× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ZeroTier no longer working on ReadyNAS

Sandshark
Sensei

ZeroTier no longer working on ReadyNAS

If you are a user of ZeroTier, you have probably noticed that it stopped working correctly on the ReadyNAS. It happened to me when I finally updated from OS6.9.3 to 6.9.5. Specifically, no ZeroTier IP address is being assigned. I've been looking into this and, unfortunately, can't give you a fix. But I can tell you it's not unique to ReadyNAS, so I hope it will be fixed soon. Other Debian users have the same issue. Some potential fixes have been suggested, and I have tried them all to no avail. If a fix does come along, it's likely that you will have to replace the existing Netgear-specific app with a generic install via SSH and lose the GUI (if you are still using that version).

My temporary fix is to manually assign a ZeroTier IP via SSH after any re-boot (I use 192.168.0.xxx for local and 192.168.192.xxx for ZeroTier).  It will retain that IP until re-boot.  I'm not sure if it has to be the same IP ZeroTier would have assigned it (mine is), but it certainly can't be the same as assigned to another device.

# ifconfig zt0 192.168.192.20 netmask 255.255.255.0

I suppose I could add a cron job to do this a minute or so after re-boot, but I'm hoping for a fix before I resort to that. But having to remote in to my brother's PC to SSH into the NAS at his place is a PITA. Fortunately, his power doesn't go down often. At the very least, I should create a PuTTY script for him to run.

Message 1 of 2
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ZeroTier no longer working on ReadyNAS

Oddly, I temporarily resurrected a Pro6 running OS 6 and ZeroTier, which I promptly upgraded to 6.9.5.  Low and behold, ZeroTier still works on it.  The investigation continues. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements