× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Showing .tmp files in ReandyNAS 424

Ashu
Aspirant

Showing .tmp files in ReandyNAS 424

Hello,

I have upgraded version 6.10.3 and after that there are files generating with extension *.tmp I am attaching screenshot as well.

Please help.

Thanks

Ashu

Model: RN424|ReadyNAS 424 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 4-Bay
Message 1 of 28
StephenB
Guru

Re: Showing .tmp files in ReandyNAS 424

Are you seeing them in a share? 

How large are they?

Are you seeing more of them over time?

Message 2 of 28
Ashu
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

How large are they?

Yes on Shared folders

not sure about size I will ask user.

Yes

Message 3 of 28
StephenB
Guru

@Ashu wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

How large are they?

Yes on Shared folders

Yes

It is unlikely that they are being created by the NAS.  More likely they are coming from one of the user's PCs.

They could temporarily set the network access on the affected shares to "read-only" and reboot the NAS.  If the NAS is generating them, then they will likely continue to show up.  But if they are coming from a user PC, they won't.

Turning on the auditing for a brief period might also give a clue on where they are coming from.

Message 4 of 28
Ashu
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@Ashu wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

How large are they?

Yes on Shared folders

Yes

It is unlikely that they are being created by the NAS.  More likely they are coming from one of the user's PCs.

They could temporarily set the network access on the affected shares to "read-only" and reboot the NAS.  If the NAS is generating them, then they will likely continue to show up.  But if they are coming from a user PC, they won't.

Turning on the auditing for a brief period might also give a clue on where they are coming from.

I have already on the auditing before few weeks, How to check that can we see in logs?

Message 5 of 28
StephenB
Guru

@Ashu wrote:

I have already on the auditing before few weeks, How to check that can we see in logs?

Well, look in the audit logs and see if you see anything unusual after the firmware update.

Message 6 of 28
Ashu
Aspirant

@Ashu wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

How large are they?

Yes on Shared folders

Yes

Sizes are randomly not fix. 159 kb 132 kb 25 kb  etc,

Message 7 of 28
StephenB
Guru

FWIW, I think they are coming from a user PC, and not the NAS itself.

One reason is that I'm not seeing any other reports of this here, and also am not seeing these files on my own ReadyNAS.

Message 8 of 28
Ashu
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

FWIW, I think they are coming from a user PC, and not the NAS itself.

One reason is that I'm not seeing any other reports of this here, and also am not seeing these files on my own ReadyNAS.

Ok We are using Autodesk files from NAS device would it create Temp files?
Message 9 of 28
StephenB
Guru

@Ashu wrote:

That's not an application I use, but a quick googling says that it does.

I think there is supposed to be a way to configure the temporary folder where those files are put.  Ideally they wouldn't be on the NAS, but on a temp folder on the PC.

Message 10 of 28
Ashu
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@Ashu wrote:

I think there is supposed to be a way to configure the temporary folder where those files are put.  Ideally they wouldn't be on the NAS, but on a temp folder on the PC.

Ok so in Audesk Application there is option to configure it?

Message 11 of 28
StephenB
Guru

@Ashu wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

@Ashu wrote:

That's what I googled.  You can of course contact AutoDesk.

Message 12 of 28
Ashu
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@Ashu wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

@Ashu wrote:

That's what I googled.  You can of course contact AutoDesk.

It's not only Autocad but the some folders are which not using by the Autocad and there also tmp files generated. . Everytime you work on a file and you click on the save button, it pops up the “.tmp” in the folder. If you click the save button 50 times, 50 of these things pop up.

Message 13 of 28
StephenB
Guru

@Ashu wrote:

Everytime you work on a file and you click on the save button, it pops up the “.tmp” in the folder. If you click the save button 50 times, 50 of these things pop up.

The NAS doesn't make these files on it's own. What applications are you using that do this?

Message 14 of 28
Sandshark
Sensei

It sounds like that's somethjng that's supposed to be deleted after the save, but is not.  Most proigrams don't actually save over an old file, they write a new one then delete the old one   In that process, one of the files might be named with a .tmp extension at some point.  I'm not sure how you could get permission to write a new file but not delete an old one, but perhaps resetting share permissions will help.  If that's not it, then maybe some other user or application is locking the file.

Message 15 of 28
Ashu
Aspirant

Microsoft Office application. When opening Word or excel file and click on save after 50 to 60 seconds it create TMP file.

Message 16 of 28
StephenB
Guru

@Ashu wrote:

Microsoft Office application. When opening Word or excel file and click on save after 50 to 60 seconds it create TMP file.

Office applications create these files by design, but they are supposed to delete them when the application is closed.

How many user PCs are not deleting the temp files after they exit the application?

Is this office 365 or an older version?

Message 17 of 28
Ashu
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@Ashu wrote:

Office applications create these files by design, but they are supposed to delete them when the application is closed.

How many user PCs are not deleting the temp files after they exit the application?

Is this office 365 or an older version?

Most of users and it's office365 version.

Message 18 of 28
StephenB
Guru

@Ashu wrote:

Again, it's normal to see the tmp files when Office has the files open.  If users are simply leaving the files open in Office, then the tmp files will stay on the NAS.  If Office crashes, or otherwise terminated abnormally the tmp files will be left behind, and you'll need to manually delete them from time to time. 

In order to see if something is wrong, you need to first exit Office and then check if the file is deleted.

If that isn't happening, then resetting the file access permissions on the share is probably the next step.  Go into the share settings and navigate to the "file access" page.  If "grant rename and delete privileges..." isn't checked, then check it.  Then click on the reset control on the left of the page (even if "grant rename" was already checked).

If that doesn't resolve it, you probably should contact Microsoft support (as it is an Office issue). 

Message 19 of 28
Ashu
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@Ashu wrote:

Again, it's normal to see the tmp files when Office has the files open.  If users are simply leaving the files open in Office, then the tmp files will stay on the NAS.  If Office crashes, or otherwise terminated abnormally the tmp files will be left behind, and you'll need to manually delete them from time to time. 

In order to see if something is wrong, you need to first exit Office and then check if the file is deleted.

If that isn't happening, then resetting the file access permissions on the share is probably the next step.  Go into the share settings and navigate to the "file access" page.  If "grant rename and delete privileges..." isn't checked, then check it.  Then click on the reset control on the left of the page (even if "grant rename" was already checked).

If that doesn't resolve it, you probably should contact Microsoft support (as it is an Office issue). 

I don't think it microsoft issue because it happens only when work from NAS shared folders, in local folder no any tmp file is creating.

Message 20 of 28
StephenB
Guru

@Ashu wrote:

I don't think it microsoft issue because it happens only when work from NAS shared folders, in local folder no any tmp file is creating.

Office is creating those files - not the NAS.  The files are often hidden - but they are in the local folders too.

If you google for this, you'll find a lot of folks complaining about tmp files with Microsoft Office, going back at least 10-15 years.  That includes more recent posts reporting this with Office365. In some cases, those reports are with network folders, in other cases they aren't. Unfortunately there isn't much posted about how to solve the issue.

One of many, many hits: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/office-2016-creating-visible-tmp-files-for-ev...

But try resetting the file access for the share next.

Message 21 of 28
Ashu
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@Ashu wrote:

Office is creating those files - not the NAS.  The files are often hidden - but they are in the local folders too.

If you google for this, you'll find a lot of folks complaining about tmp files with Microsoft Office, going back at least 10-15 years.  That includes more recent posts reporting this with Office365. In some cases, those reports are with network folders, in other cases they aren't. Unfortunately there isn't much posted about how to solve the issue.

One of many, many hits: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/office-2016-creating-visible-tmp-files-for-ev...

But try resetting the file access for the share next.

Ok Thanks for all your responses I have seen this URL already but there is no solution. I have already did uninstall and install office again but same issue. Is there option in NAS to hide tmp file?

Message 22 of 28
StephenB
Guru

@Ashu wrote: Is there option in NAS to hide tmp file?

No automatic way.  It's probably just as effective to simply delete them (perhaps with a script off hours).

Message 23 of 28
Sandshark
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:

@Ashu wrote: Is there option in NAS to hide tmp file?

No automatic way.  It's probably just as effective to simply delete them (perhaps with a script off hours).

And you probably don't want them to be hidden.  They'll still build up, but you won't realize it.

Message 24 of 28
drc-ravi
Aspirant

@StephenB - I can confirm that - *.TMP files are getting created by the NAS - as I am having the exact problem on RN312. It is being accessed by around 15 client PC's (some Win 10 and some Win 7) and all using different shares/folders. The *.TMP files are popping up EVERYWHERE!! I would really appreciate it if you or anyone can highlight - Why they are created in the first place OR which setting in the NAS is triggering the creation of these *.TMP files. And file size is ranging from 1KB to around 40KB. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my post and hopefully provide a solution. Thanks again.

Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements