× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Sonarr on ReadyNAS 204

ravx25
Tutor

Sonarr on ReadyNAS 204

Hi,

I've been looking around trying to figure out how to get Sonarr/NZBDrone installed on my ReadyNAS 204.  There are some instructions on the Sonarr website, but they look pretty intimidating and the one thread I found where someone used it, that user got repository issues.  I can't believe there isn't an add on for this as it's getting pretty popular since Sickbeard isn't being developed any longer.  I don't like Sickrage, plus it's giving me errors trying to get into some of my added shows and I don't know how to fix the error.

Message 1 of 9
Mhynlo
Luminary

I have only breifly looked at Sonarr. It should be something that can be made. It would be running on mono, so I would suspect that would be the main item to slow down the possible app (compared to SickRage).

What were the errors you were getting on SickRage? (That app already exists.)

Message 2 of 9
ravx25
Tutor

That would be great if a Sonarr app could be developed.

I'll have to install Sickrage again to get the errors (their consistent even after an uninstall/reinstall). I'll get those tonight when I get back to the house.

Thank you.
Message 3 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I also wanted to use Sonarr on my ReadyNAS 516, but has issues trying to install it and so I'm using SickRage which does work, but I just don't like it over Sonarr that I was using on my Windows PC now for about a year or so having moved from Sickbeard.   Why is there not a nice easy Installer for this like SickRage?   I know it can be done and am quite surprized it hasn't yet.    

Until then, I'll continue to use SickRage, along with NZBGet and PLEX.  Nice to get it all off of my power hungry desktop.  Use it what I really built the system for, Gaming.

Message 4 of 9
Bogus
Tutor

Mhynlo, were you able to figure out if it's possible? I guess it is, but the question is, can and will you build it? 😄

Cheers,

Erwin

Message 5 of 9
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

I'm running Sonarr on my ReadyNAS 516.  It's using MONO to run, so it's more of a CPU hog then say SickRage.  I've been using SickRage also trying to get Sonarr to run and then run right and bootup when my NAS starts up.

As someone who is not a Linux person, which is what the ReadyNAS is running, it can be intemidating.  Installing vim, and how the hell do you save the file after editing.  I don't know which is why Google is your friend and I had to do a lot of Googling to get answers I needed.  You can see the end results here.  This is what I get going to System/Status.

About

Version  2.0.0.4146 Mono Version  4.2.1 (Debian 4.2.1.102+dfsg2-6) AppData directory  /home/admin/.config/NzbDrone Startup directory  /opt/NzbDrone

It would be nice if I could just install this like any DEB file like the other app's and turn it on/off with a switch like the other apps, but I have no idea how to create something like that.  

You need to follow the Directions here for the Linux Debian install.  That's what the readyNAS is running!!!

https://github.com/Sonarr/Sonarr/wiki/Installation

I'm using a program on my Windows computer called SmartTTY.  I use this to gain access to my ReadyNAS 516.  If your're not carfull you can screw things up!!!   This gives you a terminal window into your ReadyNAS.  You'll more then likey have to change some settings on your ReadyNAS to allow you to do this.  I log in using admin.   Once you have gained access to your NAS this way, then follow the directions.  I find it simple to Cut in the Windows the line to do, and then paste it into SmartTTY. If you just hit return, you'll get a ^m for whatever reason, just delete that and hit return again, or hit the space bar, then delete back and hit return and it'll work.

Just go step by step.  Once you get to the last part of starting Sonarr, go into your browser and see if you can gain access.  If you just close SmartTTY, that'll kill Sonarr so leave it running.   Make sure Sonarr is working at that point.  When you go to install the Script so it'll autostart on it's own, that is more of a hassle I think.  Stop Sonarr, then you want to install VIM, Go Google and find where to download and how.   You want to use this script here.

http://nzbdrone.readthedocs.io/Autostart-on-Debian/

Again because the ReadyNAS is using the Debian version of Linux.  If you figured out how to get vim installed, which is just a text editor for Linux,  follow the directions. onthat link.  Create the nzbdrone script. hit e to edit, You want to cut that whole script out, usinf CTRL C to cut after you highlight, then go back to vim on use the top bar of the program and then the paste command and paste it all in.  If you just do CTRL P, it won't paste everything.  The only thing I had to change was the #USER. It defaults as Run_As=nzbdrone.  I changed it to Run_As=admin.

If you take your time and follow step by step.  If you don't kno how to do something, use Google and find the answer.  Again, I'm no Linux expert by a long shot.  I'm a Windows person.    The #1 thing is getting SONARR running and setup first!!!  Some use PuTTY, I like SmartTTY better as it worked better to auto log me in and for cutting and pasting.  You nead to turn on SSH and set that up to work with it on your ReadyNAS.  This part can be a bit tricky to get working.  How well this program well run on the ReadyNAS 204?  SickRage is still being worked on.  I've gotten updates.  Click the link simple to update.   It's simple to install on a ReadyNAS.  Takes up less resources.  I don't like it has much.  It sometimes has issues without failing to download some files.  It's not as simple to see what download last week and what failed for example.  I don't like it as much as Sonarr, but it has it's positives also.  

If there was a simple Sonarr.deb file you could grab and just install like the other app's, I'd say jump on it and use Sonarr.  But there isn't.  It's a hassle and has taken me hours to get working because I'm learning as I'm going.  SickRage does work pretty good.  It's not as pretty, but it does some things that Sonarr doesn't.   Good luck!!!

Message 6 of 9
Mhynlo
Luminary

@JBDragon1 Thanks for your post.

All the points you have made I fully agree. Mono is not a very pretty thing. Even the instructions Sonarr provided is kind of scary "Installing: mono-devel". The install size would be close to 250MB, so the size little hefty for the root volume of the ReadyNAS.

I could help get the init scripts translated to systemd, but the more time consuming part is finding a smaller mono installer for Sonarr.

(I don't that would optimize the cpu performance of the program running in mono.)

Message 7 of 9
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

What is the size of a root volume on a readynas?  I mean besides having Sonarr installed and running, I still have SickRage installed though currently turned off, along with NZBGet, CouchPotato, PLEX, and PlexPl.  So I assume they are also all taking up space on the root volume.

Cutting out parts of MONO not needed may save some space but I don't think would help much performance wise.  I also installed vim and a couple other things in the programs.   Again, I'm no Linux expert.  Google is your friend, you could say.  I persnally don't think Sonarr is the program to use on a slower 204 ReadyNAS.   I was running everything on my high end Windows computer, and a i7 intel processor has no problem.  Moving to Windows 10, Media Center went away which I was using as a cable cutter and moved to a TIVO setup.  Since I had offloaded that task from my PC and it needing to be on 24/7 for that why not off load the other things.  Getting myself a used ReadyNas 516 for half the cost of a new one to replace my old, slow, junk ReadyNas NV+ V2 I used to have my Media files on.  With this faster NAS with the i3 processor, it has no problem running these programs and being able to transcode a couple 1080P streams at once all on it's own.  Now I can turn my PC off as it is power hungrey.  

I just don't think any NAS using ARM has the performace needed YET!!!  It's getting there.  I think running SickRage on it would be fine.  If you're trying to offload the app from your PC.  It's not just Sonarr or SickBeard you need but software to download the files.  I use NZBGet.   I used to use SabNZB.  I like NZBGet better and that's also easy enough to run on a ReadyNAS.  But that's at least 2 programs you're now running on it.  Is PLEX a 3rd?  Without Transcoding on the fly, it limits what PLEX can really do.    Most of my stuff is in 1080P.  Which on my TV's I can play locally at 1080P, or Direct Play.  If I stream over the Internet, or a friend streams one of my files, it's downgraded to a lower 720P format to use less Bandwidth as my Upload bandwidth is much lower then Download.  So PLEX would be on the fly transcoding the file from 1080P to 720P.   Most all ARM processors just don't have the processing power.    If all you're doing is Direct Play, having PLEX on the system may be ok for you.   Sonarr with MONO is more CPU hungry.  Pro's and Con's with everything.  It takes a lot of time and effort.  Then again it's a learning experiance.  It was for me.  I like learning and figuring things out.    My time is also limited.  

I really wanted to let it be known that it CAN work!!!  That I have Sonarr running on my Netgear ReadyNAS 516.  It's NOT simple unless you're a Linux expert.  But with time and effort, a noobie like me with Linux can still manage to do it.   Hopefully some of the pointers above will help a few people.  It's much more then I had.

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@JBDragon1 wrote:

What is the size of a root volume on a readynas?  I mean besides having Sonarr installed and running, I still have SickRage installed though currently turned off, along with NZBGet, CouchPotato, PLEX, and PlexPl.  So I assume they are also all taking up space on the root volume.

The OS partition on an OS6 NAS is only 4 GB, so you do need to be careful.

There is a dedicated apps folder ( /apps) that is actually on the data volume (it is the same as /data/.apps)  It is good practice to put everything you can in there (and ensure that the NAS won't crash if the folder is missing for some reason).

@JBDragon1 wrote:

Is PLEX a 3rd?  Without Transcoding on the fly, it limits what PLEX can really do. ...   If all you're doing is Direct Play, having PLEX on the system may be ok for you.   Sonarr with MONO is more CPU hungry.  

The distributed plex app is set up to do direct-play only on the RN10x and the RN20x  It will do on-the-fly transcoding on the RN21x.

I agree that limits what it do.  I keep the media on my NAS, but run the plex server on a pc.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements