× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WARNING OS X Catalina Time Machine Sept 2020 update incompatible with 6.10.3 firmware

EJBeffel3
Aspirant

WARNING OS X Catalina Time Machine Sept 2020 update incompatible with 6.10.3 firmware

After two weeks working with ReadyNAS paid support, we've confirmed that the latest OS X update to Catalina appears to be incompatible with the latest 6.10.3 firmware. I have four Mac devices: MacPro, iMacPro, MacBookPro and MacMini of various vintages. They all report that the 424 does not provide the required capabilities for a backup. Three of the four devices successfully backed up to the 424 for years before the latest Catalina update.

Support replicated the problem in their lab when they updated to the latest release of Catalina.

Thanks to Justin of tier 2 support.

Hope that ReadyNAS makes a practice of installing OS X betas and testing compatability of their Time Machine implementation in the future, before finding out from users that the firmware needs an upgrade.

Best regards, Ernie Beffel

Model: Time Machine|Backup your files on your Mac
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
btaroli
Prodigy

Re: WARNING OS X Catalina Time Machine Sept 2020 update incompatible with 6.10.3 firmware

When you say "Catalina", which update? I think 10.15.7 has gone GA now, but only just recnetly. So were you running 10.15.7 beta, or are you referring to some other update? I've had an MBP running Catalina backing up to ROS 6.10.3 for a while now.

But if this behavior is confirmed to be happening on 10.15.7 then that should be an explicit warning for anyone running 10.15.6 not to upgrade yet.

I've not pulled the trigger on my macOS update yet, so I'm curious to hear about the specifics.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: WARNING OS X Catalina Time Machine Sept 2020 update incompatible with 6.3 firmware

I think you meant 6.10.3 fimware.  Do you want that corrected in your post?

Message 2 of 7
EJBeffel3
Aspirant

Re: WARNING OS X Catalina Time Machine Sept 2020 update incompatible with 6.3 firmware

You're exactly right. 6.10.3, not 6.3. Thank you.

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: WARNING OS X Catalina Time Machine Sept 2020 update incompatible with 6.10.3 firmware

I edited the title and text in your original post.

Message 4 of 7
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@EJBeffel3

Welcome to the Community!

May I ask for the case number you had with Support? As I may be checking on a different case. The last update I got was that they didn't got the issue reproduced.

Was the case escalated already? If this is a bug then we can expect for a fix once the case has been submitted. 

Message 5 of 7
btaroli
Prodigy

When you say "Catalina", which update? I think 10.15.7 has gone GA now, but only just recnetly. So were you running 10.15.7 beta, or are you referring to some other update? I've had an MBP running Catalina backing up to ROS 6.10.3 for a while now.

But if this behavior is confirmed to be happening on 10.15.7 then that should be an explicit warning for anyone running 10.15.6 not to upgrade yet.

I've not pulled the trigger on my macOS update yet, so I'm curious to hear about the specifics.

Message 6 of 7
EJBeffel3
Aspirant

Re: *Withdrawn WARNING OS X Catalina Time Machine Sept 2020 update incompatible with 6.10.3 firmware

Unwarning from Ernie: The incompatability that I encountered turned out to be the 424 going into read only mode. There was corruption in the file structure. I had a second 424 for offsite backup. A factory reset, rebuild of Time Machines and restore of shares fixed the problem. It remains unclear what caused the file structure corruption. Northern California has had power outages and an outage or power transient may have done it. I am now successfully running Time Machine for three Macs on the restored ReadyNAS.

Thanks to support staff for confirming the file structure corruption and walking me through the rebuild. Best regards, Ernie Beffel

Model: Time Machine|Backup your files on your Mac
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements