× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Saving Microsoft Word files to ReadyNAS from MAC

ismaeljk
Tutor

Saving Microsoft Word files to ReadyNAS from MAC

I have an issue saving Microsoft Word files to the network - every other Office suite app works fine.  The only work-around is to save files locally and then move them to the ReadyNAS.

Have checked pernissions, etc, and cannot see anything out of place.  It only happens with Microsoft WORD...

Everything else works properly....

Help please.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
HearNow
Aspirant

Re: Saving Microsoft Word files to ReadyNAS from MAC

I had the same "read only" problem with MS Word on Macintosh computers saving to ReadyNAS.  I worked with MS support to resolve the problem and came up with 2 work arounds:

1.  The problem was isolated to the newest Feb 11, 2020 update to Word for the Mac (16.34).  I unistalled this version and installed a previous version (16.27).  This solved the problem allowing my Mac to open and save .docx files without going into read only mode.

2.  As a previous user responded, another solution is to save the Word files as .doc files instead of .docx.

Here is a link to the previous Mac Word update files:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/update-history-office-for-mac 

The version I used can be downloaded from:

https://officecdn.microsoft.com/pr/C1297A47-86C4-4C1F-97FA-950631F94777/MacAutoupdate/Microsoft_Word... 

I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ismaeljk

Can you post a screenshot of the error or issue you are getting when saving a .doc/.docx file?

Regards

Message 2 of 7
ismaeljk
Tutor

Attached is a screenshot.  Microsoft Word opens the document as Read Only - see yellow band information.

If I try to "Save As" to the ReadyNAS drive, it momentarily creates a temp file in the folder which disappears within a second, and it does not actually change the file name on the open document. Saving to the computer drive works, and then dragging and dropping to the ReadyNAS works well.  This only happens with Word files - no problem with other Microsoft Office files...

Message 3 of 7
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ismaeljk

This usually happen when opening a file on a Network drive. You may want to check this article. This shows how you can change the behavior when opening a file. Once it opens normally, you will not have to drag and drop the saved file from your local drive.

This can happen on different office suite I guess.

HTH

Regards

Message 4 of 7
ismaeljk
Tutor

Thanks Marc,

I looked into the web page you suggest, but could not find any of the options you mention...  However, I did try saving the file as a Word 97-2004 (.doc extension instead of .docx) and this has worked (¿!?)

Until I find another way to correct this, maybe we will work with .doc documents...

Message 5 of 7
HearNow
Aspirant

I had the same "read only" problem with MS Word on Macintosh computers saving to ReadyNAS.  I worked with MS support to resolve the problem and came up with 2 work arounds:

1.  The problem was isolated to the newest Feb 11, 2020 update to Word for the Mac (16.34).  I unistalled this version and installed a previous version (16.27).  This solved the problem allowing my Mac to open and save .docx files without going into read only mode.

2.  As a previous user responded, another solution is to save the Word files as .doc files instead of .docx.

Here is a link to the previous Mac Word update files:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/update-history-office-for-mac 

The version I used can be downloaded from:

https://officecdn.microsoft.com/pr/C1297A47-86C4-4C1F-97FA-950631F94777/MacAutoupdate/Microsoft_Word... 

I hope this helps.

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@HearNow wrote:

I had the same "read only" problem with MS Word on Macintosh computers saving to ReadyNAS.  I worked with MS support to resolve the problem ...

Thx for sharing this.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements