× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Where are the photos stored?

damonledet1
Aspirant

Where are the photos stored?

When uploading photos in Photos II where are the images stored? I logged on to the c share but I can not find them.
Message 1 of 30
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

In a hidden share. Browse to /c/.RNP2

edit: RNP2 needs to be in capitals.
Message 2 of 30
damonledet1
Aspirant

Thanks!!
Message 3 of 30
tmensonides
Aspirant

Just found this...was wondering the same thing...

I don't know a ton about this stuff so how exactly would i browse to the c share...it seems to work just fine from my Mac but not my Windows 7 machine...
Message 4 of 30
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Login to CIFS (Windows File Sharing) as "admin" (the Frontview user)
Message 5 of 30
Abernus1
Aspirant

O.K I must be missing something. How do I connect to CIFS on my ReadyNAS Ultra from Windows 7? Thanks
Message 6 of 30
Abernus1
Aspirant

O.K I figured it out. By running the following command: "net use \\<NAS IP Address>\c /user:admin" without the quotes I connact to the NAS as admin, then I can use RAIDar and browse the drive and see the C: of the NAS.

I must admit it's one hell of a file path to get to the photos in .RNP2 :lol:
Message 7 of 30
tmensonides
Aspirant

Thanks Abernus...that's what I needed to know as well...
Message 8 of 30
higherdemon
Aspirant

I have all my photos on a share on my NAS. In order to use them in this application I must all import them?
I find it bizarre that I can't just say to Photos II where my photos are stored.

Now I need to import them again. So I'll end up having them twice.
I am thinking wrong or? because I don't see anyone having this problem?
Message 9 of 30
adb1
Aspirant

higherdemon wrote:
I have all my photos on a share on my NAS. In order to use them in this application I must all import them?
I find it bizarre that I can't just say to Photos II where my photos are stored.

You are right. It creates several different sized versions of the original, but it also copies the original too, sadly. Would have been nice if it could have just made a reference to the original and handle the case if the original was removed. Disk space is plentiful, but...
Message 10 of 30
sirozha
Aspirant

I would like to know if ReadyNAS Photo II is an application developed by Netgear or if this is re-branded third-party application. Also, because the use of this application for sharing photos requires that the URL is proxied by readynas.com, what assurances are there that this service will exist in 3, 5, or 10 years from now? It takes a lot of time to re-do all the photo albums currently hosted by other services, such as Shutterfly, Flickr, etc. It would be very disconcerting to learn a few years from now that the service were no longer supported since there is no functionality to share the albums using a non-Netgear URL (for example, based on your own domain or a dynamic DNS based service).
Message 11 of 30
yoh-dah
Guide

sirozha wrote:
I would like to know if ReadyNAS Photo II is an application developed by Netgear or if this is re-branded third-party application. Also, because the use of this application for sharing photos requires that the URL is proxied by readynas.com, what assurances are there that this service will exist in 3, 5, or 10 years from now? It takes a lot of time to re-do all the photo albums currently hosted by other services, such as Shutterfly, Flickr, etc. It would be very disconcerting to learn a few years from now that the service were no longer supported since there is no functionality to share the albums using a non-Netgear URL (for example, based on your own domain or a dynamic DNS based service).

Photos II is 100% developed by NETGEAR.
Message 12 of 30
tpudet_gmail_co
Aspirant

adb wrote:
higherdemon wrote:

You are right. It creates several different sized versions of the original, but it also copies the original too, sadly. Would have been nice if it could have just made a reference to the original and handle the case if the original was removed. Disk space is plentiful, but...

I'm organized the same way (all photos on a share) and I think the current photos II implementation, which not only duplicates originals but also copies them under different resolutions, is a major concern in terms of disk space usage. At the very least it should *never* duplicate originals already residing on the NAS. Would photos II authors consider doing that in the not so distant future? Cause that would definitely shift photos II from good to great album sharing facility. Thanks.
--thierry
Message 13 of 30
pvong1
Aspirant

Yoh-Dah,

Can you give us an answer if Netgear will address the issue a lot of us are having with having duplicate copies when we are already storing them on the ReadyNAS? Is this something you guys will even consider? I understand the need for different qualities and I have not problem with that but having another original is a huge hit especially when cameras are making bigger and bigger files sizes.

My wish: To see a job schedule where you can set it to run and it will just look at the assigned shared location holding the images and make the different qualities automatically without making another original. The idea of having to import from the nas to the nas is just nuts.

Thanks for consider,
Phil
Message 14 of 30
yoh-dah
Guide

Phil, we're looking into a more space-efficient solution that doesn't compromise on the potential for creating a mess if users delete their original files by accident.
Message 15 of 30
pvong1
Aspirant

Yoh-Dah

Thank you!!!! This is great to hear. I had to limit which photographer could use P2 because it was not cost effective on a per mb. Until the HDD market gets back up to speed, it's also hard to just upgrade the storage due to the high cost. I look forward to the day when I can allow all my photographers to use P2.

I look forward even more to the day when we can daisy chain a bunch of ReadyNAS on our rack like what you can do with SANs now. Then storage issues pretty much disappear forever for us.

Thanks again!
Phil
Message 16 of 30
Alef
Aspirant

Let me add my two cents.
I have no problems with Photos II making copies of my pictures. But I really suffer because of the lack of opportunity to make the folder where it stores pictures visible.
Here is the scenario: I prefer to watch my albums with mediaplayer (Popcorn Hour in my case) on my TV. It's pretty much difficult to show the player this hidden folder.
So it would be great to change the visibility and access rules in settings.
Message 17 of 30
pvong1
Aspirant

Alef wrote:
Let me add my two cents.
I have no problems with Photos II making copies of my pictures. But I really suffer because of the lack of opportunity to make the folder where it stores pictures visible.
Here is the scenario: I prefer to watch my albums with mediaplayer (Popcorn Hour in my case) on my TV. It's pretty much difficult to show the player this hidden folder.
So it would be great to change the visibility and access rules in settings.

Don't you already have your photos stored on a normal shared on the NAS? I don't think many (if any) are strictly using P2 as the main photo storage. I know I wouldn't take that chance. What we were saying is that since we already have our photos on a shared to be used like you said with streaming or other things like photo editing software, there shouldn't be another full version of the picture for P2 but P2 can and should make the lower quality images for it's need.
Message 18 of 30
martinsbootfair
Aspirant

yoh-dah, having read this thread I too am disappointed that the ReadyNas Photos 2 application is actualy making a second copy of all the photos onto my own drive. I was under the impression/misconception that the //c/rnp2 folder held a link or shortcut to the picture folders on my media/pictures area. This means that the storage I currently have on my NAS is effectively halved for every photo I make available via ReadyPhotos 2, an overhead I was not prepared for.
In my case I pay for unlimited storage on my own website and intended to use FTP to backup my NAS folders to this storage facility. It would be simpler to just map the rnp2 folder onto my website which will then double as a backup for my pictures?
Message 19 of 30
ColonelPanik
Aspirant

I would also like to know if I could just use a symbolic link to a mounted share instead of the hidden rnp2 folder. Not sure if that's possible with the way it creates multiple different res copies of pics.
Message 20 of 30
giga_dude
Aspirant

Abernus wrote:
O.K I figured it out. By running the following command: "net use \\<NAS IP Address>\c /user:admin" without the quotes I connact to the NAS as admin, then I can use RAIDar and browse the drive and see the C: of the NAS.

I must admit it's one hell of a file path to get to the photos in .RNP2 :lol:

I cant get this to work, ran the command with the correct ip from the run prompt,,,,from win7...anyone with any tips on how to access the hidden storage area
Message 21 of 30
giga_dude
Aspirant

K, got it to work on my mac but I still can't see the .RNP2 folder...
Message 22 of 30
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

In the Finder, click Go > Go To Folder and type /Volumes/c/.RNP2 and click Go
Message 23 of 30
giga_dude
Aspirant

K, thanks!
Message 24 of 30
madronemedia
Aspirant

I still need some help. I can't find the hidden.RNP2 file. I running a Mac on 10.8. I can see other hidden files, but no the .RNP2. I am currently using Photos II fine. I've tried what's written previously in this post, but I must be missing something.
Message 25 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements