× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to access Photos II from outside my network

rclementtx
Guide

Unable to access Photos II from outside my network

Folks,
I’m confounded in terms of getting Photos II to be accessible from the Internet. My installation is as follows:

• ReadyNAS Ultra6 with latest software upgrades for Photos II and firmware
• FIOS fiber optic network service with Westell router / cable modem

When I test network connection from within the Photos II I get a failure to access Photos II error message as shown below. This seems to tell me that the router hasn’t set up a port forwarding rule.

>> OK: All connection tests from ReadyNAS Photos II to UPnP Router and photos.readynas.com site are passed.
>> OK: Hostname xxxxxxPhotos is available.
>> Error: Fail to access Photos II (http://173.71.6.xxx:8086) from internet. (error=-2). If you disabled automatic configuration of UPnP router, please make sure port 8086 is forwarded to the NAS.
>> OK: Successfully found your public IP (173.71.6.xxx).

When I go to the Port Forwarding rules on the Westell Router, it appears that the router has correctly set up a single port forwarding rule for port 8086 with:

>>Name of "ReadyNAS PhotosII"
>>Ports of "TCPAny ->8086"

The Port Forwarding rule also lists the proper IP address for the ReadyNAS.

So it sure looks like everything is in order but I can never clear the diagnostic about failure to access Photos II on the ReadyNAS.

I’ve rebooted the router and separately power cycled it. I’ve done the same on the ReadyNAS Ultra6, all to no avail.

I can never clear the diagnostic related to accessing Photos II and if I try to access my picture folder from the internet (outside of my home network), I get a time out error or a 403 error.

Can anyone offer suggestions on a fix here?
Message 1 of 9
Darth_Vader
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Unable to access Photos II from outside my network

Please try using a different router and see if it helps.

Thanks
Message 2 of 9
rclementtx
Guide

Thanks for the suggestion but this is a hard option for me since this is an integrated cable Modem / router. i'm on fiber optic coming to the house and don't know how to put a different router in line and totally bypass the Westell which is provided by the Fios service.

For the record, I tried turning the firewall off totally but got the same results. Its currently set to an intermediate level of security.

Have another option? Is this a known issue with the Westell unit?
Message 3 of 9
fizix
Aspirant

I am having nearly identically the same issue, but with a ReadyNAS Ultra 2 (Radiator 4.2.19). However, I am using a Netgear WNDR4000 router.

The error message is the same as the original user's. (of course my IP address is different) My ISP is Charter.

When I use an online IP port scan utility it reports that port 8086 is open. I have confirmed that the router shows the port is forwarded to the correct IP address (manually set) of the ReadyNAS on my local network (behind the router).

I would really like to get this to work. Any help is appreciated.

*** EDIT ***
I have not gotten rid or the error mentioned, but after several power recycles of router and ReadyNAS it appears to be working from outside my network. I don't know what the error means though since it appears that it is working. If I press diagnose I still get exactly the same error, but now I can get to albums from my friend's house.
Message 4 of 9
Scouser
Aspirant

I have a ReadyNAS Pro 6 (Radiator 4.2.19) and I just installed the Photos II add on.
My Router is a Netgear WNDR4000.
I get this exact problem and I cant get past the error.

netstat -a reports:
tcp 0 0 *:8086 *:* LISTEN

I have checked in the router and I see that port 8086 is open and destined for the IP of my NAS. uPnP is turned on for auto configuration in the router and I see the IP of my NAS in the port forwarding table. I have even tried manually adding the IP/port in the port forwarding service.

Not matter what I try, rebooting the NAS, rebooting the router, removing the Photos II add on and reinstalling. I always get the same problem:
OK: All connection tests from ReadyNAS Photos II to UPnP Router and photos.readynas.com site have passed.
OK: Hostname my_nas_name is available.
Error: Fail to access Photos II (http://xx.xx.xx.xx:8086) from internet. (error=-2). If you disabled automatic configuration of UPnP router, please make sure port 8086 is forwarded to the NAS.
OK: Successfully found your public IP (xx.xx.xx.xx).

This error=-2 worries me. I presume it is the result of a system all?
ENOENT 2 /* No such file or directory */

/var/log/fronview/error.log reads:
[Sat Nov 12 14:05:25 2011] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] client denied by server configuration: /opt/photos2/index.html
[Sat Nov 12 14:36:08 2011] [warn] RSA server certificate CommonName (CN) `192.168.1.127' does NOT match server name!?
[Sat Nov 12 14:36:09 2011] [warn] RSA server certificate CommonName (CN) `192.168.1.127' does NOT match server name!?
[Sat Nov 12 15:18:26 2011] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] client denied by server configuration: /opt/photos2/index.html
[Sat Nov 12 16:48:28 2011] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] client denied by server configuration: /opt/photos2/index.html
[Sat Nov 12 18:07:30 2011] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] client denied by server configuration: /opt/photos2/index.html
[Sat Nov 12 20:11:56 2011] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] client denied by server configuration: /opt/photos2/index.html
[Sat Nov 12 21:12:53 2011] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] client denied by server configuration: /opt/photos2/index.html
[Sat Nov 12 22:17:29 2011] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] client denied by server configuration: /opt/photos2/index.htm

I have had the NAS for only two weeks and apart from the redundancy nothing else seems to want to work....including DNLA which works haphazardly.
Please help!!!
Message 5 of 9
Python73
Aspirant

I have this same issue. ReadyNAS Duo v2 on a linksys E2500 via comcast. If I turn off UPnP and forward 8086 it makes no difference, I always see this:

OK: All connection tests from ReadyNAS Photos II to UPnP Router and photos.readynas.com site have passed.
OK: Hostname my_nas_name is available.
Error: Fail to access Photos II (http://xx.xx.xx.xx:8086) from internet. (error=-2). If you disabled automatic configuration of UPnP router, please make sure port 8086 is forwarded to the NAS.
OK: Successfully found your public IP (xx.xx.xx.xx).

This thread is a couple months stale but I see no answer to the problem. Just like the thread where readynas remote utterly fails... do any of these Netgear services actually work?
Message 6 of 9
Selle
Aspirant

This might give you an answer...

http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=67706&start=45#p385773
Message 7 of 9
scoobygolfer
Aspirant

Same issue nighthawk 7000 and NAS RN212

Message 8 of 9
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello scoobygolfer,

Please create a new topic for the concern you have. This thread is too old already dead.

Regards,

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements