× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to access data (ReadyNASRNDP4000)

DLinMA
Aspirant

Unable to access data (ReadyNASRNDP4000)

1. There seems to be no model for the ReadyNAS Pro 4 (ReadyNASRNDP4000) in the model listing.

2. Since upgrading the firmware to ver RAIDiator 4.2.31, we have experienced the following issue:

Changed the IP address of the NAS, shut it down and rebooted it, SOME directories are inaccessible with the error from a Windows 10 Pro 64-bit computer:

Windows cannot access \\192.168.1.2\Workgroup\01 - Current Projects......

You do not have permission to access \\192.168.1.2\Work.......  Contact your network administrator.

The users are in a workgroup. All of the shares are based upon the workgroup name `Workgroup`. 

Guest users have no access, Workgroup members have read/write access.

Active protocols: CIFS NFS AFP

A Windows 10 and a MAC computer access and update the files

I'm looking for suggestions before either granting guest users access or enabling HTTP/S. My concern is corrupting the rights on the box.

Model: ReadyNAS-4200|ReadyNAS 4200
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Re: Unable to access data (ReadyNASRNDP4000)

This could be a windows credential problem.

Did you try changing the IP address back to what it was before?

Also, I suggest that you go into the Windows Credential Manager on the problem PC, and delete any old credentials for the NAS, and try creating a new one (using a user account on the NAS).

Message 2 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

I'm not sure what you mean by "All of the shares are based upon the workgroup name `Workgroup."  The NAS cannot have shares within shares, so I assume  Workgroup is the name of the share and you have standard directories below that and that some are accessible and some are not.

You may need to reset permissions on the share.  If you previously relied on anonymous access to the NAS, recent Windows updates have removed that, so you may also need to adjust the permissions for some shares in addition to resetting them for the current files and folders in them.

Message 3 of 9
DLinMA
Aspirant

I did remove the credentials from Windows Credentials, removed all mapped drive mappings, went to the command prompt and deleted the device's connection via the NET USE command and rebooted the computer.  I opened a browser window and entered 192.168.1.2/shares and when I logged in as any user, no shares were shown.  I believe it is because HTTP(s) isn't configured on the box.  When I tried to connect through file explorer, I could never log in using any username or password.  I tried with and without the IP address on the username line.  I created a new user with a simple password on the NAS and that account has been inaccessable. Yet, when I go through the network option through explorer or the IP address, it always links to the same user account.

Message 4 of 9
DLinMA
Aspirant

I am not familiar with this device. I tried resetting the file rights through Windows' ownership but was prevented/denied the ability to take the ownership. Can you provide clear steps that I can take to take ownership of the files and folders?  Regarding putting it back on the original network, I think we purged all of that information because the unit was put onto a new network.

Message 5 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

In the GUI, go to the share listing and click on CIFS.  Make sure the rights are what you want them to be.  The Automatically set permissions on new files and folders box should be checked and Do not allow ACL changes to be more restrictive than this is usually a good idea, too.  If you change something, click Apply.  Then go to the Advanced tab, select the two check boxes and then click Apply.  You can change the owner and group if you like, but the default nobody and nogroup should be fine.

Message 6 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@DLinMA wrote:

I opened a browser window and entered 192.168.1.2/shares and when I logged in as any user, no shares were shown.  I believe it is because HTTP(s) isn't configured on the box.  

Normally you access Frontview with https:/192.168.1.2/admin.  

HTTP(S) is running in the box, but you haven't enabled HTTP(S) as a file sharing protocol for any shares.  That's why the share list is empty.

@DLinMA wrote:

When I tried to connect through file explorer, I could never log in using any username or password.

First, make sure the SMB 1 client is still enabled in Windows (go into "turn windows features on or off").

Then reset the file permissions for each share in Frontview (using the procedure @Sandshark outlined).  I'd also check "grand rename and delete privileges to non-owner of files" on the advanced tab.

Next I suggest mapping the data volume using the NAS admin credentials:

net use * /delete /y
net use t: \\192.168.1.2\c /user:admin nas-admin-password

using the real admin password of course.  Note this won't work if you are still using netgear1 as the admin password - if that's the case, you'll need to change that password first.

If that works, we can then try to figure out what else might be going on with File Explorer.

Message 7 of 9
DLinMA
Aspirant

Sandshark and StephenB: THANK YOU!!!!!

Worked like a charm.  My client is extremely appreciative.  You made her day, week and year.  She was afraid she lost critical files.

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@DLinMA wrote:

Sandshark and StephenB: THANK YOU!!!!!

Worked like a charm.  My client is extremely appreciative.  You made her day, week and year.  She was afraid she lost critical files.

Great!

You might suggest that she put a proper backup plan in place.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements