× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Sparc platform development envrionment using Qemu

mfe_
Tutor

airwofl wrote:
Don't worry - got it working on Windows in the end. Needed the openbios-sparc32 compiled for Windows.

You can get it from the QEMU website under the Windows download page - look for the SPARC binary.

hi,

it seems that the qemu website changed. I cant find the openbios-sparc32 windows binary. It seems that it was removed. Can plz someone upload it?

greetings
Message 26 of 37
airwofl
Aspirant

Message 27 of 37
kiwi1969
Aspirant

The QEMU image is not based on RAIDiator, so you can't upgrade the QEMU image to 4.1.7. It is just a Sparc emulated Debian Linux, that can be used to compile code to run on the ReadyNAS.

So, if I compile something on the QEMU virtual machine, is the resulting object binary compatible with the NV+ ?
ie Can I just copy and run, or do we have to recompile the source on the NV+ ?

What OS is actually running on the NV+ ?
Message 28 of 37
kayjaywt
Aspirant

Hi Everyone,
Could someone please post a working openbios-sparc32 file for my dev environment below:

Ubuntu on x86-64 - 11.04.

I'm having real trouble finding one that works...

Thanks!
Message 29 of 37
Infinite
Aspirant

Hmm... I'm running the images with the with "Q" ( the Mac qemu-Port ) and after starting apache and hitting HTTP the CPU usage spikes so bad that Chrome times out over an over again... I am trying to run Q on a MacBook Pro, but's I'm surprised it's this slow.

Also Frontview is empty?

Is this expected? Do I need to boot up some other services? Or is this image really just for building other stuff not emulating the full ReadyNAS?

-Thx
Message 30 of 37
Hustep
Aspirant

kayjaywt wrote:
Hi Everyone,
Could someone please post a working openbios-sparc32 file for my dev environment below:

Ubuntu on x86-64 - 11.04.

I'm having real trouble finding one that works...

Thanks!

You are not alone in that. Guys, suggest something if there is. Grateful!
Message 31 of 37
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Developers running Windows 7 may wish to take a look at this video by @syke:

Message 32 of 37
matt_hargett
Tutor

I can do another one for recent versions of Linux/MacOS if need be, but this one is detailed enough that users of other platforms should be able to translate the steps.

I hope this helps, please leave feedback and thumbs it up. If anyone is in the giving mood after watching, please buy some of my band's songs @ http://themakingofthemakingof.com 🙂
Message 33 of 37
mfe_
Tutor

Hello,

I tried to run qemu under windows7 by using the image. But when I enter the command as in the video posted nothing happens. As you said, there will no error be displayed I have no idea what I did wrong.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Message 34 of 37
arie0510
Aspirant

@fme_: Try "ifname" instead of "iframe"
Message 35 of 37
optimus1
Aspirant

Great video, I'm up and running with the Qemu dev env. Now to have a crack at getting bluetooth support working...
Message 36 of 37
mfe_
Tutor

So, the past days I got time to try this qemu thing again, and now its working! 🙂 Thanks matt_hargett . Is there also a way to access the webinterface of the nas? Entering the IP Adress of the qemu results into a 404 error. (running it on windows7 with enabled iis)

EDIT:

You have to start the service by your self. /etc/init.d/frontview start

and

passwd admin
Enter new UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
Message 37 of 37
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements