× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SMB Plus probably destroyed my 6.2.4 installation

Campus
Apprentice

SMB Plus probably destroyed my 6.2.4 installation

Hi,

two days ago I tried the SMB Plus addon and after testing it I uninstalled. This uninstall came up with an error message. I ignored this error. Then I had to restart the machine and now my samba seems to be broken completely. I cannot browse some folders etc pp.

How do I reinstall 6.2.4 with the available image file? I don't want to update to 6.4.0 yet.

Please advise.

Best,

Campus

PS. this forum software really sucks... why do I have to give this a label to get a post preview? What is a label anyway?

Message 1 of 15
Campus
Apprentice

Re: SMB Plus probably destroyed my 6.2.4 installation

Ok, found the right page to reinstall 6.2.4 and after that it was working again. The SMB Plus needs to be fixed anyway.

Message 2 of 15
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

SMB Plus makes changes to an overrides file, so its functionality is very limited in the grand scheme of things. On uninstall of SMB Plus, the overrides file is not manipulated.  On OS Reinstall, the overrides file is not touched, so I don't believe this was your problem.

Message 3 of 15
Campus
Apprentice

Thanks for your explanation. Could you please point me to the override file so I can manually remove it from the machine?

Best,

Campus

Message 4 of 15
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

It's /etc/frontview/samba/smb.conf.overrides

Message 5 of 15
Campus
Apprentice

That file does not exist on my machine. Hmmm. Could the firmware re-install be responsible for removing this file?

Message 6 of 15
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

The OS reinstall overwrites existing simple config files that are system generated, but does not overwrite or remove this file. 

Message 7 of 15
Campus
Apprentice

Ok, this leaves me puzzled but I will leave it as it is. Thanks for your time.

Message 8 of 15
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

When you had SMB Plus installed, did you make any modifications or just observe the UI and uninstall?

Message 9 of 15
Campus
Apprentice

I don't remember exactly whether I applied a few of my clicks but I believe I did not. As far as I can remember I just went through the different tabs to look for the oplocks option and then went on to read some Samba documentation about it. After that I decided to remove the addon which showed the error message.

Message 10 of 15
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

If you didn't make any changes, then the overrides file was never generated.  
The uninstall for SMB Plus just removes the plugin from its directory and refreshes apache.

Would be interesting to know what you were experiencing at that time.

Message 11 of 15
Campus
Apprentice

The error message when uninstalling was pretty generic "System: Failed to uninstall application 'SMB Plus'."

The problem I had after this: I could browse the folder structure but I could not access/read the files. For example Windows Explorer did not show any application icons. And trying to copy a file never started.

Message 12 of 15
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

When you uninstall SMB Plus, it'll force removal of /apps/smbplus and reload the apache2 server since the web config is removed and so not sure exactly why it failed. Maybe you might see something in the logs under apt-history.log

Message 13 of 15
Campus
Apprentice

/apps/smbplus does not exist anymore. In the apt/history.log I could find the following entry:

Start-Date: 2015-10-05  00:38:37
Commandline: apt-get -y purge smbplus
Purge: smbplus:amd64 (1.0.3)
Error: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
End-Date: 2015-10-05  00:38:39

Looks like dpkg had a serious problem.

Message 14 of 15
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

That's a pretty generic error, unfortunately.  Purging was also probably just deleting /apps/smbplus folder as well.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements