× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: VPN Server 1.5 on ReadyNAS Ultra-4

JCosyn
Aspirant

VPN Server 1.5 on ReadyNAS Ultra-4

I'd like to run Poussin's vpnserver on my ReadyNAS Ultra-4 but I'm really at a loss, not being a Linux admin. I have downloaded the file vpnserver_1.5.0_all.deb but from there, I really don't know how to proceed. A search turns up a few posts about how to patch or upgrade an already-working VPN server installation, but I haven't been able to find any kind of guide with instructions on how to install it and get it running in the first place. The posts I see all assume I know I can ssh into my server as root, and I'm not entirely unfamiliar with basic user-level Linux commands, but I have no real experience with developer or admin-level work. I'm not afraid to do the work, but I don't know how to even begin.

Can anyone point me to a step-by-step guide detailing just what I have to do to get vpnserver installed and running on my ReadyNAS? 

Message 1 of 11
StephenB
Guru

What firmware are you running?

Message 2 of 11
JCosyn
Aspirant

RAIDiator 4.2.31  

I think that's the latest for the Ultra 4 device. So it tells me, at least.

Message 3 of 11
JCosyn
Aspirant

A typo on my OP: I meant to say that I can ssh into my server as root, and I do know how to use basic Linux commands (I can navigate and manipulate files, etc.). I've just never done package installations, so I kind of need a beginner-level step-by-step guide, if there is one out there somewhere.

Thanks for responding.

Message 4 of 11
StephenB
Guru

The .deb file you downloaded is for OS-6 systems (e.g., systems that run 6.x.x firmware).  So you can't install it on a 4.2.31 system.

Message 5 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

You can convert your NAS to OS6, though it is not officially supported by Netgear.  And it does entail a re-formatting of the drives, so you have to restore from backup.  The availablility of up-to-date apps is just one reason to consider it.

Message 6 of 11
JCosyn
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I will have to consider changing the OS, but obviously that isn't something to undertake lightly or without significant planning and strategy. For one thing, I'd want a good plan to roll back if necessary. So it will be a while before I'm ready to plunge into that. But I appreciate the information; at least now I know what I have to head for.

Assuming I do get my Ultra 4 running OS6, is there a set of installation instructions for vpnserver out there somewhere that would guide me through the process at that point?

Thanks again for the replies.

Message 7 of 11
StephenB
Guru

As far as VPN access goes - if you simply want remote access, you could also get a router that has the openvpn server built in.  Most nighthawks do, as well as orbi.  That would be less work than converting your ultra.

Also, you could also check out owncloud, and see if that meets your remote access needs.  If it does, you can purchase an inexpensive OwnCloud app (€2.99) for 4.2.31 here: https://rnxtras.com/addons/owncloud-9-r4x86  You'd also need DDNS for this (as you would with the VPN server).  rnxtras also has an app for DDNS (although your router might already have support for it).

@JCosyn wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I will have to consider changing the OS, but obviously that isn't something to undertake lightly or without significant planning and strategy. For one thing, I'd want a good plan to roll back if necessary.

You might also want to upgrade the memory in the ultra at the same time.

The VPN server app uses a package called SoftEther, and apparently it is not up to date.  Updating it to the current version requires some effort, and the information on that in this forum is rather dated: https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Storage-Apps-Current/How-can-I-update-SoftEther-VPN-App-to...

On the OS-6 ReadyNAS, alternatives include ReadyCloud, OwnCloud and ZeroTier.  ReadyCloud would be built-in.  

Message 8 of 11
JCosyn
Aspirant

Thanks for all the good information. That gives me options, and different directions to investigate. I appreciate your taking the time. I'm currently using a Netgear router (and an older one at that), but the Nighthawk option sounds worth looking into. OwnCloud might not really be what I'm looking for, since my primary need at this point is to be able to connect remotely to LMS running on my ReadyNAS, for music streaming offsite, rather than simple storage access. But now I at least have a couple of options to dig into. Thanks again.

Message 9 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@JCosyn wrote:

since my primary need at this point is to be able to connect remotely to LMS running on my ReadyNAS, for music streaming offsite, rather than simple storage access. 

I agree that OwnCloud isn't a good option for that. 

If you were to migrate to OS-6 you could also use Plex.  You could test that on a PC (using the ultra to host the music).  If that works for you, I'd definitely recommend upgrading the memory on the ultra if you convert it.

Message 10 of 11
JCosyn
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@JCosyn wrote:

since my primary need at this point is to be able to connect remotely to LMS running on my ReadyNAS, for music streaming offsite, rather than simple storage access. 

I agree that OwnCloud isn't a good option for that. 

If you were to migrate to OS-6 you could also use Plex.  You could test that on a PC (using the ultra to host the music).  If that works for you, I'd definitely recommend upgrading the memory on the ultra if you convert it.

Yes, the Ultra has only 1G memory, so it would undoubtedly be a good idea to upgrade. Obviously the box is getting old. But the darn thing runs so reliably, it has just never seemed necessary to get a new one. Three years ago I swapped out all four 1TB drives for 2TB, and I'm still only at about 60% usage. The thing performs so well I never even have to reboot it or do anything to it, so I have never needed to think about any upgrade. But maybe it's time. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements