× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SoftOff by WhoCares no longer works with NV+ running 4.1.16

tominwi
Luminary

SoftOff by WhoCares no longer works with NV+ running 4.1.16

I recently upgraded from 4.1.9 to .16 and the add-on from WhoCares that put a "Soft Off" button next to the NV+ top-right of Frontview is no long there and no longer works. I can't either Remove it nor does a reinstall have any effect.

The purpose of SoftOff, for me who only runs the NV+ by schedule for a couple hours a day, is to easily return the ReadyNAS to "sleeping awaiting next restart" state. The only other way I have found to do this is via SSH to issue this command:

/frontview/bin/autopoweroff &> /dev/null

Does anyone here know what, in the various updates to RAIDiator since 4.1.9, might be the cause for the add-on to stop working? Alternatively, does anyone know how to contact WhoCares who has not appeared on these boards since last May?

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
tominwi
Luminary

Re: SoftOff by WhoCares no longer works with NV+ running 4.1.16

Oh, my goodness. I just looked at Frontview, the NV+ running more today Monday because I normally back the NV+ up to an external drive on Mondays, and there is the SoftOff button from WhoCares.

I can only guess that the reason I'd not seen the SoftOff button in Frontview since updating to 4.1.16 must have something to do with Firefox caching or some such.

Apologies to everyone for wasting bandwidth. I will mark this as Answered if I can.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@tominwi wrote:

Alternatively, does anyone know how to contact WhoCares who has not appeared on these boards since last May?

You should be able to contact @WhoCares through www.rnxtras.com

It's not an add-on he currently offers, but he still might have some advice.

Message 2 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

It's been forever since I ran an NV+, but are you sure that's still necessary after the update?  Maybe it just became moot because the NAS will now power on by schedule if powered off on command.

Message 3 of 9
tominwi
Luminary

Not sure what you mean Sandshark but I see no way (once I have turned On my NV+ with the Power button from its normal sleeping/scheduledOff state), to return the NV+ to its sleep state. No commands in Frontview nor (to my knowledge) any change to the hardware power pushbutton to send it back to Sleep. If I've turned ON the NV+ during the day it will stay ON overnight until the next morning's Off schedule is executed.

Thanks StephenB I will reach-out to WhoCares. Hmmm, no the link you gave gets me to a Mattermost login page... Oh well, if WhoCares has not been here since 2015 he likely is out of the ReadyNAS mindset completely huh.

Smiley Surprised

Message 4 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@tominwi wrote:

Thanks StephenB I will reach-out to WhoCares. Hmmm, no the link you gave gets me to a Mattermost login page... Oh well, if WhoCares has not been here since 2015 he likely is out of the ReadyNAS mindset completely huh.

https://rnxtras.com/ should get you to his own site where he provides ReadyNAS apps for a small fee.

@tominwi wrote:

If I've turned ON the NV+ during the day it will stay ON overnight until the next morning's Off schedule is executed.

Well, you can use system->shutdown in Frontview.

Message 5 of 9
tominwi
Luminary

But Shutdown shuts-down the NAS in such a way that only a manual buttonpress will power it on again. I want the scheduler to continue to control it.

My eyes seem to be failing me, I had surfed mxtras.com!!! Arrgh! Duh!

Smiley Frustrated

Message 6 of 9
tominwi
Luminary

Oh, my goodness. I just looked at Frontview, the NV+ running more today Monday because I normally back the NV+ up to an external drive on Mondays, and there is the SoftOff button from WhoCares.

I can only guess that the reason I'd not seen the SoftOff button in Frontview since updating to 4.1.16 must have something to do with Firefox caching or some such.

Apologies to everyone for wasting bandwidth. I will mark this as Answered if I can.

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@tominwi wrote:

But Shutdown shuts-down the NAS in such a way that only a manual buttonpress will power it on again. 

That's not the case with my NV+ and Duo v1.  I also use a power schedule, and I've always just shut it down using the normal controls.

Even though your main issue is solved now,  you might retest the normal shutdown control (possibly it's old behavior that was changed  by firmware updates later on)

Message 8 of 9
tominwi
Luminary

I will surely try that next time it's up. I can only say that way-back-when on the old board when I brought-up the question, WhoCares jumped in and said "I can make a button for you" and...well I will surely try shutting-down using the normal control next time.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements