× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Set up LAG from readynas 3138 to netgear GC752X

charliejohn
Aspirant

Set up LAG from readynas 3138 to netgear GC752X

This should be simple but its not working out like it should.

I want to increase bandwidth between a Dell R530 to the readynas 3138.

I have large files that need to be backed up from the R530 to the 3138.

I have a readyNas 3138 that is LAG to a netgear GC752X.

The GC752X has a 10GB fiber to a Dell R530 server with a 10GB nic card in it.

The R530 windows 2019 server shows the network card as 10.0gb speed.

The readynas has 4 ports set to BOND, and teaming mode is LACP, and set to layer 2+3.

The GC752X has 4 ports set to LAG and the lag type is LACP, ports 1,3,5,7

Four network cable come from the 3138 and connect to the GC752X switch, ports 1,3,5,7

Just need to confirm what the settings should be on the switch, and the 3138.

I have done transfer speed tests, and shows less than a gig speed.

One test was done with "round robin", and it showed 1.2gb but is was one way.

The Windows 2019 server is installed on VmWare software on the Dell R530 and the network monitor showed 1.126 Mbps.when I did a file transfer.

Thank you

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Set up LAG from readynas 3138 to netgear GC752X

Bonding is more effective when dealing with lots of simultaneous flows going to different devices.

LACP in particular is intentionally designed so that each outbound flow can be carried by one of the links in the LAG.  The layer 2+3 setting just maps the flow to a particular NIC in the NAS, so that the entire outbound flow (NAS->Switch) is sent on that NIC.

The switch has its own algorithm for doing this mapping in the reverse (Switch->NAS) direction. This mapping often isn't configurable in Netgear switches, and doesn't need to be matched to the NAS setting.

Generally static LAGs work the same way - each flow is mapped to a single NIC in the outbound direction.  Round Robin in the NAS is the one exception.  That only works one-way since the switch doesn't have a comparable setting.

I don't think there is much you can do here to speed up a single flow between one source and one destination.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Bonding is more effective when dealing with lots of simultaneous flows going to different devices.

LACP in particular is intentionally designed so that each outbound flow can be carried by one of the links in the LAG.  The layer 2+3 setting just maps the flow to a particular NIC in the NAS, so that the entire outbound flow (NAS->Switch) is sent on that NIC.

The switch has its own algorithm for doing this mapping in the reverse (Switch->NAS) direction. This mapping often isn't configurable in Netgear switches, and doesn't need to be matched to the NAS setting.

Generally static LAGs work the same way - each flow is mapped to a single NIC in the outbound direction.  Round Robin in the NAS is the one exception.  That only works one-way since the switch doesn't have a comparable setting.

I don't think there is much you can do here to speed up a single flow between one source and one destination.

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

It is a shame Netgear didn't equip the 1U NAS with a PCI slot.  The 2U ones do (at least I think all do, I've never seen a 3312 or 4312) and any Intel X520/X530/X540 10GB ethernet card is just plug-and-play with ReadyNAS OS.  Ones based on other chips may be as well, but I know those are.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements