× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to access PLEX media files - Permission issue

herbg
Aspirant

Unable to access PLEX media files - Permission issue

I'm trying to compress or ZIP plexmedia files from the NAS so that they can be moved to a new server.  However, the operation continues to fail due to "permissions" errors, saying I don't have permission to create a copy or compressed file.

See the location of the file below (as viewed from my Windows PC).

Is there a setting in the NAS that I have overlooked to permit me to do this?  I've never had problems accessing, reading, writing, copying, or deleting file from the NAS before.

Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Unable to access PLEX media files - Permission issue

Message 20 of 20

All Replies
herbg
Aspirant

Sorry, wrong file attached.  Here is the correct one.

Message 2 of 20
StephenB
Guru

I think the problem is that it is owned by root (and is in the root group).

It might be easier (and faster) to use ssh for this:

# zip -r plexmediaserver.zip plexmediaserver

Then change the owner/group and permissions of final zip file.

Message 3 of 20
herbg
Aspirant

That sounds good but I'm a total novice when it comes to Linux.  Can you explain how to do this with "SSH" ... whatever that is?

Thank you,
Herb...

Message 4 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@herbg wrote:

That sounds good but I'm a total novice when it comes to Linux.  Can you explain how to do this with "SSH" ... whatever that is?

You do need to be careful, as you can do damage if you type the wrong thing.

You'd start by enabling ssh on the system->settings->services page.

Then enter "ssh root@nas-ip-address" in your windows search bar (using the real NAS IP address).

Use root for the user name, and the NAS admin password.

That will give you the command line interface to the NAS (similar to the CMD interface in windows).

This sequence should work:

cd /data/.apps
zip -r plexmediaserver.zip plexmediaserver
chmod 666 plexmediaserver.zip

That should let you copy the zip file to your PC from Windows (or move it, delete it, etc).  Post a screen shot if you have problems with this.

Message 5 of 20
herbg
Aspirant

When I type, 'ssh root@192.168.5.168' (no quotations), from WIN10 search bar, nothing happens.  I see a very quick box open and close.  No CMD interface opens up.

Message 6 of 20
herbg
Aspirant

I forgot to "Enable Password Authentication" when I started the SSH service.  Now when I type  'ssh root@192.168.5.168' from the search field, I am prompted for a password but the cursor just blinks and I am unable to type in characters (using the NAS "admin" password).

Sorry for these basic questions but I am a novice.  See screenshot below.

2020-10-19_17-22-18.jpg

Message 7 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@herbg wrote:

I forgot to "Enable Password Authentication" when I started the SSH service.  Now when I type  'ssh root@192.168.5.168' from the search field, I am prompted for a password but the cursor just blinks and I am unable to type in characters (using the NAS "admin" password).

It looks like it is working.  Did you position your mouse so it is inside the ssh window?

Message 8 of 20
herbg
Aspirant

Yes, of course, several times.  I tried CTRL-V to paste the password in ... didn't work.  Then, tried manually typing it but the cursor stays at the password, doesn't move, just blinks???

Message 9 of 20
StephenB
Guru

It's just like any other window - you need to gain focus by moving the mouse into the window and clicking.

You won't see the password as you type it (and of course press enter after you've typed it).

Ctrl-V won't work, you do need to type it.

Message 10 of 20
herbg
Aspirant

Success!!  I carefully typed the very long password I have and it worked.  I followed your instructions to the letter and, after quite some time,
a zip file of the plexmediaserver folder was created.   I am now moving it off the NAS and onto the new server!

Thanks for your excellent help!

Message 11 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@herbg wrote:

Success!!  

Great!

Message 12 of 20
herbg
Aspirant

One more question ...

I've moved the plexmediaserver.zip file to the destination folder.  However, I'm having some difficulty unzipping the file.
I point the cursor to the file, right-click, and select "Extract All".

The "Extract Compressed (Zipped) Folders" dialogue box pops up, I select the destination folder
and click the "Extract" button.

Then, the dialogue box kinda stays still ... looking like nothing is happening ... with a circle spinning when I point the cursor over the box.  When I try to click, I see the (Not Responding) message.

So, I patiently wait ... not sure if it's freezing or taking a very long time to extract the zipped folder.

The folder is about 6.8GB and it took several minutes to zip it up, using your SSH instructions.

Any idea what might be happening?

Message 13 of 20
herbg
Aspirant

... and after an hour of circle scrolling, nothing happened. 
So, I'm unable to unzip the file.

I've moved the file to a USB drive (off the destination folder) and will see if I have
success unzipping it to there.

Message 14 of 20
StephenB
Guru

Of course it is a large zip file with a lot of files in it.  What are you using to do the unzip?  Personally I use 7-zip (though I haven't tried it on the zipped Plex library).

Message 15 of 20
herbg
Aspirant

I zipped the file with your instructions.  Can I unzip it using 7-Zip?  I thought it had to be zipped with 7-Zip in order to unzip it.

If not, I will give that a try.

Message 16 of 20
StephenB
Guru

7-zip supports the zip format (as many other utilities do).

Message 17 of 20
herbg
Aspirant

I will give that a try tonight!

Message 18 of 20
herbg
Aspirant

That absolutely was the trick!  7-zip was much better!  Files were successfully transferred!

Message 19 of 20
StephenB
Guru

Great.

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements