extpack, the old one needs to be uninstalled to allow the new pack to be installed.

/usr/bin/VBoxManage extpack uninstall "Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack"
/usr/bin/VBoxManage extpack install Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.1.14-77440.vbox-extpack

Note that it's the extpack that contains the RDP module...

Xaver added a really nice set of instructions on how to set up a basic virtual machine here, just keep in mind that most ReadyNas'es come with only 1GB ram, don't assign too much to your virtual machines or everything will come to a crawl if heavy memory swapping starts to occur.

Mini FAQ:
1. Are these instructions valid for my ReadyNas of type <insert your Nas here>?
If it has an 64bit intel CPU they should be. (I have a ReadyNas Pro Pioneer so if you have something else, well then your milage may vary and if so, then please help us by posting the specifics for your type of nas.)

2. Why is AMD stuff mentioned when the ReadyNas boxes use Intel cpu's?
Because the cpu is 64bit, more details by sphardy: here

3. A new version is out, (Radiator or VirtualBox), is this guide still valid?
Well, other than that you have to use other links and perhaps extract a newer kernel version than what's suggested herein you can still follow the guide and change to newer versions/links where needed.

ps. I've been thinking that it would be nice if there was a wiki so that it would be easier for anyone to help out keeping the instructions up to date... get in touch if you'd like to be a part of such a wiki-forum.[/quote]
Message 344 of 442
indomiti
Aspirant

I tried to follow j6harri guide but i think something goes wrong with my VirtualBox kernel modules?

RAIDiator 4.2.20 and VirtualBox 4.1.14

# VBoxHeadless -startvm "Debian" &
[1] 12927
Netgear-NAS:/c/VirtualBox# WARNING: The vboxdrv kernel module is not loaded. Either there is no module
available for the current kernel (2.6.37.6.RNx86_64.2.2) or it failed to
load. Please recompile the kernel module and install it by

sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

# /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules ...done.
Starting VirtualBox kernel modules ...failed!
(modprobe vboxdrv failed. Please use 'dmesg' to find out why)

# modprobe vboxdrv
FATAL: Error inserting vboxdrv (/lib/modules/2.6.37.6.RNx86_64.2.2/misc/vboxdrv.ko): Invalid argument
Message 345 of 442
Xaver
Tutor

is it save to upgrade from 4.2.17 to 4.2.20 with VBox Installed or should i first deinstall the Vbox and so on before Update.

does the 4.2.20 now support the reinstall of the Vbox system?
Message 346 of 442
WhoCares_
Mentor

As VirtualBox suggested when it failed: What's the output of "dmesg"?

-Stefan
Message 347 of 442
indomiti
Aspirant

WhoCares? wrote:
As VirtualBox suggested when it failed: What's the output of "dmesg"?

-Stefan

Hi Stefan, i put it here http://pastebin.com/vJYdmPSr
Message 348 of 442
WhoCares_
Mentor

Pretty much looks like you did something wrong when compiling the modules or preparing the kernel tree but from your snippets I can't really say what exactly. My best advice would be to start from scratch, this is what fixes these kind of problems for me.

-Stefan
Message 349 of 442
cmassey
Guide

indomiti wrote:
I tried to follow j6harri guide but i think something goes wrong with my VirtualBox kernel modules?

RAIDiator 4.2.20 and VirtualBox 4.1.14

# VBoxHeadless -startvm "Debian" &
[1] 12927
Netgear-NAS:/c/VirtualBox# WARNING: The vboxdrv kernel module is not loaded. Either there is no module
available for the current kernel (2.6.37.6.RNx86_64.2.2) or it failed to
load. Please recompile the kernel module and install it by

sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

# /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules ...done.
Starting VirtualBox kernel modules ...failed!
(modprobe vboxdrv failed. Please use 'dmesg' to find out why)

# modprobe vboxdrv
FATAL: Error inserting vboxdrv (/lib/modules/2.6.37.6.RNx86_64.2.2/misc/vboxdrv.ko): Invalid argument

Not that this is going to help but I have the same issue.
Was working fine until I upgrade to T20, it stopped working after the upgrade tos so I reinstalled, and still not working.

Will keep playing and may roll back firmware to see if that fixes the issue.
Message 350 of 442
Top Contributors
Announcements