× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

hosting website

sanderslounge
Aspirant

hosting website

hi all,

i have a Ready NAS Duo as previously stated in other subjects i have posted. i am currently creating my personal website, at present this is local on my laptop, the website I am creating will have the usual blog, images gallery and hopefully video (if the NAS allows??)

Also I'm learning the very basics of PHP/AJAX (my background is mechanical engineering) so I'm no computer guru but thought i should give it a go...knowledge is power after all!!

I currently have a domain being hosted at 123-reg.co.uk. this is available to view on the internet. At present, its a one page site. i want to have my newly created website (currently on my laptop) on my NAS using the domain name at 123-reg.co.uk.

i am also using dyndns.org to connect to my NAS.

so http://myipdyndns.org allows me to connect to shares/musicbrowser/admin etc....now i want to use my purchased domain to do the same. So, www.mysite.co.uk to connect to:

website
musicbrowser
shares
admin

how do i go about this?

any help much appreciated.

sanders
Message 1 of 5
sphardy1
Apprentice

Re: hosting website

123-reg doesn't support dynamic IP addresses directly - they expect you to have a static IP address.

So your choices appear to be:

1. Get a static IP address and setup the domain in the 123-reg control panel to point to that
2. Find a Dynamic DNS provider that will allow you to use your purchased domain with their service (eg I think dyndns.org offers this, but as a paid-for service)
3. Setup a CNAME DNS record that points your domain name to the dynamic DNS name, also via the 123-reg control panel
Message 2 of 5
sanderslounge
Aspirant

thanks for the quick reply.

so for option 3. i cant use the current dyndns ip address to point at mysite.co.uk on the NAS incase the isp resets is that correct?
Message 3 of 5
sphardy1
Apprentice

correct
Message 4 of 5
Singularity
Tutor

Did you sort your problem out?

From reading your thread am I correct that you have

1. created a share [say its called sites] on your Duo
2. you have re-directed web access on your Duo to this share.
3. within the 123-reg control panel you have re-directed your domain name to point to the share on your Duo

This might be http://xx.xx.xxx.xxx/sites

Is this the method you used?

I use this method and it works for me.

The xx.xx.xxx.xxx is of course your external ip address.

Regards
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements