× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Specifying type of ReadyNAS OS on VirtualBox installation

alfa147x
Aspirant

Specifying type of ReadyNAS OS on VirtualBox installation

I've been able to successfully get a ReadyNAS OS running on VirtualBox. My LAN party group is looking to test a few things before installing them on our ReadyNAS Pro 4 and a Ultra 4 Plus. When setting up these VirtualBox installations how can I choose which NAS configuration it installs?
I'm looking to setup a VM to mimic both.

Thanks,
Alfa
Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Specifying type of ReadyNAS OS on VirtualBox installatio

ReadyNAS OS 6 has the same feature set on all hardware that supports a feature. The Pro 4 and the Ultra 4 Plus share the same hardware as each other so installing it on one of those units you'd find out how it works on them all.

The VM is mainly useful for developers and those looking to experiment with doing things e.g. via SSH, or simply to do some basic testing of an intended configuration before deploying on real hardware.
Message 2 of 5
alfa147x
Aspirant

Hmm. That makes sense but for the sake of testing;
Is there a config that differentiates the two that can be customized to determine which image type you are deploying?

Thanks again,
Alfa
Message 3 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

No.

The VM is good for testing OS6 x86_64 generally. There isn't anything that needs to be customised for it.

Also as I mentioned running OS6 on the U4P is no different to running it on the Pro 4.
Message 4 of 5
alfa147x
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
No.

The VM is good for testing OS6 x86_64 generally. There isn't anything that needs to be customised for it.

Also as I mentioned running OS6 on the U4P is no different to running it on the Pro 4.

That's for the help, mdgm. Just to clarify, when we update to OS6 the Pro features will be available on the U4P?

nvm. Confirmed it my self.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements