× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Running VirtualBox VM host on ReadyNAS Pro

Xaver
Tutor

is it safe to update from 4.2.24 to 4.2.25?
does this update break the vbox?
Message 426 of 442
dsm1212
Apprentice

Virtualbox should really be rebuilt if you change the kernel. I checked just now and the 4.2.25 source zip has not been posted (the line downloads a zero byte zip) so we can't rebuild it yet. When I went from 4.2.23 to 4.2.24 it still ran without rebuilding but there was a bad performance problem.

steve
Message 427 of 442
Xaver
Tutor

ok, so I will wait. (never change a running system 🙂 )

I was hopping that this update don't change anything on the kernel and "only" update some modules or samba or so.
Message 428 of 442
chirpa
Luminary

dsm1212 wrote:
I checked just now and the 4.2.25 source zip has not been posted (the line downloads a zero byte zip) so we can't rebuild it yet.
Still broken; viewtopic.php?f=35&t=74131
Message 429 of 442
chirpa
Luminary

Skywalker put GPL on readynas.com an poked the support guys to fix the FTP.
http://www.readynas.com/download/GPL/4. ... src.tar.xz (351MB)
ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/GPL/R ... WW_src.zip (594MB)
Message 430 of 442
Xaver
Tutor

do I have to do the full guied form viewtopic.php?f=35&t=26468&start=390#p388110 when I upgrade or is there some stuff i can skip?
Message 431 of 442
chirpa
Luminary

Upgrades should only need stuff after: ### Download ReadyNAS Kernel-Build-Tools
Message 432 of 442
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Comparing the 4.2.24 and 4.2.25 GPL it doesn't look like there were any GPL related kernel changes, but the kernel for 4.2.25 was built months after 4.2.24 was released.

See http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=74331
Message 433 of 442
sander11
Aspirant

Has anyone tried Virtualbox 4.3 yet? I'm debating it, but then I remember how much work it was getting the initial setup running. :lol:

I'm debating going all in with a q7600 and 8GB of RAM to make it into a full blown homelab, but I have never gotten very good performance from 64bit guests. 4.3 is supposed to have re-written the VT-x code so maybe it will work better.
Message 434 of 442
dsm1212
Apprentice

sander wrote:
Has anyone tried Virtualbox 4.3 yet? I'm debating it, but then I remember how much work it was getting the initial setup running. :lol:

I'm debating going all in with a q7600 and 8GB of RAM to make it into a full blown homelab, but I have never gotten very good performance from 64bit guests. 4.3 is supposed to have re-written the VT-x code so maybe it will work better.

Sorry, just so this old question. I'm running 4.3.6 no problem. I used mattyshack's latest instructions before they were lost 😞 .
Message 435 of 442
sander11
Aspirant

Thanks for updating. I couldn't get a straight answer if 4.3 was really the best version so I went up to 4.2.22 which has worked out well. I did get the Q6600 and 8GB of RAM and I am able to pretty easily run 3 medium sized vms. The Q6600 runs a little hotter than I expected but I don't think the virtualbox adds too much, unless the vms start using a lot of cpu of course.
I'm still working out my nagios metrics which was built using eznag and can track data with pnp4nagios so I should be able to figure out in time if 4.2 or 4.3 is better if I really get ambitious.

I clipped and saved one of mattyshack's last updates (vbox 4.3.2/readynas 4.2.24), but I thought he'd posted a bunch of version and the general process was mostly the same. He really helped us all out with those notes.
Message 436 of 442
dsm1212
Apprentice

If you have one of the 4.2.24 instructions would you mind reply posting to the 4.2.24 note? I don't think there is a copy anywhere else.

thanks,

steve
Message 437 of 442
MJH77
Aspirant

Hi All,

I have followed the instructions as per post http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=26468&start=390#p388110 to install on my ultra 4 plus some time ago without much success and gave up. I am trying to upgrade my readnas to RAIDiator 4.2.27 though is failing after the reboot with unable to properly extract and is failing back to RAIDiator 4.2.25. I saw a post to remove the symbolic links for apache and apache2 though am unsure how to do this. Is there a way to undo the steps of trying to install virtual box so I can complete the upgrade to 4.2.27.

Thanks,
Michael
Message 438 of 442
dsm1212
Apprentice

Installing virtualbox with the instructions was hazardous. I ran this for quite a while, but changes in the distros that netgear and debian posted made it problematic. If you followed the instructions to the letter you probably ended up with a c runtime update that is difficult to undo. If the 4plus is capable of running os6, I highly recommend backing up your data, updating to os6 and reloading. I found I no longer needed vbox because the newer os (debian 7) could run everything I wanted. Sorry, not what you wanted to hear.
Message 439 of 442
dannieboiz
Aspirant

Does anyone know if this process work on OS6? Would love to get Win 8 running on my RN.
Message 440 of 442
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

For OS6, see threads such as this one: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=74054
Message 441 of 442
dannieboiz
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
For OS6, see threads such as this one: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=74054

cool thanks!
Message 442 of 442
Top Contributors
Announcements